Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, beta 1

Quote Originally Posted by pfrank View Post
    I have installed the 1.6 beta on both my home PC and my work PC and have completely different experiences on the two computers. Both run Windows XP Pro SP2 and the hardware components are similar. The major difference is that the work PC is connected to a network.

With version 1.5 both had similar times for scans. At home, 1.6 runs noticeable faster than 1.5. At work, 1.6 is very significantly slower. For example, this morning I started a scan before I left for a meeting at 9am. It is now 12:40pm and the progress bar is between a third and half way.

Any ideas why?
    A followup: I have been away from my computer all day except for two 10 minute periods before this. It is now about 14:30 and the scan that I started at 09:00 is now about two thirds done according to the progress bar. The only foreground process running during this time has been the scan. It appears that the scan frequently stalls for several seconds before continuing.

Now that's quite spooky!
    We had stalls on huge temp folders, but that was also with 1.5, that's why 1.6 is now offering to clean it up.
    Do those "stalls" mean that nothing happens, or is the hard disk lamp showing heavy disk access in that time?
    Is there a difference regarding antivirus application between those machines? AVs might be a bit conflicting in that they scan each file before it's processed by Spybot-S&D, but even that should - in theory - be reduced; unless the AV would now see more suspicious things in Spybot than before.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Teatimer

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    @niko32: TeaTimer starts up slowly? Or does it just take longer until its icon appears? TeaTimer scans all running processes, so a growing database size could be the reason; in which case the improvement for the Explorer plugin ("single file scan") would be something TeaTimer would earn an improvement from as well.
    It takes longer until icon appears. I watched it in task manager during startup and it seems that Teatimer.exe very slowly consumes memory until it reaches around 40mb and then icon appears. So I guess it is scanning.

Usually Teatimer Icon appears after 1min and 30s and sometimes Icon just won't appear for even 3 or more minutes.
    Problem is that it hogs my CPU on 99% during that time, hence making almost impossible and very slow to run any other program and that is very annoying, especially when I have to do something quickly, but instead I wait and pray for icon to appear and release my computer from it's grasp.

[QUOTE=PepiMK;201444]

@GrailKnight: browsers are usually detected by looking for their prefs.js (preferences) file. If you use just one, I would recommend that you search your harddisk for any prefs.js file, and rename the unused one (make sure it's a Firefox prefs.js, other Mozilla products use files of the same name; the folder usually makes it clear what it belongs to).

That explains a lot and I know exactly where the extra prefs.js is located. My backup of Fx that I create daily during beta testing.

Appreciate the quick response.

Thanks

Now that's quite spooky!
    We had stalls on huge temp folders, but that was also with 1.5, that's why 1.6 is now offering to clean it up.
    Do those "stalls" mean that nothing happens, or is the hard disk lamp showing heavy disk access in that time?
    Is there a difference regarding antivirus application between those machines? AVs might be a bit conflicting in that they scan each file before it's processed by Spybot-S&D, but even that should - in theory - be reduced; unless the AV would now see more suspicious things in Spybot than before.
    During the stalls I did not notice any disk activity according to the lamp. I noticed the stalls by watching the count in the status bar; it stopped incrementing. There is a difference in antivirus applications. My home PC uses AVG free v8. The work PC uses the corporate version of Norton AV.

I attached a screenshot on how it should look to this post. That shows that it should look quite like you suggested
    Unfortunately [for me], on the 4 XP systems I have access to (one of which is a rather fresh XP SP2 install), that is not what I see. Instead I see this:

I do see it properly under Vista though. Just no luck under XP.

I've done some initial searching on Common Controls and do seem to have it installed (at least I find mscomctl.ocx and comctl32.ocx). And I tried installing the latest CC updates from Microsoft (as well as the VB6 runtime package which some sites I found suggested). I even tried to manually register comctl32.ocx with REGSVR32 which another site claimed could help. Nothing worked.

I would guess if I'm seeing this on multiple systems it might be a general issue (or at least not uncommon), so I'll keep trying to figure out what's wrong and post the fix if I find it. With enabling this tab now being in the plan for an install option with 1.6, it may end up being useful for others if I can figure out why it's not displaying properly for me.

Of course, if you used separate columns for the "Malware" and "Heuristic" results, Common Controls issues wouldn't be a problem - and you'd have better compatibility with pre-XP systems... But I suppose if the long term goal is for an interface based method anyway, it's not worth worrying about.

Thanks yet again for the additional info!

Unfortunately I encountered a failure in the "automation" settings:
    When having checked
    "automatically run ..on systemstart"
    and then later tried to uncheck this box it didn`t work.

I could check "no automation" and automation was finished but now it cannot be reactivated. Both "green dots" were seen simultaneously.

BTW: I cannot find this registry entry to disable temp folder cleaning.
    Neither in HKCU nor in HKLM or by searching.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

barbossa:

The problem is usually caused by denying the registry changes in TeaTimer when changing the automation for SpybotSD.exe.

To correct the problem:
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
    • Check "Run program once at next system startup" and allow the registry changes.
    • Then check "No automation" and allow the registry change.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

1.6 is much faster than 1.52 . thanks . will there be setting for ff and opera like in 1.5 , or am i dreaming that there were protection for ff and opera ?

@jerry66: Immunization knows a handful of Mozilla variants and Opera as well.
    No direct plugin yet though; a Firefox suggestion is on the bugtracker, if anyone with Firefox addon (XUL + DLL combination) knowledge wants to help, he or she would be very welcome, until then it would probably have to wait until someone finds the time to work himself into FF from scratch.

@barbossa: this one? will work only with 1.6 beta 2 which is not out yet, and of course it does not exist, these tweaks need to be created by hand, they're not very "official"
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)