Thread: New Installation bug...(?)

Default New Installation bug...(?)

hi. i looked for where to put this and couldn't find a more appropriate place, so please feel free to move this as required.
    i reformated my hard drive and reinstalled spybot. when i started spybot 1.5.2.20 and was going through the steps, i had created the backup registry, then checked for updates, which included the new rootkits. when spybot restarted, it didn't ask if i wanted to continue any of the steps that were skipped. (i think the check for updates was step 4 of 7). just wanted to let you know....
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paphs View Post
    ...which included the new rootkits.
    Include rootkits? I think you mean the rootkit plug-in. Also, there is no installation error/bug with Spybot-SD. You install it, follow the instructions, update, immunize. And done! There is no need to restart the computer. Spybot-SD does not give further instructions after it's completion of installation. If you wish, you may look in the "HELP" or check out the tutorial to use Spybot-SD in this site.

perhaps i didn't describe this well.... well, that's part of it. i never mentioned restarting the computer, i said when spybot restarted. i shall describe it again.

while installing spybot and going through the steps that come up when it first starts, it asks about the registry backup, i said yes, then it asked about checking for updates. i said yes. it installed several, some closed spybot automatically then restarted it. when it restarted it didn't ask if i wanted to immunize or any of the other steps that happened when i installed spybot on other computers...

Oh yikes. I know what you mean. There has been issues that Spybot users face problems during the installation wizard, because they download the updates when the installation is still going on.

The solution I can provide you is to uninstall Spybot-SD via Add/Remove Programs window at the Control Panel.

Install a fresh copy of Spybot-SD at:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Do NOT download the updates during the installation wizard. Download them after the installation is complete and immunize. Good luck.