Thread: blank screen

Default blank screen

hi all, i just used spybot to remove spyware and it left my background white, does anyone know how to fix this? i want my desktop picture back

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

auraa:

If you provide some more information, perhaps someone can help identify the problem.

What Windows OS are you running? What was the picture, was it a standard wallpaper option or something special? If it was something special, what format was it (.bmp, .jpg, etc.).

By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log files produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

Please post the Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file from when the problem occurred.

There are two methods to copy and post the information from previous scans:
    • Method 1:
      • Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that contains the detections that you like help with. Open it. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
    • Method 2
      • The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
        • Windows 95 or 98:
          C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows ME:
          C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
        • Windows Vista:
          C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
      • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

I recall there was a trojan... SmitFraud maybe or Zlob that changed the background to "WARNING! SPYWARE INFECTION etc.".

In addition to md's post, have you attempted to RIGHT-CLICK ON YOUR DESKTOP and click on PROPERTIES. There you will be able to change your desktop background.

i have windows xp, i have tried to change background, yes that red spyware warning was the one i had. i am not that good with computers can you give me a less complicatd answer? i don't understand all that.

also when i first log into my account, the picture show up for a second, then the screen goes white, it is just the background that comes with window, nothing special.

Hm. Do you have any pictures on your computer? A image perhaps? Anything will do.

Right-click on the image and then click SET AS DESKTOP BACKGROUND.