Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Xp Sp3?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by chewdz View Post
    Had SP3 installed on Automatic Updates. All I can say is.... great, although the computer slowed down for a few days. Everything is back to normal now. Thanks to drragostea and 129260 for clearing my doubts.

no problem Glad to help!

Had this message when i started up the computer.
    http://cid-3852a4a1c71c485b.skydrive...c/untitled.bmp
    What has happened? I remembered installing CCleaner and cleared some files in the computer. Did the program deleted something important from the "WINDOWS" folder?

Lightbulb no...

I'm not sure what happened...but def. did not delete something important in windows...

but you can read about DEP here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention

Oh i see... But is CCleaner a good application to clean up the junks in my computer? Is there such a thing called RAM optimization software?

ccleaner is good enough to me. i tried the ram optimizer freeramxp but it slowed down my computer so it was useless.
    Last edited by blues; 2008-09-15 at 15:12.

Here's my two cents. Never ever "defragment" your RAM using tools that claim to make your computer faster. You should just stick with upgrading the RAM.

Defragmenting your RAM will be more like running a registry cleaner.

Instead of doing good, it can harm.

End.

freeramxp is popular on www.download. com for some reason, so i guess it works good for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Never ever "defragment" your RAM using tools that claim to make your computer faster....Defragmenting your RAM will be more like running a registry cleaner....
    End.
    Defragmenting RAM? Never heard about defragmenting RAM.
    Isn't maybe optimizing RAM?
    This link contains some myths about preformance issues and other issues: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html (From Thread XP And myths (By Danny)

Yes, Tom. You can consider RAM "optimizers" and defragmenters the same gunk.

After reading the first link, I might actually agree to what bitman said about entries in the HOSTS file being a "ancient" way to prevent Spyware...

After reading the first link, I might actually agree to what bitman said about entries in the HOSTS file being a "ancient" way to prevent Spyware...
    you can say what you want but others may have another opinion than you. i dont listen to such sites like that one in the link and i dont agree with bitman. i use hostsfiles because i hate ads and also for other reasons. i also like the hostsfiles because we can submit malicious sites and ad/tracking servers to some of them and help protect other people and not only ourself. but i will avoid hostsfiles that is rarely updated. i have not seen so many ads the last three years because i have been using this hostsfiles. some people also get seizures when seeing some flashing ads, belive it or not.

but what is better than using hostsfiles if you want protection from malware is to turn off javascript, activex and java or maybe use noscript in firefox and set the "internet explorer" internet security zone to high. then you can forget about using spywareblaster when activex is turned off because then you dont need spywareblaster anymore. and if someone is sick of tracking cookies then they can also turn off cookies. some sites may not work anymore when doing all this but you can just place sites you trust in the trusted zone in "internet explorer" i dont know about all the ways noscript works but i now it gives good protection against exploits and malware. spywareblaster is just as ancient as hostsfiles when it comes to the "restricted sites" protection. the activex protection in spywareblaster blocks malicious activex controls even on unknown sites so that is usefull.

i also use registry cleaners sometimes