Thread: Spybot not loading in Vista

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rio de Janeiro ("Secure" [=cyber café] account)

Default Spybot not loading in Vista

Hi guys, I'm running Vista Starter, and Spybot doesn't want to run!
    The shortcut is automatically set to admin rights, i continue on the Control for the program without a filename... a black screen (SDMain?) comes up, then nothing happens!

Intel 1.8ghz proc (i think), 512 MB RAM. anything else? - ChrisWar666

Hello ChrisWar. Have you read the suggestions made by Zenobia?

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27868

That happens when you doubleclick the Spybot shortcut?
    i continue on the Control for the program without a filename
    Is that User Account Control?

Rio de Janeiro ("Secure" [=cyber café] account)

Unhappy

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in responding but I've been busy taking care of a month-old puppy... and the wireless connection i 'borrow' at home has been dodgy...

Anyway, to the problem:
    drrag: The problem is I can't even get into Spybot, teatimer -is- running, and the security centre (if you mean the vista SC??) shows that spybot is not updated....

zeno: I'm going through the start menu on a shortcut automatically configured for admin, but also happens when i right-click the SDMain file. updated to a 1.5 beta after i posted, but now it seems to not load at all, even without admin privileges. going to try 1.6....
    Yep, twould be the User Account Control screen. it's after that that the black window (i guess sdmain) shows up, disappears and then nothing happens.

Any ideas? - Chris

Edit / p.s.: Also have AVG 8, which I understand mistakes some immunizations for threats, but that wouldn't stop Spybot opening, would it??
    Last edited by ChrisWar666; 2008-06-13 at 02:13. Reason: Added info

Chris: The latest version of Spybot-SD (stable) is 1.5.2.20. Beta 1.6 is a beta, which means it is not perfect. If you want to consider trying out for v.1.6 I would recommend that you wait until the RC (Release Candidate) is released.

You have tried the Run as Admin" correct?

I would suggest you upgrade to 1.5.2.20. Then update and immunize. Can you uninstall the version you have now?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWar666
    I'm going through the start menu on a shortcut automatically configured for admin, but also happens when i right-click the SDMain file
    Not sure if this is the problem,but it's worth mentioning,just to check.If you're rightclicking SDMain.exe in Program Files,then that isn't the main
    spybotSD.exe. SDMain.exe is the Spybot-S&D security center launcher.(I checked and doubleclicking it does open a black window,though Spybot does launch after that for me.)

And your start menu shortcut,is that a custom shortcut you set up,or did you just set Spybot in All Programs to always run as Admin?

If it is a custom one,is it possible maybe you created a shortcut to sdmain.exe on the start menu,thinking it was the main SpybotSD.exe?

spybotSD.exe is now hidden in Program Files.
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1...,00.html#vista

You do have a 1.5 beta Spybot?What version do you have?If you're not sure,click Help,then About.

Are you running any firewall that prevents Spybot from starting?
    It wouldn't start at my PC with ZoneAlarm - I had to de-install both and re-install Spybot first and then ZoneAlarm...

lion: A firewall will not prevent any program from starting up. It will, however, enable it permission whether to access the Internet though.

I've never heard of any HIP programs such as Comodo Pro that might hinder the activation of Spybot.

Chris, when you double click or "Run as Admin", do you see the loading bar?