Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spybot crashes on start up

Ah! Brian... exactly!

Alright... I'm assuming that AdAware and Spybot is off... correct?

Open the fix... it will be in some text.

Save it directly to the DESKTOP. Right-click and MERGE.

That should do the trick.

Or,if you are using Firefox,you could just rightclick the this very small fix link,and select Save link As...and save it to your desktop.Then merge it.

If using Internet Explorer,you could rightclick and select Save Target As...and then save it to the desktop,and then merge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Or,if you are using Firefox,you could just rightclick the this very small fix link,and select Save link As...and save it to your desktop.Then merge it.

If using Internet Explorer,you could rightclick and select Save Target As...and then save it to the desktop,and then merge it.
    Did you see me there? Or was the super-speedy keyboard hiding it?

Lol,no,saw you this time.My super speedy keyboard slowed down tonight.

Cool belaboring the (perhaps) obvious

Quote Originally Posted by objectivebrianc View Post
    I took all the steps you suggested, but I think I am ready to clean the registry of Spybot. When I downloaded the fix, instead of getting the fix I get some text. I was wondering if there is something I should do with the text that I received. Also, if I used cclenaner would adjusting the registry be neccessary?
    Yep, text is the 'safe' way to display a .reg file in a browser. As pointed out, rightclick the link and "Save target as...", when the dialog box comes up make sure the extension is .reg or that the file is being saved as a Registration Entry. You'll know it's a .reg file if it looks more-or-less like this on your desktop. Rightclick that file on your desktop and Merge and it cleans the Registry of all the items you saw in the text-view here at http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg. CCleaner may or may not clean up all things SSD as thoroughly as the 'Full Monty' and that remove-spybotsd-settings.reg as a finale (be sure to delete that .reg after you're done or keep it elsewhere archived - it can do some serious damage to a re-install of SSD if you accidentally activate it . GL&HF

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Lol,no,saw you this time.My super speedy keyboard slowed down tonight.
    Wow, I saw Logitech's "Advanced Technology" keyboards and I was like: O.O.

The keys were like Apple thin and it enabled mouse movement and volume control. While I'm here at home, I'm stuck with that "box" monitor. However, it's pretty good (a Sony Trinitron Multiscan G200 17").

Odd how LCD monitors get really "sharp" and bad looking at 1280*1024 resolution.

After using the fix, a pop up description seems to have shown that as opposed to removing the entries in the registry, it has added them. After installing Spybot after the fix, the problem I described at the beginning of the thread still occurred, meaning nothing has changed.

It has me wondering if I should have taken additional steps before installing.

Any way Spybot SD 1.6 seems to have come out of beta, but I don't think I am ready to assume the problems I am dealing with has been resolved, in this new upgrade. So I continue to wonder what to do next.

Lightbulb out of curiosity.......

do you have problems with any other programs running? Such as having problems running programs, updating, etc.?

After using the fix, a pop up description seems to have shown that as opposed to removing the entries in the registry, it has added them.
    No,the Spybot entries would have been removed from the registry,not added.

The popup was letting you know that the data from the .reg file(this very small fix) was merged/added to the registry.

But the "very small fix" uses minus signs,which removes the Spybot registry entries,which you can see when you look at the text of the Spybot .reg file.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PepiMK Software\SpyBotSnD]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PepiMK Software\SpyBotSnD]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\SpybotSD.exe]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SpyBotSnD]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "SpybotSD TeaTimer"=-

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.disabled]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbb]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbe]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbi]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbs]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tnfo]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.uti]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.uts]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.DisabledFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBBFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBEFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBIFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBSFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.TInfoFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.UTIFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.UTSFile]
    Better explained here in the .reg file section,perhaps:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...try#.REG_files

Now,sorry for interrupting,129260.

Default you wer'nt interrupting

haha. You know more then me you keep going!!

I watch and learn, and ask questions haha.
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-07-12 at 06:47.