Thread: Install Spybot problem

Default Install Spybot problem

Am trying to upgrade Spybot (from 1.4) to 1.5……

Progressively over the years since originally installing Spybot, I’ve accumulated 3 different folders in C>Prog----—(1)--Spybot Search & Destroy; (2)--Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3; (3)-- Spybot S&D 1.4

I followed the Uninstall instructions given by Spybot---ie: Used Add/Remove

I then proceeded to the Install part…..

I chose the ‘default’ location……That gave me a message saying the folder already exists and asked if I wanted to install anyway…..I said—“Yes”……The next screen gave me what options to install---including “Main Files”---Here’s where I stopped because---The offer of the “Main Files” is greyed out….

I then double-checked what folders / files are still on my computer…….I still have the same 3 folders in C>Prog…..

I double-checked the Add/Remove section……Spybot is no longer there…

Help-----What should I do now….???…….Thanx.....ps----Signature should show AVG 8...Will correct that....
    Last edited by codysmom; 2008-06-04 at 10:41. Reason: Signature should show AVG 8...Will correct that....
    Dell Dimension 2300 / Pent 4 / WinXP-SP2 / IE 7 / AVG 8(Free) / SpybotS&D 1.5/ AdAware 2007/ HJT / AOL 9 Security Edition S E

Default Look inside the folders

It is quite possible that when you uninstalled the applications there were some files left behind (this happens almost all the time using the windows Add/Remove Programs control panel).

After you have restarted your computer (in case any of these files were in use when you attempted to remove the older version of SpyBot), check inside the folder in question and look for files that may still be sitting there. (Make sure you can see hidden files & folders). If you have files in there, evaluate whether it is safe to delete them or if you need them still on your system. Many times, things that get left behind are items like log files or ini files which are completely worthless once the application is gone from your computer.

If the folder is empty or the only things in the folder are insignificant, then try to delete the folder. If it says "Renaming, moving or deleting 'your folder name' could make some programs not work. Are you sure you want to do this?" say NO. If you get to this point, something either did not go well with your uninstall or things were left behind in the registry and are still holding on. Get a decent registry cleaner and run that a few times, reboot and try again.

Once you do that, you should be able to install the program without the warning... of course you could just install the program to that folder anyway but that could lead to an uglier situation down the road, your call
    a very wise man once stated:
    "If you seek an answer, ask politely, if you know the answer, answer knowingly." -- Thanks Grandpa
    ----
    If you follow rules and etiquette people will be more helpful.

I would be careful about the registry cleaners if I were you. I would only use it during cases such as the the "unproper" uninstallation. I would personally suggest CCleaner. It offers both a registry cleaner and all-in-one cleaner.

drragostea & t001z.......Thank you both for your responses.....Will do some more research.....Thanx again....
    Dell Dimension 2300 / Pent 4 / WinXP-SP2 / IE 7 / AVG 8(Free) / SpybotS&D 1.5/ AdAware 2007/ HJT / AOL 9 Security Edition S E

What I was thinking to resolve this program... is manually deleting the Spybot program file in MY COMPUTER. But first cody, you have to uninstall Spybot. Do this via the Control Panel> ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
    --
    To avoid conflicts... disable SDHelper and TEATIMER. Also undo the immunization before un-installation.

Before deleting the Program folders, cody tell me how it goes with the installation. I'll give you further instructions afterward.