Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Xp Sp3?

I do not see how something wrong should go on, it will be unlikely but not impossible.

bitman's meticulous and well-thought explanation is saying that most Service Packs are nothing more than a bunch of improvements and fixes bundled into one. It does not take care of security issues because individual hotfixes (in other words, security patches released every month) have taken care of that role already.

Also, it would be best [and less risky] to install it automatically (ASAP), so your PC will be less susceptible to vulnerabilities.

Also timing is important because you do not want to do something wrong in a "critical" (important...very) situation. In some cases it might be an important document or project. If something goes wrong in that "critical" situation, then it's over.
    --

If you are unsatisfied with SP3, then feel free to uninstall it via ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window. You'll be reverted back to Windows XP SP2.

Esteemed Member

Quote Originally Posted by chewdz View Post
    bitman: your explanation is quite complcated but at least for me it is understandable :D So let me get it right. U mean that SP3 is just combining all the previous updates and hotfixes installed onto the computer as one update(SP3)?

so u all recommend me to install directly from the Windows Update website?
    any ways to uninstall it if something goes wrong? (I do not have any external HDDs or DVD ROMs to backup my computer) E.g. from safe mode.
    Yes, though as already mentioned there are a few additional items included in XP SP2 that weren't included in earlier individual updates, but they aren't intended for security either.

And yes, I'd suggest that you decide when you prefer to have the update occur. You should find a way to make backups of important data files and preferably have your original installation disks available for a reinstall of Windows in the worst case scenario. This is why you want to control when the update happens, so you can try to uninstall SP3 first, but have time to reinstall or take the PC to someone who can help if something really goes wrong.

I'm not saying you'll actually have any problems, but if you assume that you might, you'll always be ready if you do. As a network administrator I always assumed something might fail, so I was always happily surprised when everything went well, but was also ready if it didn't.

Bitman

Chewdz, Before you actually download the SP3 it would do you a world of good to go to HP Forum and scroll through the many, many entries relating to your question. You will be very pleased that you did.

I have an HP 1637 with XP Media Center and when I (like many others) took that update, I lost sound, graphics (several drivers), it turned into a nightmare. If you really want to do this they have step by step procedures you can follow at the forum. Better yet just post your same question there and let one of them walk you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenpitcher4 View Post
    Chewdz, Before you actually download the SP3 it would do you a world of good to go to HP Forum and scroll through the many, many entries relating to your question. You will be very pleased that you did.
    Mind if you give my the link of the forum? If not i will have to search for it for a long time. Thx in advance!

Go to http://forums11.itrc.hp.com

Or go to www.hp.com and follow forum links

Or Google hp forums and click on IT Resource Center Forums

First one goes right in

I got something similar *scratches head.
    --
    http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/help/forums.do
    --

Hmmm.... From the HP Forum website, i found this thread.

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/...readId=1242913

One of the post indicated that SP3 have problems with Norton Internet Security(NIS).
    A quote of the post:

"Just today, I've heard of SP3 issues with Norton Internet Security. This was on a Help Desk podcast. These technicians manage Miami university (of Ohio) help desk. They suggested holding off on the download.

You can always trust Cheryl's suggestions."

So I think I should hold back the installing of SP3 since I have NIS 2008 installed on my computer. Any suggestions?

By the way, I would like to ask another question. Can I have a reinstall of my current version of Windows XP if anything happened to my computer(viruses, major crashes and so on) many times? I'm afraid that the genuine CD could not be used as I heard that Microsoft have put in a technology that would eventually disable the disc from installing when I install the OS too many times. That would not be a good news for me.

So I think I should hold back the installing of SP3 since I have NIS 2008 installed on my computer. Any suggestions?
    I think you are becoming paranoid. You will not be able to hold back forever, because NIS 2008 will always be out there. There were just some false positives detected by Norton AV when Windows XP SP3 is installed.

If you want to hold back, I can't force to download it. What I can suggest is that you momentarily disable your NIS until the installation is complete. Then you can turn it back on.
    --
    By the way, I would like to ask another question. Can I have a reinstall of my current version of Windows XP if anything happened to my computer(viruses, major crashes and so on) many times? I'm afraid that the genuine CD could not be used as I heard that Microsoft have put in a technology that would eventually disable the disc from installing when I install the OS too many times. That would not be a good news for me.
    If you had a serious trojan with a keylogger and backdoor on a heavily infected computer, then it would be best to reformat to remove it's existence from your computer.

Reformatting/reinstalling would be your decision. However, reinstalling multiple times in a short period (say months) can really strain your hard drive and the OS itself.

Don't be afraid to use the Recovery Discs. That is why it is there for you. Psh. Technologies these days will disable you from recovery? That is just a bunch of... !!!.

If you don't want conflicts... disable NAV and install SP3. Disable TeaTimer if you have it too because I'm sure you don't want to be bombard with prompts. Mistakenly if you clicked denied on a change when install SP3, it may mean bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    [FONT="Tahoma"]
    Don't be afraid to use the Recovery Discs. That is why it is there for you. Psh. Technologies these days will disable you from recovery? That is just a bunch of... !!!.
    I mean the Windows XP OEM disc. Is that considered as a recovery disc?

I have found a FAQ by Symantec regarding the problems after the installation of the SP3

http://solutions.symantec.com/sdccom...080530144453EN

If the problems really appear, should I use the tool that Symantec provided for us to remove the registry entries that were created when installing SP3? I'm afraid that the tool might mess up the current settings and screw my computer up.