Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: updating to version 1.5

Default updating to version 1.5

I have version 1.4 installed on my pc right now. Should I uninstall that version before installing the newer 1.5 version?
    Thanks!

Hello,

You can also install over the existing version.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I would suggest this link:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Sandra, wouldn't that be a possibility that there will be two entries in the Add/Remove Programs window?

I knew that there was a process for uninstalling spybot but since Sandra has stated that version 1.5 can be installed right over the older version (without any problems) I guess I will do that (since I'm not concerned with completely erasing the program from my pc).

Thank You Very Much

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

lmhjcr:

In spite of the recommendations of spybotsandra and drragostea, my recommendation is that you uninstall Spybot 1.4 (or even earlier versions of Spybot 1.5 prior to the installation of Spybot 1.5.2.20) according to the following directions before installing Spybot 1.5.2.20. There are several valid reasons I recommend this:
    1. Spybot 1.5 uses some different registry entries than those used in Spybot 1.4. Without deleting those registry entries they will become orphaned and just be wasteful entries.
    2. Spybot 1.4 and early versions of Spybot 1.5 (before Spybot 1.5.2.20) immunized in more registry hives than Spybot 1.5.2.20 does. Therefore even doing an immunization "Undo" under Spybot 1.5.2.20 will not remove those registry entries.
    3. Because of the way Spybot 1.5.2.20 is identified in the systems Add/Remove Programs facility, installing Spybot 1.5.2.20 without deleting prior versions can lead to multiple entries Spybot in the systems Add/Remove Programs facility.

To completely uninstall Spybot 1.4 including any system registry entries or files that may have been altered while using various features of Spybot:
    • Go into Spybot > Immunize.
      • Click "Undo" button (at the top of the right pane).
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
      • Uncheck (if checked) the following:
        • Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
        • Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > IE Tweaks.
      • Uncheck (if checked) any of the following "Miscellaneous locks":
        • Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers.
        • Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user).
        • Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user).
    • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file
      • Click the "Remove Spybot S&D hosts list" button (at the top)
    • Exit Spybot-S&D
    • Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
      • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident. TeaTimer should close.
    • Go to Windows > Control panel > Add or Remove Programs > Locate "Spybot – Search & Destroy x.x" > Remove.
    • Using Windows explorer, verified that the following folder has been delete. If not, delete it:
      • C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
      Note: If you were running "SDHelper" you will have to exit all Internet Explorer sessions and may have to restart your system in order to delete the program folder.
    • If you want to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot-S&D added during installation are removed, there is a .reg file available on the safer-networking.org WEB site that can do that (I recommend that you do this since some registry entries that were used in Soybot 1.4 are no longer used in Spybot 1.5). See the following article:

To install Spybot 1.5.2.20:
    • Download the installation program spybotsd152.exe from one of the mirror sites listed here:
    • Execute spybotsd152.exe.
    • Because of a problem seems to be caused by certain firewalls blocking access to the internet without notification, I suggest you skip doing the updates during the installation and update after the installation. To do that:
      • When you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately" (see attachment).
      • After the installation completes go into Spybot > Update to download updates.
        • Note: If you have a firewall the updates in Spybot 1.5 are done using SDUpdate.exe not SpybotSD.exe as in the past. Therefore SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet through your firewall.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-06-05 at 20:42.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I will do as you have suggested and follow the directions you have given me and completely uninstall version 1.4 prior to installing the newer version 1.5.

Thank You So Very Much! I'm glad that I hadn't done anything just yet and saw this reply first.
    Again, Thank You Very Very Much!

Hello Again,
    I went to the link to make sure that all the registry entries that Spybot S&D added during installation are removed (using the link you gave). Your instructions stated to download the file, double click on it and answer yes. However when I click on the link it takes me to a page with the following information:
    REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PepiMK Software\SpyBotSnD]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PepiMK Software\SpyBotSnD]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\SpybotSD.exe]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\SpyBotSnD]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "SpybotSD TeaTimer"=-

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.disabled]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbb]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbe]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbi]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sbs]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tnfo]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.uti]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.uts]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.DisabledFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBBFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBEFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBIFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.SBSFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.TInfoFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.UTIFile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SpybotSD.UTSFile]

There was nothing to download. Am I missing something

Thanks

I think what md spybot usa fan meant was so SAVE it directly to the desktop and execute it there.

Download it from your browser and double click it.

Hello,

You can also use the 'very small fix'. This is how to use it:
    On our website http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
    please right-click the 'very small fix'-link and choose 'Save as'.
    The small fix will be downloaded then. Now you can execute it with a double click on its symbol.
    If this does not work, you can right click the small fix download and choose 'Merge'.
    Now all entries that belong to Spybot - Search & Destroy will be deleted from the registry.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that I needed to right click and select to save as for the small fix. Now I understand.
    Thanks Again!