Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Spybot not loading in Vista

I was thinking of that,which was partly why I was asking if you were having problems with other apps and how your computer was running,etc.
    But if you do have Vista Starter Edition,then from what I could find,512 MB of Ram is over the minimum requirements.Minimum is 384 MB ram,recommended is 512 MB,maximum is 1024 MB.That info is under system requirements here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx
    Plus,I was thinking that if not enough ram was part of the problem,you would think Spybot would run slow when scanning also.But 31 minutes isn't too bad of a scan time in normal mode.
    Though if shutting down some other processes helps,perhaps you might be on to something.You could try a couple times shutting down less important processes and running Spybot,and see what happens.

I also asked for help,so I'll tell you some suggestions after I go get them.

Okay,md usa spybot fan suggests that you might want to uninstall all copies of Spybot (if there are more than one) and start over.You might want to unimmunize and uncheck Teatimer and sdhelper first.
    How to uninstall:
    http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html
    When you reinstall,you should probably let the shortcuts be generated from the installation.You can just set the default shortcuts to Run as Administrator(properties-advanced).

Looks like Spybot is installed to C:\Arquivos de Programas and most of your other programs appear to be installed in C:\Program Files.That probably wouldn't cause any problems,but to be on the safe side,md says you might want to install to C:\Program Files.md thinks everything will install to C:\Program Files if you install in English,and after the install you could switch the language if you need too.

Rio de Janeiro ("Secure" [=cyber café] account)

Hi Zen
    I kill less important processes anyway, doesn't help free RAM much, but it makes me happier that there's less c**p around ;P.
    The problem with the game is due to bad graphics (integrated) and low(ish?) processing power.

md/Zen: Hmph! That's just a trick to make me beta-test, isn't it?! Ah well, guess it's time to take the plunge.
    I only changed the shortcut to try to get SB to run properly, as when I tried to locate the file I couldn't (did have hidden files on, but this critical system file stuff from vista is what had me), so I redirected it to what I thought was the file (SDMain).
    No need to do Run as admin, SB automatically requests elevated privileges

Directories: No no, the computer (OS)'s just bilingual, some interfaces in English, some in Portuguese. Arquivos de Programas & Program Files are one and the same. I had a scare with this as well, trying to find one or the other. Not sure if it's a vista feature or not, but -all- OS-created dirs have the same thing (Users & Usuários), it's just folders specifically created by a program/user that have to be exact (no-one actually translates program names, but it would be something like "Anti-spyware" OR "Anti-Espião").

It's just started raining here in Rio, so I'll install 1.6 b now :( - Chris

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Chris (ChrisWar666 or ChrisWarFi):

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWar666 View Post
    ... Directories: No no, the computer (OS)'s just bilingual, some interfaces in English, some in Portuguese. Arquivos de Programas & Program Files are one and the same. ...
    I think it's strange because both are shown in the Spybot System Startup report in post # 27 and the startup entry for TeaTimer is the only one pointing to C:\Arquivos de Programas. I would assume that if that were a case of "... some interfaces in English, some in Portuguese ..." that a single report would not detect the difference.

That's why I questioned the fact and because I assume the pointers in the shortcut to SpybotSD generated during installation would most likely point the same directory (C:\Arquivos de Programas) as the startup entry for TeaTimer which is C:\Arquivos de Programas and you are the only person that I recall having a "it works sometimes and sometimes not" problem.

Where does the SpybotSD.exe shortcut point to?
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-06-23 at 22:33.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Rio de Janeiro ("Secure" [=cyber café] account)

Hi md. I did a little research, didn't find much in English (as everyone would see program files in English Vista), but did in Port. Apparently Program Files is the "Physical" name, while the language specific name is "Virtual".

I guess the fact that teatimer references AdoP has to do with the install date, at that time I hadn't put (tried to put, don't know what I did!) English on here, so it installed "knowing" the Portuguese name, so teatimer references AdoP.
    Mmm! Zonealarm does actually think they're different files, it must hard-wire the "shown" path, not the virtual path.

Yep, SB's start menu shortcut -does- point to AdoP, but Vista recognizes this as Program Files, so it loads from there. Anyway will uninstall/reinstall tonight - Chris

How is it going?