Thread: Help Interpreting StartUp Spybot Messages

Default Help Interpreting StartUp Spybot Messages

I am no getting 5 messages at startup from Spybot. I have been denying them, but I'm not sure if that is the correct action.

Could an exprienced user please let me know what the proper response to the following messages should be?

Message1

Category: System Startup user entry
    Change: Value deleted
    Entry: SpybotDeletingD3267
    Old data: cmd /c del “C\WINDOWS\wt\WDInUsePlug

Message2

Entry: SpybotDeletingB569
    Old data: cmd /c del “C\WINDOWS\wt\webdrive

Message 3

Entry: SpybotDeletingD2370
    Old data: cmd /c del “C\WINDOWS\wt\webdriver.dll

Message 4

Category: System Startup global entry
    Entry: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Reboot
    Old data: “C\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Antibalwar…

Message 5

Category: SCR Extension handler
    Entry:
    Old data: “%1” /S
    New data: “%1” %*

Obviously, Spybot is attempting to remove a entry during reboot since it was unable to remove it during a normal boot. I'm assuming it was successful, thus the entry of "deleted from startup" would make sense.

You should allow first 4. The last one I'm not so sure about.

Do you have MalwareByte's Anti-Malware? It's commonly used to remove malware from infected systems.

When did the messages appear? I'm curious mostly at the last one. Were you installing a program or removing a application?

Yes, I have just used MalwareByte's Anti-Malware to resolve the worst of my malicious script problem. It seems like it was a life saver so far. I assume that I should accept the fifth as well.

I'm not sure that this is the place to resurect this issue, but if it is not let me know if I should initiate a new thread.

I still can not get SpyBot to complete its normal scan. The system seems to freeze every time with this message displayed on the status line:

"Running bot check [156787/156787: Firefox - default - bookmarks]"

I do not use the Bookmark feature in Firefox so the only thing there is what came as the default.

As a result of this problem I never get any of the non-critical problems reported to me. I would love to clear up this issue.

Also...
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29129
    ---
    How did it go? Did you read my last post? Have you attempted to clear the cache, temp. files, and cookies from your browsers using ATF Cleaner or CCleaner?

I'm suspecting it has something to do with Mozilla Firefox.

To me, I'm assuming that scan is taking forever because Spybot stops at that point with is like 8/8.

Try following my advice above. Tell me if you need the links.

Questions and comments you made in referenced thread:

[I would suggest you use CCleaner or ATF Cleaner to clean the temp. files, cookies, and cache out of your browsers. The cookies may be a nuisance. So I usually clear my browsers after every session.]

I did download ATF-Cleaner and cleared out everything.

I then downloaded MalwareByte's Anti-Malware and ran it. It found quite a bit of garbage, which I let it correct. Funny thing the system turned to molasses during the correction process. I had to wait quite a while to make sure that it had completed its corrections. The system took forever to do anything.

[After cleaning, Spybot shouldn't detect any more cookies. Cookies like AdRevolver, Zedo, BurstMedia, etc. can be deleted with ease.] [Is Spybot still detecting anything?]

Spybot was clean immediately after running the two above programs. I ran it again after 8 hours or so and it had quite a few problem cookies. Most associated with Firefox. I am surprised because I assumed that Spybot would prevent new corruption of cookies in either browser.

[Edit: I read your thread in the Malware Forums... 144 infected objects... no so good .]
    I was really disappointed that I didn't get any response to my situation over there. I finally found this advice, in addition to your help, to be the most beneficial.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Before...lp_t57813.html

I'm hoping to get Spybot to function correctly soon. If I can't get it to complete its scanning process normally and report all the "questionable" conditions as well as critical ones, I'm not sure I will continue to utilize it.

In summary, my system is acting well compared to what it had been. Steps that I took which may have contributed to the improvement: Started using Spybot, ran windows sfc program, used the ATF-Cleaner program, and ran MalwareByte's Anti-Malware program. I think that last two were most beneficial.

My system seems to be running a little slower, but without malicious scripts. I would like to begin a process of cleaning up my system, backing up data that does not need to be on my hard drives, and initiating preventative routines. If you have any suggestions regarding any of that please let me know.

I appreciate that you were the only person that was willing to interact with me in resolving my problems. Thank a lot!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

gmb283:

The first three dialogs that you are getting are from Spybot removing objects. Allow the change on them and they should stop appearing at system startup.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-06-10 at 16:09.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

MalwareByte would be usually used on a infected machine (like I mentioned in the past).
    --
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29231
    --
    If it has been more than 4 days and you haven't received a response, you can submit a link to the Malware Thread in the WAITING ROOM.

What types of problems did MalwareByte find?
    --
    "Running bot check [156787/156787: Firefox - default - bookmarks]"
    --

Is Spybot still freezing? Or in other words can it complete the scan?

Spybot detection updates are released every week. Wednesdays in the U.S. There are countless cookies in the web nowadays. Spybot developers do their best to add new immunizations of cookies to the browsers block list.

I cannot advise you with other anti-spyware solutions. What I can advice you is that:
    ~I would suggest you run a scan every week.
    ~Defragment your driver. I wouldn't suggest the default Windows Defragmenter. A good third-party defragmenter I use is Auslogics.
    I use CCleaner after every browser session.

I have finally gotten a response to my post in the Malware forum.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=29231

My followup posting there addresses most of your questions in your last posting. I have never had Spybot complete the scan normally. I assume that its processes are running behind the scenes to monitor potentially damaging activity on my system. I will continue to update it, run the scan, and I will raise the problem in other forum areas if it seems appropriate.

I will also take your advice regarding defragmenting the hard drive very soon.

Thanks for your help.