Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm confussed!

Default I'm confussed!

I was looking through the Add/Remove Programs list on my Desktop, and saw two entries for S&D -
    Spybot - Search & Destroy
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20
    I thought the first one was an obsolete old version, so I removed it.

That was the end of S&D on my Desktop. So.... I reinstalled it from the download I had saved a while back. The problem is, it won't get the updates, and the website seems to be down. Is that a temp. problem?

Also.... I took a look at Add/Remove Programs on my Notebook, and it also has both S&D entries. Is that correct?

Although, I can't use SD on my Desktop (it want's me to do the updates first), I took a look at Add/Remove Programs on the Desktop (where I just reinstalled it), and it shows only one entry now - Spybot - Search & Destroy, even though I had run spybotsd152.exe to reinstall it.

What appears in your Add/Remove Programs?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jleites:

Please read post#2 in this thread:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks for the info., but why can't I get updates, or get into www.safer-networking.org/ ?

jleites:

Quote Originally Posted by jleites View Post

So.... I reinstalled it from the download I had saved a while back. ...
    What version of Spybot - Search & Destroy are you actually running (Spybot > Help > About)?

If you are not running Spybot 1.5.2.20, upgrade to Spybot 1.5.2.20.

If you are running Spybot 1.5.2.20 and you have a firewall the updates in Spybot 1.5 are done using SDUpdate.exe not SpybotSD.exe as in the past. Therefore SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet through your firewall.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

it says Spybot 1.5.2.20. When I click "update", I get the popup with the flashlight. After a while it comes back and says "No newer updates are available", but I know that's not right, because this morning, after I messed up and uninstalled it, I installed the download I had from 2/08. Also, if I click on Search and Destroy - Check for Problems, I get an error message telling me I have to install the detection updates. And like I keep saying, I can't bring up the web site, I think something is wrong on the Spybot end.

jleites:

What firewall are you running and have you authorized SDUpdate.exe to access the internet in your firewall?

Are you accessing to the internet via a proxy server?

It's not the firewall, but thanks for mentioning it, somehow my XP firewall got turned off. I'm sure the problem is that the web site is down. I found a posting in another forum, posted in February with the exact same problem that I'm having - http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic99882.html

The solution there was:

http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates...d_includes.exe
    these are the updates you require
    Download
    And run

That worked for me, it's scanning as I type.
    And BTW, now that I've uninstalled and reinstalled, I only have one entry in Add/Remove programs for Spybot 1.5.2.20, it is "Spybot - Search & Destroy"

jleites:

... I'm sure the problem is that the web site is down. ...
    And I'm sure that it is not down. From the Update downloads.log:

Code:
    5/22/2008 12:01:21 AM Downloaded update info file. (http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini)
    5/22/2008 12:02:12 AM downloaded update Detection rules: Supplemental
    5/22/2008 12:02:12 AM  - URL: http://www.spybotupdates.biz/updates/files/supplemental.zip
    5/22/2008 12:02:12 AM  - Local file: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates\supplemental.zip

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    jleites:

And I'm sure that it is not down. From the Update downloads.log:

Code:
    5/22/2008 12:01:21 AM Downloaded update info file. (http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini)
    5/22/2008 12:02:12 AM downloaded update Detection rules: Supplemental
    5/22/2008 12:02:12 AM  - URL: http://www.spybotupdates.biz/updates/files/supplemental.zip
    5/22/2008 12:02:12 AM  - Local file: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates\supplemental.zip
    Hummm... What happens when you click on www.safer-networking.org/ ?

My Firefox browser times out, and IE I get:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

The same thing happens on my Notebook. It used to work

jleites:

Hummm... What happens when you click on www.safer-networking.org/ ?
    I get Spybot's home page: