Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, beta 1

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that if you searched on something that was an exact single result topic match in the index it wasn't hanging for you.

Thanks for the further clarification on the partial scanning. After reading your post and now looking more carefully I see what you mean.

I am, however, running XP but still do not see "regular" or "heuristic" headers - nor any headers anywhere in fact. Am I missing something obvious here too?

It would be nice if the interface could show that more clearly at some point in the future. Perhaps either separate the list with a gap and show "Regular:" above the first and "Heuristic:" above the second. Or it might look even cleaner if you had just one list (showing only one entry for each file) and then had separate "Regular" and "Heuristic" columns for the results. Of course, I suppose the trade-off there is that it might get cramped (and/or require using the scrollbar to see everything).

Would it perhaps help to [eventually] change the entire way this is done and have partial checks load the full program interface? In other words, add "Scan with Spybot-S&D" to the Explorer context menu and do away with the properties tab method. Would that do anything for [post-interface/database load] scan performance?

Of course that would be more of a longer term goal request. Certainly not as important as turning the beta gold.

Quite frankly, I'm just happy to have the feature at all. It's not really "slow" in the sense of being unusable - just slower that the regular scan. Ultimately not that big of a deal.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Zer0 Voltage; 2008-06-12 at 02:25.

In the long term, a system service will keep a scanner ready (even now, we could probably misuse TeaTimer for that, which has a scanner ready - but it is not used by everyone), so that would make that unnecessary.

That could probably lead to a separate scanner window, right (which would have the additional advantage of possibly allowing to be scripted for other single-file scanning purposes than from the Explorer as well)

I attached a screenshot on how it should look to this post. That shows that it should look quite like you suggested
    The background: blog entry. Beginning with XP, Microsoft shipped version 6 of the "Common Controls" libraries. Only with this version, these headers between list items are supported, and they do not ship that version for older Windows versions. This version 6 is responsible for most of the change in look in XP, and applications need to include a "manifest" that tells Windows that they should use this newer version. Windows Explorer has one, I just tested with Total Commander, and it's fine as well. Are you maybe using some other file manager and opening the dialogs from there?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Speed improvement, Annoying dialog

Greetings

Very significant improvement in scan speed on my system:

v.1.5.2.20 (full scan) - 30 minutes

v.1.6.0.25 (full scan): - 14 minutes

Also much faster startup for Spybot and Teatimer, although Teatimer is still much slower starting up than it used to in 1.4 and earlier.

Platform: Win XP Pro SP2, 32-bit Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.0GHz, 1 GB RAM

Though, one annoyance for me is inability to turn of "temporary files cleaner" dialog which is popping up on startup in this version.
    I know it has reason to be there, but since I like to manually check my temp files, It would be nice to have some option too turn off that dialog from appearing at startup.

Maybe there is some way to turn it off in beta or I should hope for that in future final release?
    Last edited by niko32; 2008-06-12 at 12:11.

Default TeaTimer again

Sorry for posting in this section but Teatimer slow startup lingers on in this version too. I've been searching through forums and never found real solution. Is it only on some configurations or is it general problem?

I'm having this issue ever since 1.5 and it is really bothering me because I use TeaTimer as my resident protection.

Can you finally clarify this Teatimer issue? Thanks

Default Firefox listed twice in Immunization Window

First off great program & forum. Thanks

I looked for an answer to this minor problem but only found a couple of threads that did not have a concrete answer or I just did not see it.

Issue: Firefox v3 RC 3 is listed twice in Immunization Window of Spybot v1.6b1.

My Profile is not in the default location which would be in WinXP:

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

but located in C:\Program Files/xxxxxx

Is there a registry entry I can edit to remove the 2nd Fx listing?

or

Perhaps a workaround to remove the 2nd. listing. I have already tried a full Fx and Spybot uninstall then reinstalled Fx first then Spybot 1.6 beta 1but the second entry returns.

Thank you in advance.

Decided to try out the beta a nice improvement in scanning speed, a full scan went from around 8 minutes down to around 3.

Would it be possible to add an option to disable the tip of the day though?

Default SSD1.6beta1 on WinME

Very nice job, especially on the expanded Immunization page. K-Meleon browser is 'protected' now as well as Firefox 20014, Operas 8xx and 927, and also IE6 (fwiw). Some anomalies that are in SSD152 remain for me in this beta (will take those to another thread), but a few minor graphics glitches(?) are new - the tiny 'favicon' images seem somehow corrupted (like scanlines through most of them so they appear a bit ghostly and incomplete on the Immunization page and a few other places).

A bit rough on the initial update and scan, but the beta settled in quite well after a few adjustments. Comparative currently:

SSD152 Immunize=55136 scantime=17:11
    SSD16beta1 Immunize=98988 scantime=11:06

Lol, Tip of the Day's a good way to tell the two apart for me

@niko32: TeaTimer starts up slowly? Or does it just take longer until its icon appears? TeaTimer scans all running processes, so a growing database size could be the reason; in which case the improvement for the Explorer plugin ("single file scan") would be something TeaTimer would earn an improvement from as well.

@GrailKnight: browsers are usually detected by looking for their prefs.js (preferences) file. If you use just one, I would recommend that you search your harddisk for any prefs.js file, and rename the unused one (make sure it's a Firefox prefs.js, other Mozilla products use files of the same name; the folder usually makes it clear what it belongs to).

@Broken Hope: I did add a boolean tweak named "DisableHintOfTheDay" for beta 2, works similar to the other recent ones on the bugtracker

Default Speed

I have installed the 1.6 beta on both my home PC and my work PC and have completely different experiences on the two computers. Both run Windows XP Pro SP2 and the hardware components are similar. The major difference is that the work PC is connected to a network.

With version 1.5 both had similar times for scans. At home, 1.6 runs noticeable faster than 1.5. At work, 1.6 is very significantly slower. For example, this morning I started a scan before I left for a meeting at 9am. It is now 12:40pm and the progress bar is between a third and half way.

Any ideas why?