Thread: baidu.com in hosts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question baidu.com in hosts?

Hi.

I just noticed the latest Spybot's hosts file has Baidu.com's search domains listed. Why are they in the list? Does Baidu (not its search result links) supply bad malwares or something? I know some people use this specific search engine for Chinese stuff and were wondering why they couldn't connect.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by antdude; 2008-06-06 at 17:22.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

antdude:

Threads discussing Baidu:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    antdude:

Threads discussing Baidu:
    Interesting. I did not remove bar.baidu.com because I did not want the toolbar. I guess I will manually remove the baidu.com search engine domains for now on.

When did Spybot add these baidu.com? Just curious.

antdude:

The following entries were added 2008-04-16.
    • www.baidu.com
    • baidu.com
    • bar.baidu.com

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    antdude:

The following entries were added 2008-04-16.
    • www.baidu.com
    • baidu.com
    • bar.baidu.com
    Thanks.

Strange, I still cannot connect to baidu.com in IE6.0 SP2, but it worked fine in SeaMonkey v1.1.9. I checked IE6's restricted sites zone list (empty now) and hosts (kept bars.baidu.com blocked). Did I miss anywhere else?

antdude:

The URLs are also blocked by the SDHelper BHO:

Code:
    6/7/2008 2:54:50 PM  Blocked HTTP://BAR.BAIDU.COM/: BaiduBar (Blacklisted URL)
    6/7/2008 2:55:45 PM  Blocked HTTP://WWW.BAIDU.COM/: BaiduBar (Blacklisted URL)
    6/7/2008 2:55:52 PM  Blocked HTTP://BAIDU.COM/: BaiduBar (Blacklisted URL)
    To stop "SDHelper" from blocking these URLs, go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration" > then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" there are three options:
    • Block all pages silently
    • Display dialog when blocking
    • Ask for blocking confirmation
    Select "Ask for blocking confirmation" and click "OK".

Exit Internet Explorer and restart it.

When you encounter a URL that would ordinarily just be blocked in "Block all pages silently" mode, Spybot's "SDHelper" will issue a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog. The dialog allows you to either "Allow" or "Deny" the access and also allows you to select among the following options:
    • Ask me again next time
    • Remember for this session
    • Always react this way

When you encounter a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog while accessing one of the baidu sites you want to visit, select "Always react this way" and then "Allow" the access.

antdude:

Quote Originally Posted by antdude View Post
    ... but I found this that worked: Resident > Resident "SDHelper" (IE bad download blocker) active but that's global and not isolated site/domain.
    If you went into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident and then unchecked the following option under the heading "Resident protection status", then the SDHelper BHO is no longer active and the suggestion that I made no longer applies because you turned off the SDHelper BHO:
    • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.

Default Hello From Sailaphair

I'm a Spybot user from China...(My English is poor...)

After latest updates(2008-04-16), Baidu.com has been blocked by Spybot.
    It's quite unconvenient for the Chinese people who use spybot (just like me); if they also set the Baidu as their main search engine, than it's a big problem.
    Even though the main reason (for the block) is the baidu toolbar. I guess that it's enough to just block the toolbar. For there are also many useful services offered by Baidu. (I set Google as my main SE, but sometimes Baidu is also useful!)

And if I want to continue to use the Spybot, I have to manually remove the baidu enties from the Internet Explorers restricted websites and hosts file, and change SDhelp option. However after every update, I should repeat the work again. That will make me mad.

I know uninstallion of Spybot is not a solution. I should remove all the registry keys created by the Spybot such as those at the following location:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap]

So can you tell me what I should do now??
    Last edited by Sailaphair; 2008-06-07 at 19:05.