Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Distributed Testing, updated to 1.6 and leaving beta status

Unhappy CPU Hog

No matter for the one an hour to run setting, my first experience with this tool is that it runs constantly, no mattter what setting is used. My CPU claims 47% usage for this program without let up. Stopping the service is the only way to stop it's activity. This is so different from expectations and no one else is complaining about this---I must be mucking something up.

My Rig is an HP portable, Core Duo 1.8 MGHz, 4 Mg Memory, 4 Mg Secondary Cache. This is the first program that makes my mouse jerk because it is so demanding. My operating system is Vista Ultimate 64 Bit which may be the problem. May I have some suggestions please. I like to help in the project, but I can't afford this situation.

Thank you.
    Thanks,

RsP

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

pelton:

Quote Originally Posted by rpelton View Post
    No matter for the one an hour to run setting, my first experience with this tool is that it runs constantly, no mattter what setting is used. My CPU claims 47% usage for this program without let up.
    Have you had success with other Spybot products with the exception of the "Distributed Testing" facility?

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    pelton:

Have you had success with other Spybot products with the exception of the "Distributed Testing" facility?
    Indeed I have! They are all top notch. I have past experience with seti. If I can get your program to work as well as seti, I won't be bothered and I can contribute greatly.

Thanks for asking.
    Thanks,

RsP

Default S&D won't run

HI, I just updted my Spybot and the updates ended up installing the 1.6.0.31 version of the software. I went thru installation fine. I did the Immunize fine. But, when I went to run Search and Destroy/check for Problems, it comes back with a error window saying "you need to install detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater". I hit the Update button, it searches, and says no new updates are available. So, I'm stuck in the loop of not being able to run Check for Problems. I'm not sure what 'Integrated Update' is compared to 'Manual Updater' and find no immediate info on that. I assume Integrated is the local button Update. I did reboot the pc, and still the same. So, Im stuck.
    Dan

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

wmbros (Dan):

The "Integrated Update" is the Update within Spybot.

A manual update updates just the detection rules. You can try that to see if it corrects your problem.

To do a manual update, download and execute the manual detection update file (spybotsd_includes.exe) from the following Web page:

The item is:
    • Detection updates© 2008-08-20 - product description
      md5: 4D7D12B7DC1233037DC54C7119C92DFD

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

The direct download link for the spybotsd_includes.exe file is:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I've got completely different Question, when will be:
    S&D, Regalyser, Filealyser, SDDT, Runalyser will be intgrated into one product? 2.0?

I'm especially looking forward to the time that SDDT & A new S&D will be integrated into 1 package

Another - basicly stupid - Question:
    If A 1 or 2 appears on the "my scans" pages what does that mean?
    That A F/p is found, or that the test actually found A malware key/program, on my pc? (I can't remember what the actual purpose of it is, since I actually read it but can't seem to remember
    Last edited by Rouke; 2008-10-11 at 00:04. Reason: forgot to add simple sub-title ;-p

Why shoul they be all in one package?
    98% of all users are not interested in RegAlyzer and FileAlyzer I guess

RunAlyzer will be part of 2.0, depending on this milestone.

The general 2.0 milestone can be found here. Most items on that list are currently hidden, but progressing fast, I do think that there will be something to see this year still

SDDT probably won't get integrated. Think about privacy. Regular users might not understand the full meaning of this feature, and would not understand what's transmitted there.

If you see results counts, yes, they are most likely F/Ps. That's mhy we have SDDT Sometimes possibly even intentional, when our detectives try to trigger some. If it would be a real infection and you've specified an emal address, you would receive an email
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

okidoki, that's cleared up then..

Another real off-topic question: why's it so that I can't use any forum codes in A normal manner? (IE 7, 8, & opera 9,52 & 9,6?) I'll remove this last part when gotten reply via email-address

Vbulletin isn't that user-friendly (to me it is, i've got loads of forum experiences & this one has been anoying me for quite some while..)

I have to make my own image tags (which isn't that difficult, using clickable-links is simpler tough & then post the image/smiley url inbetween)

everything is on except HTML, which is odd, since I would like to place An ocassional link (for informing purposes only)
    Last edited by Rouke; 2008-10-21 at 01:03.

All BBCode should be enabled, see this help. Links can be placed with the URL tag.

Take a look at your User CP (link at the left of the black bar at the top) and choose Edit Options, you can select between various editor modes there.

With Javascript enabled, even shortcuts are allowed, like Ctrl-I for Italic (don't know the ones for images and links I have to admit ).

HTML is disabled because HTML allows a bit much. Wouldn't want any embedded Flash exploits in forum posts, right?
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Default Looked@it..

No problems in my settings, maybe Vbulletin should adjust some issues (or opera)..
    Using Opera 9.6 at this moment.

p.s: you should get a load of extra storage for your pm's since you inbox/whole storage-capabilities for pm-storage is an issue
    That's why I suggested looking@my e-mail account that's registerd (and mailing me via that e-mail address)
    Last edited by Rouke; 2008-10-21 at 15:01.