Thread: Spybot S&d Problems!!

Angry Spybot S&d Problems!!

Hi! I've been having a real pain with my spybot as of late. I recently have tried to scan my computer, but about a quarter of the way into the scan, the computer shuts down completely. I've read about over-heating and dust, but neither of those are the culprit in this case. I've also heard about using safe mode while scanning, but my computer won't let me use safe mode. I'm in a tight spot here, so if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it. THANKS!

Question

What are the details of your computer (CPU type, speed, memory size)?
    What Operating system are you using (98, P8SE, XP , Vista), and what Service packs do you have installed?
    What browser are you using (IE 6, IE 7, Firefox )?

What version of Spybot are you using, and what date are the update files?
    This information is in the Info and Licence page in Spybot - you have to put it into Advanced mode for this page to be visable.

What exactly do you mean when you say your computer won't let you use safe mode?

In addition to providing the above information so you have a chance of obtaining a meaningful answer, can you please also clean out your browser caches, run windows disk cleanup, and if possible run a defrag on your hard drive and see if that changes the situation.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

ForteCrossBuster:

Other suggestions:
    1. Some systems have a BIOS System Event Log that may help determine the cause of the problem. For example: On my Dell to view the System Event Log you have to re-boot, press F2 to get into the BIOS screen and then select System Event Log.

2. Check the System events in the Event Viewer and see if there are any events logged that may lead to a cause for the problem.

3. Also consider running CHKDSK on your drives to make sure there are no file system errors that may be causing the problem.
      1. Open a command prompt.
        1. Click Start then select Run…
        2. Type "command" or "cmd" (no quotes).
        3. Click "OK"
      2. Type "chkdsk x: /r" (type the command with no quotes and substituting the drive letter of the external for the "x:"). Note: Option /f : Fixes errors on the disk. Option /r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
      3. The following may not apply since you are not scanning your primary drive. However, if the following appears:
        • Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
          • Type "Y" (no quotes).
          • Type "EXIT" (no quotes).
          • Reboot your system.
      4. If you did not get the message indicating that a reboot was required (3. above), type "EXIT" (no quotes) when Chkdsk completes.
      5. Note: CHKDSK may run for quite a while so just be patient.

For more information on CHKDSK see:
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2008-06-16 at 15:30.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.