Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, beta 1

Thanks !just changed my registration to match my donation email . so jerry66 is now nas66 .
    keep up the great work . I've been using spybot since the begining , first time i paid for it , not the last though . never had a credit card so no paypal .
    so far no problems with 1.6 .

Smile

I have just installed and tested SSD 1.6.0.25 and find it a great improvement: many congratulations!

For the record, my system is running XP (Home edition) SP3 on a 1.7Ghz P4; 512 MB memory; Avira AntiVir free, Comodo Firewall Pro, Memory Firewall, and BOClean.

I have used SSD 1.5.2rc1 (=1.5.1.19) since January, averaging 27.5 minutes per scan, although increasing slightly over time, presumably because of added detections, although a change from AVG to AntiVir may also contribute. I tried 1.5.2, but was not pleased: it took around 50 minutes per scan (only two were done, though).

With SSD 1.6.0.25, my first scan was 19.5 minutes and about 4 minutes of that was scanning bookmarks (see below). Very nice improvement from 1.5.1.19 and a dramatic one from 1.5.2.20.

Now a suggested option: I have four browsers on my system (IE7, FF2, Opera 9.5, SeaMonkey) and go to some trouble to keep their Bookmarks/Favorites synchronized. There is surely no need to scan them all and, as noted above, it would save around 15% of the scan time to scan only one. So an option to select one browser only would be very nice.

I would also suggest making the Hint of the Day optional, except that others have already done that. I vote with them.

You guys have outdone yourselves.

My average scan times have gone from about 50 minutes to under 15. Wow! Well done (1.6 Beta 1 vs 1.5.x)

Regards,
    Charles

Default I'll "remained" you, too.

Sirs, madams, and whomever else:

A pox on you, fie, out, out damned "remained"....

If one allows 1.6.0 to remove temporary files, and if the process finds that some of said files are in use and, therefore, cannot be removed, 1.6.0 has the temerity to report that said files are "remained."

"Remain" is an intransitive verb, as in "I remained" appalled when I saw that strange message in 1.6.0.

I remain your obedient grammar corrector,

Me, myself, and the remainder of whatever remains.

See! That guy *points at Always Confused* has delayed beta 2!

Thanks for the correction If I understood it correctly, it would have to be "... files are in use and remain."?
    And while I'm at it, I noticed that I partly wrote temporary files, and in other cases Temporary Files. Updated that as well to lowercase in all instances.

Looking into one final DelZip issue test now, then I'll compile beta 2
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

I'd say that delaying beta 2 was hard work, but as causing trouble is one of the few things at which I am good....

"...are in use and cannot be removed" might be even better.

I'm glad you caught the inconsistent use of upper and lower case.

(I'm not going to take up space writing about how much faster 1.6 is than previous versions, as that has already been done by others. Therefore, this parenthetical addition is not visible, and shall so remain.)

I was using 1.5.2 and decided to download 1.6.0.25 and test it out to see if it was better and i was not disappointed. The scan time was cut in half and i have had no problems with it. Thanks very much

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Spybot 1.6 Beta 1 - Minor typo in installation "Confirm" dialog.

During the installation I received the following "Confirm" dialog.

Confirm

Spybot - Search .Destroy has detected that you have the following products installed. This may cause incompatibilities; for more information, click Yes to visit our website, Ignore to now longer show this warning, or just Cancel.

LavaSoft AdAware

[Yes] [Cancel] [Ignore]
    I believe the "now" should be "no".

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanks, fixed
    After beta 2 though, that's uploaded and I just need to post that link
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Small problem in 1.6 beta

when using the update button on the left side in doesn't give enough time to be able to choose the beta updates or the other languages update
    For the fastest, safest browsing experience get Google Chrome