Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It is settled SBv1.5 does not work for me!

Question HIDDEN "BACKUP" FILES and UPGRADING VERSIONS?

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    In MY opinion you should delete the hidden files and folders as I've had problems with hidden files in the past with other programs and only AFTER removing them did I solve my problems.
    I would TOTALLY agree with all who think it is best to "clean" the system as much as possible in regards to uninstalling older versions in order to install a newer version especially if this is what is recommended by the application designers but...

I still think that SB support should make it clear whether the hidden files should be left alone or deleted when upgrading versions as I posted:
    In any case SB really needs to clarify whether these "hidden" backup files for older versions are compatible and/or used by upgraded versions. ---- By deleting the "hidden" backup files the user looses all history of changes made by SB.
    It is clear that the application and any links to the application specifically that is being "upgraded" should be removed. But it is not so clear about the "hidden" backup files as to what should be done.

Clearly by deleting these "hidden" files the user cannot then "undo" or "repair" changes made by the previous version with the upgraded version. However as far as that is concerned we really don't know whether upgraded versions access the same files that the older version used to do this anyway. I am unable to find any reference to these "hidden" backup files as far as whether it is recommended to delete or leave "available" for the new version for the purpose to "recover" from changes previously made.

And then as I suggested we have no idea whether SB support would conclude that leaving these "hidden" files would create problems for the upgraded version. If this were the case then this should be made clear by SB support and not just address the removal of the older SB application only via the "add/remove" windows application.

Default Hi Win98SE Lovers :-)

To get Spybot 1.5 up and running on win98SE.
    Start DrWatson : Press start/run/Drwatson.
    Update by rightclicking in teatimer.
    Then run spybot as always. Don't ask me why. But it works :-) Best regards

Question

Quote Originally Posted by wyrmrider View Post
    Dear Cat
    Typing this on a windows 98se machine with 1mb via cacheman optimizations
    running latest spybot- no problems
    I have several machines with 24 (old laptop) to 256 mb of ram with 98SE
    some machines just do not run well with Windows 2000 which I have a site license for
    so all you guys that want us to install vista 64 or something on these still useful machine lighten up
    they work fine as long as you run the software they were designed for or similar.
    Yes but do you run Teatimer with you 98SE?

Bottom line: after working with SB1.5.2 for awhile I can finally inexplicably (I don't know what it is that solves the "unresponsive Script errors in FF2 finally) get everything to work reasonably well with SB1.5.2 (except shutting down with Teatimer running).

My ONLY problem is if I am RUNNING TEATIMER and I SHUTDOWN which causes a Fatal (blue screen) error (as described throughout this thread).

If I DO NOT RUN TEATIMER (w/ 98SE) then this DOES NOT HAPPEN (no problems shutting down and of course I can "exit" teatimer within SB1.5.2 w/ no problem).

So it would clearly show that it is a problem with SB1.5.2 in relation to a COMBINATION OF WIN98SE+TEATIMER RUNNING+ 98SE SHUTDOWN... and...

...as I've posted since it is clearly an issue of some kind involving the OS SHUTTING DOWN a RUNNING TEATIMER using the WIN98SE OS this tells me that it is likely an instruction code issue with Teatimer in relation to 98SE as far as closing the program. Again keep in mind that SB1.5.2 HAS NO PROBLEMS "EXITING" (closing down) TEATIMER since it works fine within the SB1.5.2 program itself... it has to be a communication problem (instruction code) involving SB1.5.2 and the OS since it is the 98SE OS that is closing down Teatimer (at shutdown) which is causing the Fatal Error problem.

Two questions:

1. Are you or ANYONE in this forum using WIN98SE+TEATIMER RUNNING on SB1.5.2 and if so do you have any problem SHUTTING DOWN?

2. Was SB1.5.2 bench tested using WIN98SE+TEATIMER RUNNING+SHUTDOWN? (this question would be for anyone with extensive knowledge of SB1.5.2)

In the mean time (when I get the time) I think (kind of wonder if it's worth it) I'll try Bag Man's suggestion (won't be for awhile when I have the time).

Oh if Bag Man is "listening"... did you have a similar problem as I do with Teatimer running and shutting down WIN98SE?

Thanks everyone for all of the great help... SB1.5.2 may have issues but I would say this is clearly not the case with this forum... really a load of helpful people giving their time to help out, it is very much appreciated. (the search functions sure could us some improvement on this board however )
    Last edited by caterwaul; 2008-07-03 at 18:40.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

caterwaul:

Quote Originally Posted by caterwaul View Post
    1. Are you or ANYONE in this forum using WIN98SE+TEATIMER RUNNING on SB1.5.2 and if so do you have any problem SHUTTING DOWN? ...
    You could check with GreenEyedLady.

From her post (post #9) in the following thread it is clear she is using Spybot 1.5.2 but not really clear if she is/isn't using TeaTimer:

Quote Originally Posted by GreenEyedLady View Post
    … SeaMonkey (more important for me as I never use IE). …

… Moreso if you browse with IE, then it is even more important to use the latest TeaTimer and SDHelper. …

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hi caterwaul
    Yes I have had trouble shutting down lately, but mostly related to an illegal act in flash 9.0. Same act creates lots of blue and black screens resulting in freezeing, coldstart and scandisc. Seems to me that thetimer is running smoothly and not causing any trouble.

Sorry, forgot! I'm using WIN98SE, 500mhz AMD 3D now 448 Mb ram. Protected by spywareblaster, spybot/teatimer, SuperAntiSpyware, Spyware Guard, Win Patrol, Avast antivirus and an Outpost firewall.

Hi
    I'm looking at your other thread but is not the issue non removal of 1.3 due to t-timer issues ?

anyway 1.6 works for me on my W98 SE machine

let's keep the discussion on your upgrade issue in the other thread
    The issue is not the "non removal of 1.3" it is only that 1.5.2 crashes my computer on shutdown with teatimer running.

Cat
    I have run 1.5 and all previous versions w/ W98
    however I have a lot more memory than you do
    Running Zone Alarm and Avast

A-trick here
    do a CTL ALT DEL
    and shut down manually a couple of applications
    AV and Firewall
    then shutdown
    still get a blue screen?
    You can isolate where the conflict is
    changing the load order may fix

cheers

after these blue screen crashes do you have something like Norton Disk Doctor or do you run scandisk?

Quote Originally Posted by Bag Man View Post
    Sorry, forgot! I'm using WIN98SE, 500mhz AMD 3D now 448 Mb ram. Protected by spywareblaster, spybot/teatimer, SuperAntiSpyware, Spyware Guard, Win Patrol, Avast antivirus and an Outpost firewall.
    Thanks for supplying this....

In my case WIN98SE, 400mhz, PentiumII would appear to be no problem based on what you have posted with one exception.... my 96 RAM which is a far cry from your 448 RAM.

Possibly on shutdown SB is needing to swap out for code to close teatimer and because of the low RAM and the fact that the OS is shutting down this causes the crash due to the failure to close teatimer properly. Just guessing with my limited knowledge.

Btw, I've got similar protection as well:
    Protected by spywareblaster, spybot/teatimer, Spyware Guard, Avast antivirus and Tiny firewall.

I would use Outpost if I had more RAM.

Btw, The Outpost firewall does not support WIN98SE (unless you are using v1.x of course). I am using Tiny because it uses the least RAM of any (it is the same ICSA technology that WinRoute uses and is basically the same as Kerio 2.5.x firewall except with less RAM usage).

Cat
    I have run 1.5 and all previous versions w/ W98
    however I have a lot more memory than you do
    Running Zone Alarm and Avast

A-trick here
    do a CTL ALT DEL
    and shut down manually a couple of applications
    AV and Firewall
    then shutdown
    still get a blue screen?
    You can isolate where the conflict is
    changing the load order may fix

cheers

after these blue screen crashes do you have something like Norton Disk Doctor or do you run scandisk?
    No I really don't need to shutdown any applications at all.... as long as teatimer isn't running I have no problem (as posted).

The fact as (as I've posted) I have no problem if I just "Exit" teatimer prior to shutting down (that is all I need to do).... it then shuts down without any problem.

I know I can do this (exit teatimer) but I also know I'll forget and also anyone else that might use my computer wouldn't know to do this.

As I've posted it would appear that there is ONLY an issue with teatimer running and how the code in SB1.5.2 handles the closing of teatimer when the 98SE OS system closes SB1.5.2.