Thread: Teatimer shutdown problems

Exclamation Teatimer shutdown problems

Hello,

When I shut down my computer, I see a quick flash of TeaTimer having a problem shutting down. It shows a quick small screen showing Teatimer and I'm given a short alloted time to "end now and lose settings" or let it do it's thing. Whether I "end now" or let it do it's thing....when I start up my computer again...TeaTimer asks me all over again to allow or deny settings I've already answered.

I've currently resorted to shutting down TeaTimer entirely prior to shutting down or restarting my computer and this usually takes care of keeping my TeaTimer settings previously answered. But, this is only a quick fix. I shouldn't have to be doing that, exposing my computer to changes I might not be aware of during shutdown time.

What can be causing this? Has anyone else experienced this and found the fix?

Thanks,
    LTS11

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

I personally have never gotten messages concerning TeaTimer during shutdown. However the fact that TeaTimer does not save its settings (snapshot files) during shutdown has been noted.

The first time you use TeaTimer it takes snapshots of Registry entries and stores them in the following locations:
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots

On subsequent uses of TeaTimer it compares these snapshots with the system Registry when it starts. It also appears that when TeaTimer starts the snapshot files are read into memory and maintained there and that they are only rewritten when TeaTimer closes. During system shutdown (or restart) it appears that TeaTimer is terminated and does not have a chance to rewrite the snapshot files.

Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshot files were last saved.

If exiting TeaTimer just prior to shutting down the system is a concern, consider periodically refreshing TeaTimer's snapshot files at a more convenient time as follows:
    • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
      • TeaTimer closes.
      • TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
    • Restart TeaTimer:
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
      • Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

I realize this is not a fix but it is an alternative.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.