Thread: Spybot 1.5 & Opera 9.5

Default Spybot 1.5 & Opera 9.5

I just installed Opera 9.5 on my new laptop compuer today and I absolutely LOVE this browser. I was a former fan of Firefox, but I haven't installed it on the laptop yet and I probably won't now.

I also downloaded and installed Spybot 1.5 today and installed it. I do not have the resident features activated. I have not applied immunization yet. I did run a scan and it found tracking cookies in Internet Explorer, which I deleted.

I looked at the immunization settings, and Opera 9.5 is listed there as being a recognized and supported browser. However, when I go to check the 'ignore cookies' list to see what spybot says is stored on my hard drive, there's a great big list of IE cookies and nothing whatsoeve for Opera.

I do NOT have Opera set to delete cookies at any time. I can't find a cookies file for Opera on my laptop at all, but when I check the 'manage cookies' feature via the Opera browser, it lists cookies, so I think they're in here somewhere. However, I've searched the computer and cannot find a 'cookies' file at all.

My question is: Is Opera 9.5 supported by Spybot 1.5?

By the way, I've mentioned in another thread that on my desktop PC, Spybot did see my Firefox 2.x cookies but was not finding the spyware cookies on a scan.

On my laptop, I've downloaded a file and installed it and I'm not even using the same browser.

What gives with the cookies issue? I don't know what to think now.

To answer your question: Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20 does partially support Opera 9.5. But it does not immunize Opera cookies.

This is because Opera is modern, but it still uses some aspects, thus Spybot recognizes it.

Version 1.6 beta recognizes Opera cookies and immunization.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll make do until Spybot 1.6 comes off beta then. (I'm not brave enough to try beta software!)

I'm going to leave immunizer off then.

I suppose Spybot wouldn't find tracking cookies in Opera either.

Too many people, too much new stuff out all at once, and things aren't working together. (I'm hearing rumblings about Firefox 3 not being compatible with features of AVG 8 and Spybot as well.)

I'm glad Spybot is going to work with Opera. I tried Opera several years ago on an old computer, but that computer was having serious problems and Opera crashed constantly. Opera has become much nicer to use since then, and my hardware is much more stable and can handle it.

I've heard those stories too ;-/. Currently, Spybot does recognize Firefox 3, but it takes minutes and maybe longer just to immunize. However, you can Immunize Opera with ease. By this I mean you can just immunize like you always do. However, the cookie portion of Opera will not.

Version 1.6 (much faster) will be released on July 4th.

I understand what you mean by AVG's Linkscanner. It takes forever to scan a link. I have to admit AVG is a good AV, thing is that it finds false positives. I'm not sure if it still does, as I'm a ex-AVG 8.0 user.