Thread: Google Toolbar

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Google Toolbar

Hello,

I'm new to posting on spybot's forums but I have a problem I'd like your advice on. Yesterday I was informed by spybot that there was an attempt to change my registry keys. I clicked deny but it popped up again. I was attempting to open a link to a FAMILIAR website (this link is saved in my yahoo email). That was when I got the warning from spybot. Anyway, I denied it, then it came up and I accepted it. So when the new window opened my toolbar was different: the yahoo toolbar was gone, only the google toolbar was there. Moreover the drag down menus "File", "Edit", "Favorites" were not on my browser. The IE explorer icon was very large (I'm using IE 6 I do not wan to upgrade to IE 7). Then I closed the window and attempted to reopen it, the spybot warning came up again, I clicked accept and then saw the same window I had just mentioned above.

I then clicked on the spybot icon on my desktop, it never opened. Instead I got a "beep" noise. I tried 3 more times to the same effect. I attempted to open a new window from "Start" but nothing happened. I thenclicked "Star" again to open my computer but nothing happened. I then manually turned my computer off then on again and the browser was showing the drag down menus BUT the google toolbar was the only toolbar showing. I clicked on view and then got the yahoo toolbar visible again.

The same problem happened again today at ~ 6:15 PM (note this is about when it happened yesterday,too). I clicked on the link to the same site I had yesterday (a link I've clicked for many months now) and had the same problem mentioned above. This time, though, I just clicked restart for my computer. When I did so, I then accessed spybot and here I am at the forum asking for advice.

This is no doubt google spywar. I do own a website and I rely on google analytics to track my site visitors. I have google adsense ads and Double Click which is an affiliate program owned by google also advertises on my site. I also use google email for certain things although I use yahoo for 85% of my email and searches.

This is something that has just happened. I do know that spyware is prevalent and google has admitted to reading users' email. Also I am aware that adsense and DoubleClick do have tracking cookies installed on my computer. I also know that google, yahoo and MSN do offer users the option of making whichever of them you access to be your homepage. I used MSN as my default but two months ago I made yahoo my homepage.

I am not very familiar with computers, I'm still learning. So many of the operations and lingo will be unfamiliar to me. But I am very convinced that google is attemptint to change my browser settings to remove the yahoo programs that I have installed.

I ask for your advice and assistance.

Thank you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when I experienced the problem today, I also got a low memory warning which is another indication that something was amiss.
    Last edited by computer_user; 2008-05-21 at 02:05.