Thread: AVG 7.5 says hosts file changed; Immunizer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default AVG 7.5 says hosts file changed; Immunizer?

Hello,

I've installed Spybot on May 28th and on May 29 I activated the immunizer function.

I am using AVG 7.5 as an antivirus. Prior to installing spybot, I did a complete system scan with AVG and it came back clean.

Spybot picked up a lot of tracking cookies, which I got rid of easily, but without the immunizer, every time I used my browser I would pick up more tracking cookies.

On May 29 I activated the immunizer. Today I ran a routine complete scan with AVG 7.5 antivirus. I have AVG set to not automatically heal stuff--in case of false positives, I want to look into things first before I let any antivirus do something to a file. (My former security software picked up several false positives, I felt like I had to protect my computer FROM my security software! )

Today's AVG scan said the following had changed:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

I see from checking the properties that the date and time of modification coincides with when I activated the immunizer. AVG says 'no threats' were detected, but it has documented this hosts file change.

I just want to verify that this is normal, that immunizer would have changed the hosts file. I see there are also backup host files in the "etc" folder.

BTW, I haven't picked up a single tracking cookie since the immunizer has been on and things are working great.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Amethyst:

The immunization item "Global (Hosts)" under Windows adds Spybot's HOSTS file entries to your system's HOSTS file. So it's normal if that item was checked when you immunized.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up.