Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, beta 1

Ah, finally people with similar times to mine
    Nice to read you again, spy1

Re Help: that's spooky, since the help hasn't been upgraded yet, is created with Microsofts own HTML Help Workshop (no thirdparty tools).
    Question: does the help file behave similar badly when opening directly from Windows Explorer (it's a file English.chm in the Help subfolder in the Spybot folder).

Re Hosts Scan: good point, wasn't aware of the difference there, added a feature request we'll try to implement before release the next beta

@Syst: see introduction Q&A, it won't
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    Re Help: that's spooky, since the help hasn't been upgraded yet, is created with Microsofts own HTML Help Workshop (no thirdparty tools).
    Question: does the help file behave similar badly when opening directly from Windows Explorer (it's a file English.chm in the Help subfolder in the Spybot folder).
    Not for me. Only happens when I open it through the Spybot interface.

Oh, and the scan times within the "Spybot-S&D" tab (added by registering sdfiles.dll) are also significantly slower than normal scans. Not sure if that's a true bug or not.

Esteemed Member

Help file works fine when opene4d directly in Windows Explorer.

v. 1.6 = 10 minutes
    v. 1.4 = 40 minutes (I never successfully upgraded to 1.5.2.)

I get the app hang too when searching an index item. However, this does not occur in Windows Explorer. Mine is error 1002.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Hang
    Event Category: (101)
    Event ID: 1002
    Date: 6/9/2008
    Time: 5:35:36 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: XXXX
    Description:
    Hanging application SpybotSD.exe, version 1.6.0.25, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67 ion Hang
    0010: 20 20 53 70 79 62 6f 74 Spybot
    0018: 53 44 2e 65 78 65 20 31 SD.exe 1
    0020: 2e 36 2e 30 2e 32 35 20 .6.0.25
    0028: 69 6e 20 68 75 6e 67 61 in hunga
    0030: 70 70 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 pp 0.0.0
    0038: 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 .0 at of
    0040: 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 fset 000
    0048: 30 30 30 30 30 00000

This is on XP Home SP3. I have saved a minidump if it may help.

Ah, finally people with similar times to mine
    Nice to read you again, spy1

positivly not: opened from explorer, the help works correctly.
    Opened from S&D it hangs (WP prof SP2) but can be closed normally

@Hosts scan issue: possible improvement implemented and forwarded for testing

@Zer0 Voltage: loading the database costs a few seconds, that's a trade-off for regular scanning speed that cannot be gotten rid off.
    For this case, I've added another feature request.

@Help issue: going to look into that next, thanks for the feedback Re: Explorer!

Update to the help issue:
    Bug tracker

What I noticed is that the index entries that cause the crash are actually those that would, when run from explorer, show a popup to allow the viewer to select a sub-entry, while those that do not crash Spybot-S&D are those that lead directly to a page.

@Zer0 Voltage: loading the database costs a few seconds, that's a trade-off for regular scanning speed that cannot be gotten rid off.
    Sorry about that, I didn't explain what I was referring to clearly enough.

This is not an issue with single file scanning. Nor is it an issue with the initial database load time.

This "slow scanning" I am referring to is the scanning that takes place after the database loads.

In other words, lets take an example of a folder with 20 files in it. You either select the folder or go inside and select all the files, bring up the properties, and click on the "Spybot-S&D" tab.

Initially, you see a list of all the files with "... waiting ..." next to all of them.

Then the database loads. In my testing, this initialization takes 8-10 seconds.

Then you start seeing the file scanning progress. As each file is scanned, the "... waiting ..." message changes to "nothing found" (at least when nothing is found... which is what I will assume for this example). Also during this time, the progress bar along the bottom is progressing.

It is that post-database load file scanning progress which I mean is noticeably slower than a normal scan (from the full interface). One file scans, wait..., wait..., another scans, wait..., wait..., another scan, wait..., wait..., wait..., and so on.

Normal scans just fly across files. In this case, there is a very distinct pause between each file changing from "waiting" to "nothing found". The pause is certainly not 8-10 seconds like the initial wait used to load the database, but it's also no where near as fast as a normal scan.

Stranger still is that in most cases (for me), after each pause, 2 files are scanned simultaneously - meaning 2 files will change to "nothing found" at once. But the pause is still longer than expected for even a double-file scan. It's really the scan time as a whole (after the database load) which is noticeably slower.

That's not to say I'd complain if the database load time could be shortened too...

What I noticed is that the index entries that cause the crash are actually those that would, when run from explorer, show a popup to allow the viewer to select a sub-entry, while those that do not crash Spybot-S&D are those that lead directly to a page.
    I couldn't reproduce that. Every search hangs for me if I go through the Spybot interface.

Quote Originally Posted by barbossa View Post
    Opened from S&D it hangs (WP prof SP2) but can be closed normally
    This also isn't true for me. I cannot close it normally. I have to force it shut or kill it from the Task Manager.
    Last edited by Zer0 Voltage; 2008-06-11 at 02:53.

@Zer0: understood that speed you mean is the one I refer to in the feature request as well.
    That you'll see two entries is due to one being a "regular" scan, and one being "heuristic" (assuming that if you're looking at one specific file, you want to be even more paranoid than during a regular scan), the later being the cause that this scan seems to take longer.
    On XP or later, this listview control would show "regular" vs. "heuristic" as headers, making it easier to recognize.
    What you see "fly through" during a full scan cannot be compared "by file" I'm afraid. I think this'll become easier in the course of the next weeks, there's also some documentation waiting to be published

As for the help, I spoke about the "index" where this happens. On the search tab I agree, all searches freeze.
    Still looking for the source of the problem, it's not a general problem with our help file handling, but "special" to Spybot-S&D, probably conflicting with something I haven't found yet.