Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Distributed Testing, updated to 1.6 and leaving beta status

Hi! Started using this on my wifes' computer

(Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3 on a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ 966MHz 1.93GB RAM )

recently and I've noticed that only the "Non-Service" version (1.6.1.14) of it will work - when I try to use the other (1.6.0.0), it just gives me a message that it can't start the service.

Norton 360 is the A/V and firewall on that computer and its' wirelessly connected to my router, if that makes any difference.

Is this normal? Pete

If the service is already running and you hit the "Start Service" button you'll get the message "(Could not start service)", maybe there should be something like "Service already running" or something like that. Did you already try turning it off and on again?
    "The advantage of wisdom is that you can always act the fool. The opposite is quite tough."

K. Tucholsky

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

No, I didn't try turning it off and on again, but I can.

Actually, now that I did a C/A/D, I'm seeing that it is running (see screenshot), I'm just not seeing a SYSTRAY icon for it (which it may or may not have - is it supposed to?). I could have sworn one was there before.

Anyway, I guess I can close down the "Stand-Alone" one? I just like to see what's going on with it.

Is there any harm in leaving both of them running? Pete

I recall that the StandAlone was more like a model (doesn't do anything) of the real one.

It doesn't seem that way here - the "stand alone" shows you when it runs a test (I think - at least that's what it looks like it's doing), gives you all kinds of cheerful messages when it's happy and seems lonely when it doesn't have anything to do.

That's okay - I'm going to run both until someone tells me otherwise.

Thanks all. Pete

I should clarify. Running the standalone client is a model that'll show you what the real thing will look like. The Testing Console is the real stuff.

@Drragosta: maybe you should re-check your knowledge about the stand-alone client. (I've got like 60 pages of testing @this confirming it's working)
    It's an actual working component you know, it just does all the testing when you start the program, it isn't like the service (which starts-up@start-up )

@Anyone of the S&D team: does the client fail (often) when certain malware is able to recognize that's it's being spotted?
    In this example: Win32.TDSS.pe-Buster; It seems to be on A pc of some 'friends' & they regularly practice bad Internet usage..
    Strangely enough Internet was usable up-to some level until Avira's scanner removed some of the malware.. (now they don't have Internet access on that particular pc/computer.)
    Last edited by Rouke; 2009-04-07 at 05:38. Reason: adding A Q..

Yeah, good point . I didn't read enough books about it.

Enlighten me (the differences between the two)? : D
    Even though the Stand-alone client has "Non-Service Version" logo on the window title.

I don't know what - if anything - changed, but the "Beta testing service Console" is now working correctly on my wifes' computer.

Starts w/Windows, shows in SYSTRAY and accurately logs the tests as they happen without my having to open the stand-alone client to see that. Pete

There is a problem already showed up in http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=21513&page=5

In case the installer fails to add entry for SDisTestService to the registry for some reason, you can do it manually with the file attached!
    Last edited by tashi; 2009-12-17 at 03:19. Reason: Removed zip file, please don't attach zips without being requested, esp in first post. ;-)