Thread: Possible FP for aamd532.dll and SpyPry

Default Possible FP for aamd532.dll and SpyPry

I pride myself on running a clean computer, avoiding nasty sites, updating Windows, McAfee's, Spybot, and Ad-Aware on a regular basis, etc.

For the past several years I have run Spybot and found nothing more nefarious than a half dozen tracking cookies or so, but today when I scanned, I got a hit for SpyPry, specifically a file named aamd532.dll in my Windows/system32 folder. This file name does not show up in my registry. I believe I last scanned with Spybot in late April and didn't get a hit on anything more than cookies.

My operating system is Windows XP Home, Service Pack 2.
    I'm using Spybot 1.4 with definitions updated today...I believe the definitions had dates from the last week of May. The hit on SpyPry came as a result of a scan to find problems.

Researching the filename, I see that it can possibly be a legit file related to MD5 hash files. My file is 10,572 bytes and was modified on 4/17/1999. It was created on my computer on 3/4/2007 with about 10 other files in the system32 folder several of which have an OCX file extension, comdlg32.ocx, and richtx32.ocx, among others.

I scanned the file with McAfee's Security Center and it didn't find a problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

Danny in Yorktown, VA

Quote Originally Posted by hokiewolf View Post
    My file is 10,572 bytes
    Oops, actually it is 10,752 bytes. Also, I am using IE6.0 and Firefox 2.0.0.11...forgot to mention the browsers though I'm not sure why it's necessary to mention them. Also, didn't see an edit button, so I'm replying to my own post.

hello,

thank you for reporting this issue. I can confirm that it is a false positive.
    Updating to Spybot S&D 1.5.2 should resolve this issue, detection rules for Spybot 1.4 will be adjusted with the next update.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.