Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, beta 1

See other sticky, beta 2 is out.

But the behaviour you described is intentional. Some people want the window to need as few clicks as possible (left side button), some want more action (other button).
    Options are still available from the regular settings screen, or if you run the updater from Spybot-S&D's start menu group
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default 1.6 beta disk tab problems

I have had to uninstall Spybot S&D twice since it is hanging up my system due to the huge amount of time needed to scan the files by the "sdfiles.dll" tool. How do I turn this off and scan system manually when I need to since I have 1-2 TByte (terabyte) drives and it takes over 15min to even get a properties menu?

I have unregistered the sdfiles.dll, but that means i have to stop using Spybot. Is there something in the install i can set that will allow me use the new Spybot 1.6 without having it scan my files on all drives and all folders? I don't need that level of "babysitting" and the performance hit is huge.

TIA
    Nanouk
    Windows XP SP2
    HP AMD Dual core, 4GB memory
    400GB internal drive
    3-2TB Western digital USB2.0
    Spybot 1.6 beta (temporarily uninstalled)

I'm not quite sure what you refer to.

SDFiles.dll is a single file on demand scanner, which should not do anything unless you open up the corresponding tab on the properties menu. Just opening the properties dialog itself should not cause any delay.

It is also just registered with files, not with drives, so the size of drives has absolutely nothing to do with the time it'll take.

And why would unregistering SDFiles.dll mean that you have to stop using Spybot-S&D? SDFiles.dll is purely optional?

Are you doing a Select All on all files on the root level of a drive, and selecting properties then? That would be a very... sub-optimal... approach As I wrote above, it's for checking single files, if you want to scan the whole system, the main app is a much better choice (especially since SDFiles.dll does not deal with the registry and various API stuff obviously).

Default More on sdfiles.dll performance

I guess I don't understand fully why when I open a properties menu on a folder that has only 3 items, it opens almost immediately, but when I open a properties menu on my C drive, it takes almost 5 minutes and when I click on the Spybot S&D tag, there are thousands of files with status of ...waiting... ?
    When I uninstall Spybot S&D, the sdfiles.dll stays around and registered with the system (regsrv32 /u in safe mode gets it finally).

Without Spybot installed, everything returns to normal with drive property menus opening up immediately. What am I missing?

Don't get me wrong, sir, I LOVE SPYBOT! I have used it for years and have donated every chance I get. I am not denigrating your fine product, but trying to understand its operations so I can continue to use it fine features.

Is there anywhere you can point me to how these internals are suppose to operate so I can be a bit more knowledgeable on their use and features without having to take up your time?

Thanks in advance,
    Nanouk

Default (both betas) 'lost' K-Meleon Immunization?

Posting in this thread since I uninstalled beta2 ..

Somehow, the SSD16beta(s) 'lost' the Immunization for K-Meleon .. possibly due to a Registry cleanup I did after uninstalling two previous KM versions prior to installing the present K-Meleon v115. At first the KM Immunization was merely not there in the GUI on the Immunization page (..\Immunization.ini had all 4 KM Imz in the text). No joy in getting it back on the Imz page - either Registry or absolute path was different (KM keeps profile in parent dir if single user, so .. one of the previous versions was multi so /that/ profile was in a subdir of WINDOWS rather than parent dir as now). How does SSD detect for Immunizations of profiles? I'm a bit confused as Opera also does the parent dir profile arrangement and that's fine as far as Immunization goes (properly detected and Imz'd both my 8 and 9 profiles), Firefox is in the usual WINDOWS subdir (only one version and profile) & MSIE is /wherever/...

Undid the remaining Imz for both betas on their GUI pages (2nd only had one FF 'remnant') and uninstalled both, then cleaned out 'remnant' files+dirs. Then did a fresh install of beta1, updated and *still* no K-Meleon Imz. Oh well, why I ask for how SSD detects profiles for Immunization - it /was/ oki for awhile with KM, but now seems to not do as it did previously.

current Imz and scantime (beta1 on WinME):
    Immunizations=72755 scantime=11:51
    (previous Imz w/ K-Meleon in list, 99202)

K-Meleon has a lot of changes behind it already, might be it's different again

Early versions used <$PROGRAMFILES>\K-Meleon\Profiles\profiles.dat as the index file for profiles. Quite bad of course.
    Soon afterwards, it went to <$APPDATA>\K-Meleon\registry.dat, which is more the Mozilla/SeaMonkey style (plus <$APPDATA>\Roaming\... and <$APPDATA>\Local\... for Vista of course).

Just guessing, do you see a file <$APPDATA>\K-Meleon\profiles.ini now? That would be the Firefox profile scheme that more and more Mozilla clones are using.

Or did they switch to the FF3 base already? But that should be supported in the stand-alone immunization demo then.

Default nope

Since the new install was for single-user (not multi-profile), the profile is in the parent dir C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\Default\********.slt dir - kind of like Opera seems to work (parent dir). No K-Meleon subdir in either ..\WINDOWS\Application Data or the ..\All Users\Application Data dir now. No profiles.ini file at all for K-Meleon now, even though there *is* a profiles.ini for Firefox in ..\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox dir for my FF v20014

Yah, KM is an underfunded project but I like it , afaik they're staying a bit off the FF path but still gecko

I don't quite see this as "single-user", more as "single-admin-user", since a single user might still be (should be) a restricted user account, which would have no write access there Unless single-user does not only mean just one person using it, but one person with just one account... well, anyway, I'm drifting away from the compatibility issue

What would be important are the files you see in C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\ then. Next to the Default subfolder you mentioned, are there any files in there? The profiles.dat I mentioned? Or a registry.dat file?

Profiles themselves could actually be anywhere if the user moves them, so this one profile control file (profiles.dat, registry.dat, nsreg.dat, profiles.ini, ...) is the important one Spybot-S&D uses to locate profiles.

Default yep

..\Profiles\ both a pluginreg.dat and a registry.dat

as well as the \default\ dir

Ah, thanks a lot, that is the information I needed
    In that case I'll add support for the registry.dat file there to the next release!