Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does Spybot View my screen

Question Why does Spybot View my screen

I am running SnoopFree and when I start Spybot it advises that it is trying to view my screen. Can anyone please tell me why Spybot is viewing my screen or explain why I am getting this warning

It looks to me that you are running the anti-keylogger program SnoopFree.

I haven't tested the program yet, but I'll give it a run in the next half-an-hour. I'll tell you the results.

By the way, what version of Spybot-SD (HELP>ABOUT) are you running? I'm assuming you are running Windows XP OS.

Tested.

In my personal opinion, SnoopFree isn't even a good program at all.

I've tested... it was a small file, however it prompted me to reboot after installation and removal.

I executed Spybot-SD and as you said, SF alerted me of a moderate level risk. I see that as a false positive. Spybot-SD is NOT a keylogger and is NOT bundled with spyware or anything associated with that. SaferNetworking is dedicated to remove malware.

SF was lasted updated in 2004 (1.0.7). It acts more like SpywareGuard. Even though with definitions from 2004, SG is robust and offers spyware and hijack protection.
    --
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...57&postcount=3
    --

If you would like an alternative to SF, use SG.

Default Screen Viewing

The version I am running is 1.5.2.0.

I am more than happy with Spybot and think it is an excellent programme. I also am aware that there are ligitimate reasons that a programme may screen view. I very much doubt there is anything dodgy going on with Spybot. I'm just curious to see if anyone knows why Spybot causes this alert

Question SnoopFree Vs SpywareGuard

Based on reviews by Cnet and also the users of both programmes, I would have to conclude that SnoopFree is the better software. Yes it had quite a few bad reviews but almost all related to problems running the software. It looks like it's not compatible with Vista. As it runs fine on my PC (XP), I think it will be worthwhile.

I would however still like to hear from anyone who can explain why SpyBot causes a screen viewing alert.

Does it scan what's currently running in the memory?
    Does it do some form of initial check as it loads?

Certainly when I block it from screen viewing, it still works fine

I believe it is a false positive. I use other monitoring programs, and none of them have alerted me of a screenview from Spybot. However, I have seem "keyboard" views from Comodo's DEFNESE + (HIP application).

What I don't like about SF's site is that it generates a sense of paranoia. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I can believe it is a false positive and you can safely ignore the warning.

The reviews from Cnet aren't really that recent/modern.

The bars you see on Spybot, indicates a boot up (Spybot is loading).

Drrrag, not just a boot-up, it -does- do other things as well (plays around with the hosts file, for one. not sure why but it does!) - Chris

Question Screen Viewing

I haven't ever looked at SF's website I just downloaded from Cnet. As I say I trust Spybot and have had great results using it with AVG and Glary Utilities. I'm just after an explanation as to why it provides the false positive. As I say once I block the viewing, Spybot continues as ussual. So what process has caused the alert and what have I blocked?

You may as well ask SF about this. As far as I know... there hasn't been a update in some time.

@Chris: Really? I think you mean "verifying" the HOSTS file?

Default SF Updates

From what I understand updates are pretty irrelevant due to the way in which the software works. It isn't simply searching for items it has on a blacklist but is scanning for activity. I dare say this is why it is flagging Spybot, as this is a monitoring tool.

I would however still like to know what Spybot is doing that causes this alert