Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spybot not loading in Vista

Default Cheers All (Zen)

OK, I was using the RC, then I had this problem and decided to try the beta (it was a 1.5 beta only).
    Thanks for the firewall help, I checked (and rechecked and rechecked and rec...) but it was all ticked (looked like it wasn't that).
    drrag, running as admin -just- showed the black screen, the loading bar didn't appear.

Zenobia, thanks for that! I've corrected the shortcut (I can't remember if it was mine or SB's..)
    I did set the SB shortcuts already existing to run as admin, but how it moved from spybot to SDMain I don't know!
    As above, do/did have a 1.5 spybot, was showing hidden and system files, but didn't know about there was -another- system files option in vista! have now seen the file and it seems to be running now, hope it'll work after!

- Chris

You're welcome.Hope it kept running okay.
    If you had/or have a Spybot 1.5 beta,those are quite old,the Spybot 1.5.2 version is a final release:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html
    The latest beta out is 1.6:
    http://forums.spybot.info/announcement.php?f=4
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29109

Twas shortlived.. last night when i made that post i managed to open up the spybot interface in admin mode, it acted as though it was a fresh install (technically a fresh install for the beta, not for SB), taking me thru the setup/tutorial screens.
    As it was late (11! i know, i'm getting old ) i went to sleep. shut the laptop up, which puts it to sleep. opened it up today, and SB's gone back to not opening. Will have to see if it works after a reset.
    I have a 1.5.2.2 beta. will probably try and get the 1.6 beta (i like to try, even if i'm not -that- clever) - Chris

I hear you,my eyelids start to droop around 11:00 p.m. now,too.

The non-beta final release of Spybot is version 1.5.2.20.If that is the version number listed under Help,then About,then you should have the most current final release.

Is the black sdmain window still appearing when you try to start Spybot?

Here you go Zen, have some Brasilian coffee :D

Mmm I didn't go through Help | About (can't start the program..), I went through Props | version number of the spybotSD executable.
    I adjusted the shortcut to point to spybotSD instead of SDMain...
    I also downloaded the distributed testing service, and i'm getting (Could not start service!)... seems to work when i use the stand alone tho!

I think I mentioned that I have AVG 8, which is what prompted me to see what spybot picks up regarding adware...

ah well, any help, again, would be appreciated - Chris
    Last edited by ChrisWarFi; 2008-06-15 at 19:50. Reason: Spelling corrections :)

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    I hear you,my eyelids start to droop around 11:00 p.m. now,too. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWarFi View Post
    Here you go Zen, have some Brasilian coffee :D ...
    Compared Energy Drinks, Starbucks (I don't know if it is Brasilian coffee or not) will cure those droopy eyelids (or give you a heart attack):
    • Starbucks:
      • Starbucks Brewed Coffee - Average Caffeine Level: 210mgs in each 16 ounce cup (13.2mgs per oz.)
      • Starbucks Doubleshot - Average Caffeine Level: 120mgs in each 6.5 ounce can (18mgs per oz.)
    • Energy Drinks:
      • Red Bull – Average Caffeine Level: 80mgs in each 10 ounce can (8mgs per oz.)
      • Amp – Average Caffeine Level: 71mgs in each 8 ounce can (8.8mgs per oz.)
      • XS - Average Caffeine Level: 85mgs in each 8.4 ounce can (10mgs per oz.)

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks,lol.Looks like I need it,of course you can't go through Help,About if you cannot start the program.

I haven't tried the distributed testing service as yet,so I'm not familiar with it.

Okay,in SpybotSD.exe Properties the file version listed should be 1.5.2.20 on the details tab for the latest version. Spybot 1.5 versions below that number are outdated beta versions,and should not be used,as 1.5.2.20 is the latest final release.
    If your file version is below that,then you might want to uninstall the older version,and install the latest final version.
    http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html
    http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html
    If your file version on the Details tab in SpybotSD.exe Properties is 1.5.2.20,then you have the correct version.
    If you want to beta test,you'd need a current one,which is 1.6 and up,as I understand it.

So,after adjusting your shortcut the sdmain window doesn't open anymore,but Spybot still will not start?

Lol,md,no Starbucks close by.But Tim Horton's coffee can keep me up for a week or so,if I get an extra large.

Rio de Janeiro ("Secure" [=cyber café] account)

md, that proves it! Coffee pawns everything else (i can't/don't want to drink energy drinks. red bull says it's taurine is synthetic... but i don't trust them! :D)
    looks like starbucks coffees come from various places, but they -do- have a brasilian blend (maybe only sold in packets...) :P

Yep, it is 1.5.2.2, but I'm sure i downloaded the beta version before 1.6... strange!
    That's correct, adjusted my start menu shortcut, then (when it doesn't want to work) my computer thinks for a bit, then goes silent again.
    When it does want to work, it thinks for a bit then shows the loading bar and loads normally. Ran a scan afterwards and everything's ok, looks like it was just AVG picking up spybots immunization (although bizarrely, i quarantined in AVG and spybot didn't detect any un-immunized entries...)
    Also Spybot is set-up to request admin permission from within the program, by default, so we(I) don't need to set to always run as admin.

Thanks for the help, but still not sure why it works sometimes and doesn't others!

There were no unprotected items listed in Spybot's Immunize section after you quarantined what AVG found?

Please try booting into safe mode,and starting Spybot,let me know if the program seems to load okay then and/or if it loads quicker.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...l61.html#vista

Have you been having any other noticable problems with your computer?

Rio de Janeiro ("Secure" [=cyber café] account)

Hi again Zen. Will do a safe mode boot when I get home. Spybot didn't show anything unimmunized after the quarantine, but that could be something to do with the startup pattern of SB (look at the other post about someone really ANGRY with SB; everytime SB starts the hosts file is rewritten, not sure if it does so with other immunes..)

Other problems.... not really, just a bit of lag in games (more to do with bad connections and bad graphix card than adware, as HL1 & 2 lag when they have to process complicated things offline, and the sims 2 doesn't show textures correctly..)

- Chris

Adware found by AVG: Generic, ISearch, TitanShieldAntispyware, NewDotNet. All in HKLM/Soft../micro../IExplor../ActiveX Compatibility