Thread: Which forum is the support forum ?

Default Which forum is the support forum ?

I am having a problem and would like to post on the correct support forum but none of the forums listed appear to be a support forum.

The problem is when I click the check for problems button.
    I get:

Error
    You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater.

Can anybody help me or steer me to the correct forum to ask my question?
    Thank you in advance.
    Jim
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-05-30 at 19:49. Reason: Mod: moved to Spybot-S&D support forum

Smile Updating

Quote Originally Posted by jharpj View Post
    I am having a problem and would like to post on the correct support forum but none of the forums listed appear to be a support forum.
    Hi Jim,

The forum you would be looking for would be the Spybot-S&D forum. It is for everything about Spybot Search & Destroy including support, suggestions ect

You have posted in the Tavern:
    A place to chat or ask general questions, no politics or religion please. Questions related to Spybot-S&D support/tools, or requests for Malware removal, should be posted in the appropriate forum. Not in the tavern. ;-)
    Now moving on to your problem:

The problem is when I click the check for problems button.
    I get:

Error
    You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater.

Can anybody help me or steer me to the correct forum to ask my question?
    Thank you in advance.
    Jim
    You need to update Spybot S&D's definitions database before you can scan:

From the main window click either the 'Search for Updates' button or the 'Update' tab

The external updater will pop up. Now press the 'Search' button. Spybot will look for any definition updates here - if there are updates, pick a server from the list and tick all the updates (you can also right click and choose 'select all')

Finally click download and Spybot will do the rest!

You should be able to check for problems now

Faqs: How to Update

Regards,

honda
    Last edited by honda12; 2008-05-30 at 19:47.

Yes I have done that and when I go back to the updates area I get:
    "No newer updates are available."
    and -
    when I click the check for problems button.
    I still get:

Error
    Jim

Hello Jim. Are you using the latest version of Spybot-SD? The latest detection updates are on March 28, 2008 (which is a Wednesday in the U.S.).

If you are using the latest version of Spybot and the problem continues to persist, I will suggest you download a fresh copy of Spybot and reinstall it. But FIRST, tell me how it goes.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jharpj:

If you have a firewall you must authorize program SDUpdate.exe to access the internet via the firewall before attempting the update.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

When I attempt to remove SB I get this message:

Error
    The uninstall log file "C:\program files\spybot - search and destroy\unis000.dat" is in a format not recognized by the version of the uninstaller. Cannon uninstall.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

jharpj:

Although I do not believe that reinstalling will resolve your problem and since you can not uninstall, just reinstall over the previous installed version.

The integrated update facility within Spybot-S&D starts by downloading the following file:
    • http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini

The "No newer updates available" should appear in a second or two if you were actually contacting the update server and there were in fact no updates to download. If it is taking about 30 seconds for the "No newer updates available" message to appear, then the attempt is probably timing out without connecting to the update server. Unfortunately Spybot 1.5 no longer returns Socket Error messages when you fail to connect. See:

If you have a firewall the updates in Spybot 1.5 are done using SDUpdate.exe not SpybotSD.exe as in the past. Therefore SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet through your firewall.

After authorizing SDUpdate.exe in your firewall, if you still can not update using the integrated update facility, you can update the includes files manually by downloading and executing the spybotsd_includes.exe file. The file is located on the following Web page:

The current download item is:
    • Detection updates 2008-05-28 - product description
      md5: C59ABCFBC4DDC29037981BD3FFA08177

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Wink

Okay the problem seems to be solved and I will post what I did just in case the info well help somebody in the future.

It is possible that I was unable to remove SB because I had done a system restore and was attempting to remove an SB version installed with a different uninstaller at a different time. (does that make sense?)

I undid the system restore and was then able to unistall SB then redid the system restore, uninstalled SB & reinstalled the newer version which appears to be working okay.

In simple terms I think my problems were all related to my having done a system restore.

Thanks for everybody interest in my problem.
    Jim
    Last edited by jharpj; 2008-05-31 at 20:12. Reason: spelling