Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe???

Exclamation %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe???

hey! I have a problem with this entry I'm really not sure what it really is.

It is marked red int he start up list as follows

Key: HK_LM:RunOnce (Current system)

Value: Launcher

Command line: %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe

THE FOLLOWING HERE IS WHAT IS DISPLAYED BY SPYBOT S&D!

Current filename: %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe

Database status: Not required - virus, spyware, malware, or other resource hog.

Filename: launcher.exe

Description:
    spyware componet related to DownloadWare and found in program filesKFH

Source: Paul Collins Startup list

Current filenamer: %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe

Database status: typically not required

Filename: relaunch.exe

Description:
    Programs

Source: Paul Collins Startup list

So my question is this: What should i do? I'm not sure if this is something bad or not. Whats worse is i don't know what it does so I'm going to leave it exactly as i found it until someone helps me.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what this is for sure or tell me how to find out for sure! (I'm on vista if that helps)

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer my question!

Well to me it's not required .

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star....exe-2487.html

launcher.exe is an executable belonging to many applications including Webshots- a Windows desktop downloader, Uinterface Mouselaunch- a file and application initiator, and also a hardware interface for Samsung products. Note: launcher.exe is an advertising program by Intercort Systems. This process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author's servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups.
    Question is... are you experiencing any problems? Pop-ups? From your entry it looks like that this start-up task is to run only one time and disappears.

Do you have any Samsung related products on your computer? Anything on a "Webshots"?

Check your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window via Control Panel.

Edit: Just my opinion, but I don't find Collin's start-up list useful. It doesn't display adequate information to let the users know whether this is good or bad.
    Last edited by drragostea; 2008-06-12 at 04:44.

Question

No i don't have anything made by samsung related on my computer.
    Nothing labeled "Webshots" either, I've only had this computer for four months
    only two of which I've had Spybot S&D.

I've never had a virus warning from any of my other antivirus software before.(Which i have had on my computer since day one)

I tightened up my computer security settings as best i could on my own.
    I'm also not getting any pop-up advertisements on IE7 or firefox and my computer hasn't acted strange at all.

As far as i can tell it has always been there, I'm just wondering what exactly it is, why it's there, should i get rid of it, and if so how?

(This is the first time i have kicked spybot into advanced mode to look at my startup programs. I saw this listed in red which made me panic a bit as to what i should do.)

Talking

Since this entry has not caused any problems as far as I can tell, should I even bother/risk disabling it with spybot S&D? or just let it be?

The link i was sent tells me almost the exact same thing S&D said.

Sorry if the question is a silly one, I'm still far from being a computer wiz.

Anyway, Thanks for showing me another computer site i can get info from besides this one and castlecops!

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

avaldi:

Do you have PC Angel Recovery by SoftThinks installed on your system?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Question

No I don't, I do have "Spare backup" installed on it however if that helps at all.

avaldi: What have you attempted to do to resolve this prompt?

Have you Allowed it or Denied it?
    Have you checked "Remember this Decision"?

I've never had an allow or deny prompt of any kind having to do with this actually.

I never would have known it was even there if it weren't for me looking in S&D's advanced mode. I haven't noticed any strange effects and i don't even get spam emails or pop-up advertisements. As far as i know it's not really doing anything at all, I just happened to see it marked as red and was wondering what it is.

It hasn't caused any problems from what i can see, I just saw the description and was confused as to what i should do about it.
    Last edited by avaldi; 2008-06-13 at 12:20.

Have you done anything with the prompt yet? Obviously, could have left the computer on the whole time from your first post with the TeaTimer message still there or you have chosen an action.

Does the message still pop-up?

It looks to me that this "launcher.exe" runs only once during reboot and disappears. I'm not sure about the second entry because I've never had this problem.

Lightbulb

I don't remember getting any prompts for this program from spybot, spy sweeper, or Vista so i poked around a little bit inside spybot's advanced mode. I found no entries from teatimer regarding launcher or anything that i don't recognize.

Plus i use mcafee site advisor, then double check if any site is safe before i go to it by checking browser defender and looking it up. After watching my task manager for a bit i found no strange CPU spikes, and all my used up memory seems to be accounted for.

also in case there was some confusion about where i saw this, it wasn't after a sweep it was in S&D's tools-> system start up list.

looking inside spysweeper I was reminded that i had found and removed "iLookup" from my system but this doesn't show up as a threat, just an annoyance and it was successfully removed.

the fact that it's listed red is all that worries me but i'm starting to think it's nothing.