Thread: Mozilla Firefox

Default Mozilla Firefox

I'm using Firefox browser now and I need to set up a password to prevent entry . I have AOL and internet explorer with locked entries, but I just can't find how to in Firefox.

Tools -> Options -> Security -> Use a master password.

Is that what you were looking for?

No that isn't it. In Int./Exp. it is in tools, options, content, then enable/disable.
    So when I try to open Int/Exp from desktop, a screen comes up asking for my password. You can't get online without it. Same with AOL. I have a very clever 15 year old who I don't want online in my absence right now.

Quote Originally Posted by prab~ View Post
    Tools -> Options -> Security -> Use a master password.

Is that what you were looking for?
    prab, that would be using a master password for login pages.

ken, I searched corner and under. Firefox does not offer that function.
    Can you elaborate on how you "lock" IE and the AOL browser?

drragostea, Here's the deal. With Aol you can open browser but can't go online or open anything until you identify yourself with password.

With Int/Exp you have to establish this yourself. Tools--Content--Settings--(page comes up Content Advisor, in the middle of the page there is "Supervisor Password", so you set up password.
    Next time you open Int/Exp a box appears asking for that password.

Then you must give password and then go to Tools, Content and click disable, (that disables it so it won't keep coming on every page you turn).

Then as you finish online, Tools, Content, Enable, (this leaves it secure as you leave). Firefox must have this too, just can't find it.

Well, ken here is the deal. I checked and double checked and Firefox shows no evidence of the "lockdown" feature provided IE or the AOL browser. I do not use the AOL browser so I would not know.

I use IE7 and to me instead of a "lockdown" it looks more like a content "filterer". So basically in IE7, it would be setting which sites can and cannot be used.

E-mail Mozilla for this issue. Unless another member steps up, this is the best solution.

I have a very clever 15 year old who I don't want online in my absence right now.
    When I was a clever 15 year old (I'm 19 now.) I would use portable Firefox to avoid using IE at school. Your child could be doing the same thing to get around your blocks. I would recommend blocking internet access with a software/hardware firewall. These will block all access including web browsers.

For example if you have a belkin router, goto http://192.168.2.1/fw_clientip.html. Make sure you set a strong administrator password or your child will be able to change these settings him/her self.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Lightbulb or even simpler......

First off: "When I was a clever 15 year old (I'm 19 now.) I would use portable Firefox to avoid using IE at school......." haha no comments there

I would have a password on your user account. does he have his own user account on the computer? you can get software that will record the screen so that even if you are away, you know what he has been on. Also, is he smart enough to erase his history? if not, check that and his temporary internet files to find out what sites he is on. For firefox, try looking for a addon from mozillas addons site to see if you can find a addon that will perform that task. good luck!!
    Last edited by 129260; 2008-06-23 at 23:21.

a clever 15 year old would still be able to get past the router security by resetting the router to it's default settings... there is usually a little button to reset it to factory settings... i've had to use this a couple of times on mine to get my router to work again... although mine is a linksys router and they tend to use the same defaults for most of thier products...

and for the erasing of history, the browsers usually keep a history record that is not cleared when you choose to clear the history... if you get desperate, build a BartPE disk for internet and disable everything pertaining to internet on the OS installed on the HD and keep the disk with you... but that's only for the desperate and should be used only as a last resort if at all...