Thread: Rootalyzer deleted my wife's Windows profile!!!

Default Rootalyzer deleted my wife's Windows profile!!!

Hi Folks,

I'm posting for the first time here, unfortunately due to a pretty big problem I have had with Rootalyzer.

I downloaded the program for the first time today, and ran a deep scan. After it finished, it reported all of my wife's emails and other files on her desktop etc... It also reported all of my emails. I thought nothing of it at the time, as I did not click anything that said delete or quarantine. I just closed the program, and continued my work as usual. My emails and all my files and settings were unchanged.

When my wife came home, she logged into her account, only to discover that ALL of her files, settings etc were gone, as if she had just created her Windows user account. Her emails are gone, her documents, everything is gone. The Windows Welcome center was back, indicating all her settings were gone as well.

We are running Vista x64 Ultimate w/ SP1 and all applicable updates.

Can someone please tell me if/where the program has moved the files so I can restore them? I can't find them anywhere on the pc atm.

I just don't get why it reported all my stuff and left it alone, but reported my wife's stuff and deleted it all?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jeebs

Quote Originally Posted by MrJeebs View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm posting for the first time here, unfortunately due to a pretty big problem I have had with Rootalyzer.

I downloaded the program for the first time today, and ran a deep scan. After it finished, it reported all of my wife's emails and other files on her desktop etc... It also reported all of my emails. I thought nothing of it at the time, as I did not click anything that said delete or quarantine. I just closed the program, and continued my work as usual. My emails and all my files and settings were unchanged.

When my wife came home, she logged into her account, only to discover that ALL of her files, settings etc were gone, as if she had just created her Windows user account. Her emails are gone, her documents, everything is gone. The Windows Welcome center was back, indicating all her settings were gone as well.

We are running Vista x64 Ultimate w/ SP1 and all applicable updates.

Can someone please tell me if/where the program has moved the files so I can restore them? I can't find them anywhere on the pc atm.

I just don't get why it reported all my stuff and left it alone, but reported my wife's stuff and deleted it all?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jeebs
    Errm... ok. It seems I jumped the gun. After a reboot, all of my wife's stuff was back. I apologize for the above post, as it seems it was unwarranted.

I have no objections to the thread being deleted should the mods find it appropriate.

Again, I apologize.

Hi there MrJeebs,

Glad it worked out.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Uff... when I started to read:

But luckily, RootAlyzer has no functionality to delete files from the results list; if you would want to use it to delete something, you would have to double-click each entry and press Delete there.

If personal files are shown, they were probably shown as "No Admin in ACL"?
    I might think about excluding home folders from this scan, since making them invisible there seems to be a standard privacy issue, and the dangerous situations of that kind would be in the Windows or other system folders only.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)