Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Xp Sp3?

i forgot to say that this that the site says is false:

Disable Certain Services

Myth - "Disabling these Services improves performance."

Reality - "Disabling these Services actually reduces performance

this is false, my computer uses much less memory and is faster after disabling some services.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    i also use registry cleaners sometimes
    Well, doesn't that sound ironic.
    -
    Disabling services on your machine is not of my concern. Thing/question is, have you actually used a "benchmark" or accurately measured the statistics?

Cookies are nothing to me, since it is cleared every 2-3 days or so.

I feel NoScript is too much for me to handle. Too much prompts.

HostsMan and all those HOSTS protection are a joke. Might as well cause problems for some computers. Think it was the DNS cache?

Disabling services on your machine is not of my concern. Thing/question is, have you actually used a "benchmark" or accurately measured the statistics?
    i am seeing my computer is faster myself, so that is enough. there is no harm disabling some of them. i would never listen to such experts that claims that it can not be proven with benchmarks that the computers is faster after disabling some services. should we listen to experts or other such people all the time? no.

HostsMan and all those HOSTS protection are a joke. Might as well cause problems for some computers. Think it was the DNS cache?
    i get tired in the eyes because of all this ads and that is reason enough to block them. hostsman and the hostsfiles are a joke just because you say that they are? then you say that the spybot hostsfile is a joke too. i just disable the dns client to avoid slowdown when using the hostsfiles. however it wasnt so very much slowdown when i used only the spybot hostsfile.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    should we listen to experts or other such people all the time? no.

hostsman and the hostsfiles are a joke just because you say that they are?
    I never mentioned that you had to listen to experts.

Just my opinion.

Thumbs up

Hey hey, chill people

I personally believe that host files did help in the past but in todays internet with malicous sites popping up out of nowhere all the time - It would be imposible to block them all quickly and effectively. Although I do still support host files, I believe they are quickly becoming obsolete. As they get bigger and bigger, it creates more problems for people's computers.

No Script is a more active approach - It assumes every site is bad which great. For any site that does need extra privleges, you can add it to a whitelist - People are however, put off by numerous prompts popping up

To be quite honest, my best advice is to use your common sense!
    - Don't do anything you know you shouldn't
    - Ask about links in emails (try to avoid tinyurls)
    - Think!
    ect.

Yep. Chill.

I'll stick with my own opinion. I could care less about other HOSTS program (Spybot's Immunize is an exception, because I just need one).

Hello,

Patience is wearing thin with the constant bickering and jabs between certain parties.

Please let it rest, Tavern or not.

Thank you.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Cool Hi all...

Have you heard about the new windows live messenger beta? What you think about it?

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-...CmoreStories.0

I personally believe that host files did help in the past but in todays internet with malicous sites popping up out of nowhere all the time - It would be imposible to block them all quickly and effectively. Although I do still support host files, I believe they are quickly becoming obsolete. As they get bigger and bigger, it creates more problems for people's computers.
    it is just this ads that is a pain, the hostsfiles i use has blocked almost every adserver known to man. some malicious sites has also been out there for ages and are still doing their bad stuff. what should we use to block ads when not using firefox and the adblock+ or what it is called? i use internet explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Yep. Chill.

I'll stick with my own opinion. I could care less about other HOSTS program (Spybot's Immunize is an exception, because I just need one).
    i will accept your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello,

Patience is wearing thin with the constant bickering and jabs between certain parties.

Please let it rest, Tavern or not.

Thank you.
    we are not enemies me and drragostea, but i understand what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by 129260 View Post
    Have you heard about the new windows live messenger beta? What you think about it?

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-...CmoreStories.0
    it would have been fun to try a messenger program, i have never tried them before.

do anyone here use defence+ in comodo firewall? it was easy to use for some days until i installed shockwave from the adobe site, then i got a message from defence+ about possible malware activity detected. and afterwards i went to play a game on one site and then defence+ went crazy and asked about new directories and files that was made on the computer. i allowed them all because i am sure it was just parts of the shockwave game that was being downloaded to the computer. was it stupid to allow it? i am sure there was 50 questions from defence+

i also tried comodo internet security, but i dont know if their antivirus is any good.

Personally, i feel that then new messenger will cause some unpopularity among many MSN users like me. Being used to the display picture on the right, the change now would be very weird to many users. Of course, I have not tested it and would rather wait until the actual version comes out. If the new version does not suits me, I would stick to the current version (which is 8.5). However, the background looks very attractive to me though.