Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spybot-S&D 1.6, beta 2

Scan time has largely increased in this beta 2.
    With 1.6 beta 1: 2:50-3:20
    With 1.6 beta 2: 4:30-6:00

Using windows xp with sp3.I tested with almost same number of temporary files and browser cache files deleted and the same number of cookies.

Scans are slower, but it is still faster then 1.5.2(from 9:00 - 11:00)
    Last edited by Ivan1981; 2008-06-23 at 20:59.

So far, it seems whether beta 2 is faster or slower than beta 1 depends on hosts file immunization applied or not, the cases where beta 2 is faster so far where those with a large hosts file.

Got the requested context menu triggered separate scan window now, tweaked the file scanner a bit to be faster on load with just minor slowdown on scan (it's usually for a handful of files only anyway). Need to get some inhouse feedback first though (and add one or two silly features like drag'n'drop on the open window)

@Zenobia: thanks, and I fixed the link
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

You're welcome.

i notice increasing in scan time with this new beta 2. it used to take less than 4 minutes in vista x64 sp1, now it takes around 7 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    So far, it seems whether beta 2 is faster or slower than beta 1 depends on hosts file immunization applied or not, the cases where beta 2 is faster so far where those with a large hosts file.
    My hosts file is the same(around 250KB) and beta 2 scanning is slower by almost 2 times than beta 1.
    As I remeber also 1.5.2 version was slower than two betas before, and I'm hoping that in the final version scanning time will not increase further.
    Last edited by Ivan1981; 2008-06-24 at 12:44.

test again on xp home edition sp3, the scan time took around 8 minutes. i don't know the previous scan time in beta 1. it's still faster than 1.5.x version though.

There is most certainly a slow-down in beta 2.

On my XP SP2 test system, scan results were:

v1.5.2.20 = 20 minutes 17 seconds

v1.6.0.25 = 4 minutes 2 seconds

v1.6.0.26 = 7 minutes 17 seconds

That means beta 2 is only 2.8 times faster than v1.5 (as opposed to 5.0 times faster like beta 1 was) and it is 1.8 times slower than beta 1.

That's a surprisingly significant increase across only one beta build, though it's still much faster than v1.5.

FWIW, I'm not using a HOSTS file.

Question updates

Some time ago, when the servers are disabled, we obtain a message that says "Updates will be back in less than an hour" (or the equivalent in Spanish)
    Now the message that I obtain is "No hay ninguna actualización disponible". In English is "There are no newer updates" or somthing like this.

Sorry for my English

Smile

More Suggestions:

Can you add an option in context menu and settings tab to hide the 'hint of the day'

At the moment, because Spybot treats it as a result, you can 'clear' it away (but this is only a temporary solution )

Also, if you plan to add more 'hints of the day', that would mean there would be no need for the 'hint' part in the header of the scanning tab:

@honda12: There's a tweak to hide it, see the tweaks page
    (yes, I admit I copied that information over just now )

We want to point users again and again and again at the information, since it might answer them a lot of questions immediately that they would be otherwise seeking by email or forum and would have to wait.

@atchiss: the old thing was a quick'n'dirty trick: we just named one update mirror that way Will think about how we could do this in 1.6.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)