Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which AV for my old and deing computer?

AH GOD!!! HOW COULD I LET THIS HAPPEN?! So i couldn't remove symantec (needed password) so i told my dad to get it for me since he had it and well he told me to call at&t for help?? I just played along to not get him mad so i called maybe they could help me.. lets skip forward... so i get it removed and then the person helping me downloads "Perfect uninstaller". I go are you sure you know what you're doing because your looking for random stuff on google i see... you sure this program is safe to use?? She says yes but when she started using it (Oh btw she was using remote control), so when she started using it, it performed a scan for left over registry files from symantec and when she hit remove it said you have to register before removing all the stuff... i shut the phone and computer, quickly install avg and now im doing the boot-up scan and see if avast finds it as a virus.

Never call at&t support plus team.... they don't know what they are doing.

Edit: I don't think that program did anything to my registry because spybot wasn't flashing with any warnings..
    Last edited by xxchronic2007xx; 2008-06-05 at 02:21.

Quote Originally Posted by xxchronic2007xx View Post
    Never call at&t support plus team.... they don't know what they are doing.
    Well Spybot's TeaTimer would flash a warning say like when a start-up entry is removed. Okay this is my long explanation and response to your entry:

First off, I would strongly suggest you DEFRAGMENT your drive! I'm not saying it's critical... but it WILL affect your OS's overall performance. I was helping out an elder with their computer the other week. They said it was sluggish and horribly slow. Everything will take minutes to open.

Found out the it was a horribly fragmented drive with lots of red bars .

I'm telling you... defragment your drive. It'll make your computer run faster.

Now that's done... you should not have more than one AV (anti-virus) installed. It's not good. It WILL conflict. Do you have more than two AV's installed?

You requested help for a AT&T representative , lols. A good uninstaller, I personally use would be REVO UNINSTALLER. It gives a variety of uninstallation (Safe removal, moderate, or advanced removal). The... Perfect Uninstaller sounds a bit fishy. I'm skeptical. Have you removed it? Did that program successfully remove Norton?

Norton IS or AV should remove with no problems at all . Can you REVO?

What is your current AV?

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Well Spybot's TeaTimer would flash a warning say like when a start-up entry is removed. Okay this is my long explanation and response to your entry:

First off, I would strongly suggest you DEFRAGMENT your drive! I'm not saying it's critical... but it WILL affect your OS's overall performance. I was helping out an elder with their computer the other week. They said it was sluggish and horribly slow. Everything will take minutes to open.

Found out the it was a horribly fragmented drive with lots of red bars .

I'm telling you... defragment your drive. It'll make your computer run faster.

Now that's done... you should not have more than one AV (anti-virus) installed. It's not good. It WILL conflict. Do you have more than two AV's installed?

You requested help for a AT&T representative , lols. A good uninstaller, I personally use would be REVO UNINSTALLER. It gives a variety of uninstallation (Safe removal, moderate, or advanced removal). The... Perfect Uninstaller sounds a bit fishy. I'm skeptical. Have you removed it? Did that program successfully remove Norton?

Norton IS or AV should remove with no problems at all . Can you REVO?

What is your current AV?
    Sorry, i forgot to add i did defragment and had a lot of red bars but its all good after i defragmented

I installed Avast! AV. I have windows defender, Avast, and Spybot S&D. I have an old norton firewall sitting here and AVG anti-spyware which i should uninstall..... isn't there a norton remover from their website? If you dont know can you give me the link to REVO please? Oh yes almost forgot, i removed that uninstaller.... it didn't seem to do anything to my computer

AT&T rep

Last edited by xxchronic2007xx; 2008-06-05 at 20:57.

Alright .

Norton Removal Tool:
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Revo Uninstaller:
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

Auslogics Disk Defrag:
    http://www.download.com/Auslogics-Di...-10567503.html

Here is my explanation of these tools:
    The Norton Removal Tool will remove ALL Norton products from your computer. As for the firewall, I would suggest a good reputable firewall like ZoneAlarm Free and Comodo Pro.

I would suggest you run Norton Removal Tool first before REVO because the tool is a good bet that it'll remove all the products. Next, I can say that you can use the SEARCH function in Windows Explorer and delete all Norton related folders. You can just click on SEARCH in any window on the desktop.

Two AS (anti-spyware) programs will do on your PC.

Next, time I would suggest you defragment with Auslogics. There are many other defragmentors on the web, but I feel that Auslogics is small, fast, and gives a good explaination. I just find other programs, which defragment, large, bulky, tedious, and constantly running in the background... so called "defragmenting" when idle.

Tip is that you should defragment every two-three weeks. If you computer is acting... "sluggish" it may help to defragment your drive.

Thanks for the help,
    I used the defragger that came with windows XP under control panel and Peformance and Maintenance. I did a thorough scan with Avast! and found 8 infected files, mainly all trojan generators and adware generators and before my symantec would every now and then show warnings for trojans and adware.hotbar so i think Avast! took care of them!

I'll run the norton remover later because i have to go soon.

Thanks for all the help again,
    XxChronic2007xX

Glad to be of help.

Cool yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by xxchronic2007xx View Post
    hi,
    What Do You Guys Think? Will Avast! Use Up Less Recourses Than Symantec Av?
    Thanks For All The Help,
    Xxchronic2007xx
    Yes Very Much Soooooooooooooo!!!

Just out of curiosity...where did you guys learn so much about this? Did you guys go to school for it or are you basically self taught?
    "Sure, I'll take the advice of someone with no background in IT training. lol"

angie: Self-taugh .
    --
    http://forums.whatthetech.com/Senior..._D_t92128.html
    --

I never thought about "computer classes" until you mentioned now. I pick up new knowledge everyday. There's always more to learn.

First post on the link gives a brief introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by angie1313 View Post
    Just out of curiosity...where did you guys learn so much about this? Did you guys go to school for it or are you basically self taught?
    I'm self taught, I am going to go to school for computers soon.