Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update that will not install F/P Fixes

Quote Originally Posted by lava1 View Post
    hi Mark

what do u mean by higlited word do I download it to my desktop....I am sorry about this plus I don't understand your picture what dose this mean...I don't mean to be dumb I am trying to figure what you mean...Thanks

no ones dumb,

look at the post syntec made and these words " download the file a"
    they are blue click on that and a file will download, save to desktop, then unzip, to the updates folder in spybot. rerun spybot search and destroy.

i need run out for awhile i hope this helps you, and remember your not dumb,

Quote Originally Posted by mark5019 View Post
    thank you i did that and now i have 4 things not protected when i imunize
    That’s a bug in a recent update (not the false positive fix). There’s a post about it.

I don't know how to do that I am a older man and don't know how...do you think it will be fix that is the only one I can not download....Thanks
    1. Close Spybot
    2. Click on the “the file” part of my previous post (it’s a hyperlink)
    3. Save it to Spybot’s Updates folder (the default is C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates)
    4. Run Spybot and do an update

If it does not work out, don’t worry. You can just wait until the bug is fixed. It only matters if you happen to do a scan which and only if it just happens to include one of the false positives in question. If you’re not doing a scan before the next update, it won’t matter at all. If you do, then just double-check any hits the scanner gives before deleting them, and if in doubt, don’t delete it and check here.

thank you i found that thread after i posted.
    can you help lav1 hes unsure.

thank you again

Hi,

The best I will do see later today if they fix it...and just wait maybe they will be aware of it and they are working on it...If not I will try to download it to my desktop and unzip it from my desktop
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mark5019 View Post
    look at the post syntec made and these words " download the file a"
    they are blue click on that and a file will download, save to desktop, then unzip, to the updates folder in spybot. rerun spybot search and destroy.
    Actually, don’t extract it, just save the ZIP file (fpfix.zip) to the Updates directory and run the updater. It will detect the zip file and extract it for you (after doing its checks since one or more files in there may or may not be needed).

Hi Synetech,

Would it be better to wait for a fix on it or not....

and if I do need to download it should I save it to my update in *Search and Destroy* Folder....I use Firefox has my browser....I am trying to learn what to do sorry in asking so many questions Thank you

Would it be better to wait for a fix on it or not....
    They’ll fix it soon enough, so unless you intend to do a scan today and expect to get the false-positives that are fixed in the update (you probably won’t get them), then there’s no need to rush.

and if I do need to download it should I save it to my update in *Search and Destroy* Folder....I use Firefox has my browser....
    If you want to try to manually update just for the sake of being as up-to-date as possible, or for the sake of learning computers a little more, then:
    1. Click this link: fpfix.zip.
    2. Select Save to Disk and click OK
    3. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates
    4. Click Save
    5. Run Spybot
    6. Run the Updater
    7. Select (check) the F/P fix and click Download

It should now register that the fix is applied and using the updater again should say that there are no more updates available.

HTH

I am trying to learn what to do sorry in asking so many questions Thank you
    No problem. Asking questions is the easiest way to learn.
    Last edited by Synetech; 2008-06-04 at 17:43.

I just noticed that there are several copies of the fpfix.zip file in my %temp% directory with random names (eg xjqs936y.zip, ghvqb123.zip, etc.), so it is indeed being downloaded but getting “lost”.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Synetech:

How are you associating the files "xjqs936y.zip, ghvqb123.zip, etc." that you found with Spybot's fpfix.zip download?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I opened one and saw that it contained the files in fpfix.zip (FPFix.sbs and AdvWhite.sbs), then compared them and found them to be binary-identical to fpfix.zip.

It seems to be fixed now. Thanks.
    Last edited by Synetech; 2008-06-04 at 20:12.