Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really ANGRY with Spybot S&D

Angry Really ANGRY with Spybot S&D

Recently (for the past month+) I have noticed that my internet speed has came to practically a stand-still, now I know that (for once) it wasnt my ISP, so I did some investigating...

I found the problem with my slow speeds, SPYBOT S&D!!!!!!!!!
    I am using the latest version, and I have noticed that EVERY time the blasted program runs, it adds pointless crap to my hosts file( a huge long list of sites to block) and this adds up to 244KB!!!!

Now EVERYONE knows that having a hosts file of MORE than 175KB+ slows down your speed, as it has to load all that rubbish in there, so every time I delete ALL the spybot rubbish it puts there.

I was so annoyed and angered by this that I have completely un-installedf Spybot S&D and WILL NEVER touch it again.

What rights do YOU (the makers of Spybot S&D) have to MESS AROUND with MY system files on MY machine???

How would YOU like it if I added lots of crap to YOUR files and as a result of my actions, make your browsing & downloading come to a crawl????

I expect a FULL explanation, or if nobody here can give me that explanation, the either post here or send me a PM with an email address to complain to, as this is well OUT OF ORDER!!!

I have come here just for the reason to vent my anger & fustration against the "clever" and I DO use that term loosely person(s) that came up with this stupid idea????

I have been an ITC active technicial & system builder for the last 11 years now, and I will block what I want, NOT what some random company chooses to block.

I som sorry for this rant, but it has cost me a lot over the last few months in lost wages for having to take time off work for ISP engineers to visit and also, as it was NOT a problem with my ISP, I was charged EVER SINGLE time an engineer came out and found it was not their problem!

Thank you Spybot NOT!!!!

Hmm, it is kind of your fault, kind of not, but I can clearly see why you'd be angry, those guys that come over can cost quite a bit, especialy if your calling them over every week. You were the one pressing the *Immunize* button, but I guess spybot never told you exactly what that does.

Exclamation

First off Calm down! ranting won't get you anywhere.

Secondly my host file is 241kb and I have no major problems of note with Spybot and no noticable slowdown.

To get to bottom of this situation we need to know the following:

What version of Spybot: Search and Destroy are you running? (The latest version is 1.5.2.20 with the latest definitions dated 2008-06-11)

Which version of Windows are you running and is it fully updated?

Do you have a Firewall installed if so which is it? e.g. Zone Alarm, Comodo etc.

Do you have any other Anti-spyware software installed? if so what is it?

Do you have a virus Scanner installed, if so which is it? e.g. Norton, AVG etc.

Have you run a Spybot scann lately and did it find anything of note?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You ASKED Spybot to create a 250KB. By Immunizing your computer you're basically blocking websites using IE, FF and OPERAs built-in blocking feature as well as adding values to your hosts file. You can't accuse Spybot of shady tactics since you've basically acknowledged that you want a 250KB host file when you immunize.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoldierX View Post
    Hmm, it is kind of your fault, kind of not, but I can clearly see why you'd be angry, those guys that come over can cost quite a bit, especialy if your calling them over every week. You were the one pressing the *Immunize* button, but I guess spybot never told you exactly what that does.
    No, I think you are confused, I didnt click anything, just loaded up spybot S&D, even when disconnected from the internet, as soon as the program window shows up, bam! extra entries in the hosts file, without doing a thing, this is why I removed every last bit of it from ALL 25 of my networked machines, this is just not on at all, I wouldnt even dream of messging around with any other person's system, yet alone modifying system files that should not be touched.

Even if the hosts file is write-protected, it STILL added entries to it!

Quote Originally Posted by ::Quick:: View Post
    You ASKED Spybot to create a 250KB. By Immunizing your computer you're basically blocking websites using IE, FF and OPERAs built-in blocking feature as well as adding values to your hosts file. You can't accuse Spybot of shady tactics since you've basically acknowledged that you want a 250KB host file when you immunize.
    NO, I DID NOT ask spybot to modify my hosts file & add junk to it at all!!!
    I never once said to it" i want you to make my browsing slow by making a near 250KB hosts file at all!!!!

To get to bottom of this situation we need to know the following:

What version of Spybot: Search and Destroy are you running? (The latest version is 1.5.2.20 with the latest definitions dated 2008-06-11)

Which version of Windows are you running and is it fully updated?

Do you have a Firewall installed if so which is it? e.g. Zone Alarm, Comodo etc.

Do you have any other Anti-spyware software installed? if so what is it?

Do you have a virus Scanner installed, if so which is it? e.g. Norton, AVG etc.

Have you run a Spybot scann lately and did it find anything of note?
    I HAD (had, because as I said, I removed EVERY trace of it from my systems, but it WAS version 1.5.2.20, Windows XP PRO and yes, all the latest updates.
    Norton Internet Security (and before you say it, the problem has NOTHING to do with Norton what so ever)

No other anti-spyware as S&D used to be the bee's knees and I felt I never needed any other spyware protection other than that.

Virus scanner (see above)

No I uninstalled spybot S&D a few days ago after I found out what it was doing and will NEVER touch it ever again!
    Last edited by TehTech; 2008-06-13 at 18:49.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TehTech View Post
    No, I think you are confused, I didnt click anything, just loaded up spybot S&D, even when disconnected from the internet, as soon as the program window shows up, bam! extra entries in the hosts file, without doing a thing, this is why I removed every last bit of it from ALL 25 of my networked machines, this is just not on at all, I wouldnt even dream of messging around with any other person's system, yet alone modifying system files that should not be touched.

Even if the hosts file is write-protected, it STILL added entries to it!

@TehTech

The problems your describing sound to me like you've inadvertanly downloaded a FAKE copy of Spybot!

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    @TehTech

The problems your describing sound to me like you've inadvertanly downloaded a FAKE copy of Spybot!
    FAKE??? from the Safer Networking website?? UNLESS there is a parody of that site and redirects to this "fake" site, no!

I always download my software from the original, legit websites, I always have done

Also, in reply to ::Quick::

Even IF i knew it did that (which I didnt) then why didi it modify the file every single time it starts??

I never had any problems at all with the older version (Spybot S&D 1.4) so WHY this version?
    Last edited by TehTech; 2008-06-13 at 18:53.

Lightbulb

FAKE??? from the Safer Networking website?? UNLESS there is a parody of that site and redirects to this "fake" site, no!

I always download my software from the original, legit websites, I always have done
    My mistake
    Last edited by Terminator; 2008-06-13 at 18:53. Reason: Minor mistake

Unhappy

NO, I DID NOT ask spybot to modify my hosts file & add junk to it at all!!!
    I never once said to it" i want you to make my browsing slow by making a near 250KB hosts file at all!!!!

I HAD (had, because as I said, I removed EVERY trace of it from my systems, but it WAS version 1.5.2.20, Windows XP PRO and yes, all the latest updates.
    Norton Internet Security (and before you say it, the problem has NOTHING to do with Norton what so ever)

No other anti-spyware as S&D used to be the bee's knees and I felt I never needed any other spyware protection other than that.

Virus scanner (see above)

No I uninstalled spybot S&D a few days ago after I found out what it was doing and will NEVER touch it ever again!
    In that case I'm out of ideas and Cannot help you.

You'll have to wait for one of Spybot Team/Administrators to help you.

Sorry.