Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antivirrus overidden

Default Antivirrus overidden

Hello,

My "Windows Security center" reports that my "Antivirrus" program is turned off and suggests that I turn it on.
    I have no idea how to do this but any way, I followed a few threads from other forums and found that I could edit the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center

The value for the AntiVirusOverride was set to 1 which means that it is disabled (i'm told). I changed it to zero and lo....when i reset the machine, it is turned back to 1 so something has infected my machine but i cant seem to find anything to get rid. I run Spybot and ewido but they report machine as clean which suggests that the actual virrus is removed but the registry still alters on boot.

Funny thing though, The firewall in the windows SEC center was also constantly disabled. When i tried to turn it on I kept getting this message:

Cannot start ICS

this drove me near insane until I found a command line from a forum somewhere:

NETSH RESET WINSOCK

Or something like that but this fixed the fire wall problem straight away and I wondered if there was a CMD line or something similar which would fix the AntiVirusOverride command?

cheers anyway

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roper
    My "Windows Security center" reports that my "Antivirrus" program is turned off and suggests that I turn it on.
    I have no idea how to do this ...
    What anti-virus do you have?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I have:

Ewido
    Spy bot S&D
    Microsoft Anti spyware beta

Did have AVG, sygate firewall, Zone alarm, panda, Mcafee, norton and others but removed them all.

By the way, The security center tells me that:

"0.-1.208987893 reports that it is turned off."

Under the virus protection warning. Do you know what it is referring to or how i could find out?

Thanks for replying.

Windows Security Center was designed to help protect your computer by monitoring three vital security areas and alerting if there are problems in these areas:
    • Automatic Updates
    • Firewall
    • Virus Protection

Spybot has the following detections to alert you that the settings within Windows Security Center may not be optimal for Windows Security Center to alert you properly:
    • Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride
    • Windows Security Center.FirewallOverride
    • Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify
    • Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify
    • Windows Security Center.UpdateDisableNotify

You do not have an anti-virus. So by resetting Windows Security Center to alert you that there is a problem with your anti-virus is exactly what it is going to do and exactly what it was designed to do.

I suggest that you:
    1. Get an anti-virus.
    2. Replace the use of the Windows firewall with a better firewall.
    3. Keep your system's software up-to-date.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Same thing.

I do have anti-virus software installed (Avira AntiVir Personal Edition, Windows XP recognizes this software), and get the entry: Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride.
    I have my AntiVir Guard on all the time, and also let Windows alert me if it needs to be updated.
    So what does it mean?

OldBoy:

Go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > look at the right hand side of the window and check the settings under "Virus Protection" (expand if necessary). I believe that you have overridden the protections and that you will find a button labeled "Recommendations". If you click on the "Recommendations" button I believe that you will get a window that indicates something like:
    • I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself.

In other words, the following Spybot detection:

Code:
    Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
    Indicates that this prodedure was followed:

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan
    Windows Security Center was designed to help protect your computer by monitoring three vital security areas and alerting if there are problems in these areas:
    • Automatic Updates
    • Firewall
    • Virus Protection

Spybot has the following detections to alert you that the settings within Windows Security Center may not be optimal for Windows Security Center to alert you properly:
    • Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride
    • Windows Security Center.FirewallOverride
    • Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify
    • Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify
    • Windows Security Center.UpdateDisableNotify

You do not have an anti-virus. So by resetting Windows Security Center to alert you that there is a problem with your anti-virus is exactly what it is going to do and exactly what it was designed to do.

I suggest that you:
    1. Get an anti-virus.
    2. Replace the use of the Windows firewall with a better firewall.
    3. Keep your system's software up-to-date.
    Thanks dood,

can you suggest anti virus and fire walls which would be suitable?

Roper:

It appears that you used several antivirus and firewalls in the past and would probably be in a better position to list the pros and cons of each than I am.

I personally use Mcafee VirusScan ($34.99 (USD)/per year) and FREE ZoneAlarm (Free).

If it is for a single home computer (non-commercial use) there are free anti-virus and firewalls listed here (a few of which you didn't list as having tried):

Esteemed Member

Roper: If you don't mind my asking, why did you remove all those other Antivirus/Firewall programs? Were they not performing their functions? Or was there another reason?

Do you enjoy maintaining your computer or would you rather it just "took care of itself"?

Hey Bitman,

Good question: Sometimes I enjoy resolving problems myself and feel that each time I get a little wiser about pc maintenance (which I would like to know fully one day) however, it is slow going and i get bogged down in problems which take me ages to solve so my answer is really a bit of both:

I like it when a can successfuly resolve something and get new knowledge but don't like the fact that this takes too long and can leave me very anoyed.

Are you adept in this sort if thing?