Thread: USB Portable App

Default USB Portable App

A USB Portable Application web site see ( http://www.app-stick.com/proddetail.php?prod=Spybot ) shows Safer Networking having a USB Stick Portable Application,.
    No information was given on how to make it a Portable Application. I checked on Safer Networking web site and this forum and found no reference to it either.
    I am hoping some one has this information as I am a big fan of search and destroy.
    Thanks Bob

Smile

Bob,

I make a substantial amount of use of PortableApps software, however I am not aware of a PortableApps SpybotSD.

As far as I am aware, most if not all PortableApps software is Open Source, and Spybot is not Open Source. That aside, Spybot depends on writing to the Registry for a significant amount of its residual protection (immunisation)and one of the good things about PortableApps is that they don't make any alterations to the host machine's Registry. (OK, this doesn't always happen 100%, but the concept is important.)

If you were to run a portable Spybot from a USB Flash drive on a particular PC, then when it was removed, it would have to remove it's immunisations and any protection before the USB flash drive was removed, perhaps never to be used in that PC again, and that doesn't seem practical.

What I do is keep an install copy of the latest SpybotSD on a USB flash drive, along with a downloaded update file which I keep relatively current. This can be quickly installed on any PC that I need to scan, without putting it on line, and left there set up for the owners ongoing protection.

I don't know if that helps you or not.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-08-15 at 03:56.

Default USB Portable App

First Off, thank you for your prompt reply. I have used SpyBotSD for many years and trust it. I also use other Malware and Virus programs to be sure my PC does not get infected.
    The main reason for using a USB drive with PortableApps on it is for personal efficiency. I want to test the PC I plug my drive into to make sure it has no problems and before I remove my personal USB drive, test it to make sure it is still clean.
    Most company and institutional PC’s are controlled by stupid IT people who want to control the world and lock the machine down so you cannot install any software on it. Even if you were able too, when you came back to use the program it would be all screwed up by users overwriting the initial profile.
    A good PortableApp does not leave any trace that it has been installed on the machine by not writing to the registry, changing any cookies, leaving any log or temp files. When this is done, I am not leaving my self open for any legal problems that may occur. And I am “Good to go”.
    I have tried the Open Sourceforge.net where all the software is open source See: ( http://portableapps.com/ ) and it gave me problems and is a pain to use in that it tries to install the main programs on your “C Drive”, which I did not like having gone. Try updating a PortApp from then and see how much problems you have. Another reason I did not like it was because of the menu you cannot organize it into different categories.
    Another system is the “U3 Flash Drive” it is a proprietary drive and cost a lot more than regular USB drives which sometimes are a lot faster than the U3 drives. I have never tried the U3 Flash Drive because of the cost and speed issue.
    Both USB drive allow you too put freeware software on them which are not open source. Check out ( http://www.app-stick.com/ ) and see a lot of freeware software that does not leave a trace when removed. It’s about time SpyBotSD go going with the PortApp program.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BobBldr7281 View Post
    ....it tries to install the main programs on your “C Drive”, which I did not like having gone.
    Bob,
    It's simply a matter of dropping the PortableApps.com platform (or the suite, whichever you prefer) .exe install file on the USB Flashdrive and double clicking on it. It asks what drive you want it on, you select the Flash drive and it installs it, simple as that. The PortableApps menu has its own install function to add new and to update existing genuine PortableApps applications. No problems at all.

It’s about time SpyBotSD go going with the PortApp program.
    The thing that makes SpybotSD great is it's concept of protecting against infection (immunisation and realtime blockers) as opposed to simply scanning to find out what has bitten you after the event and this, as I pointed out in my earlier post does not fit with the concept of PortableApps.

Your requirement is simply for an on demand scanner and there are a number of those available already.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-08-16 at 00:43.