Thread: Problems since installing FireFox 3

Default Problems since installing FireFox 3

I had some problems in the past with spyware or whatever when I was using Firefox. The place that I noticed it in particular was when I would load my online email client, Juno.com. That little bar down at the bottom would flash many invading sites so quickly I could barely read any of the names. But the names were ones like tribalfusion, cyclops.prod.untd..., adyields, and much such garbage.

So, I quit using FireFox. But I just tried the new version 3 and really liked it because it was much faster than IE. But when I would go to the Juno.com site to access my email, I would see all those spybots (if that's what you call them) on the status bar at the bottom before the page would load.

This worried me, so I cranked up Spybot - Search and Destroy, updated it as I hadn't used it in a long time, and am not scanning with it. It's taking quite a long time to scan.

Anyway, I did a google search on the name of one of those invaders - cyclops.prod.untd - and came up with a link to this forum. So, I just thought I'd describe this experience as best I could here to see if the experts here could make any suggestions.

I was hoping that the new FireFox guarded against such stuff better. I would like to keep using it as it seems quite a bit faster than IE generally. But it isn't faster loading Juno.com what with all the spyware that wants to get loaded along with it.

Oh. I also use Zone Alarm as my firewall.

Thanks for any advice you can offer about this situation.

cheers.

Rs, welcome to SaferNetworking Forums.

Those "garbage" you see on the bottom left hand corner are actually... you can say cookies or ads that are loading into your browser.

I'm a ex-Netzero user, because I was on dial-up back then. Found that Netzero installs a lot of "garbage" into your OS.

The sites, such as ad.yieldmanager are ads, if that's how you'd like to call them. I do not think there is a way to avoid them as they load automatically with your Juno page. The cookies and ads, I wouldn't consider malicious. But just some minor annoyance. My best suggestion to you is to fire-up Spybot. Update it and IMMUNIZE. The immunize feature offers good protection, as it adds restricted (in other words, "bad" sites) to your restricted zone of your browser. This includes ad.yieldmanager and tribalfusion if I'm correct.

Safe surfing .

Also in firefox install Adblock Plus and Filterset.G

Firefox 3 would be a step higher in all aspects than Firefox 2. Those ads you shouldn't be concerned about. It's just a minor annoyance. You can delete them after every browser session.

Thing is that they WILL always come back if you continue to visit the JUNO page.

AdBlock plus will do your browser much good (in my opinion) because it cuts down the loading time. When you load a page, it may also load the ads, thus taking up more bandwidth.

Juno is dial-up connection or a DSL?