Thread: Downloading updates

Default Downloading updates

After we do a download of new updates, do we have to wait for SpyBot to install them, of can we exit as soon as the downloads are made?

How will we know when the downloads are complete and we can exit?

Thank you.

Alice

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html

Here you go, after step 4 (in the pics) you will see a green bar in the bottom part of that window, when a file finishes downloading the checkboxes to the left of the name will turn to a green tick (if it turns into a red cross [or something], the download failed, try a different server and redownload)

hope that helps - Chris

Edit: If it doesn't help, here's the -specific- answer: Spybot will install automatically after a good download. You can exit if you like (although a good idea would be to check immunization at the least).
    To know if downloads are complete, see above. They're complete when all the boxes you checked turn into green ticks, then you can exit
    Last edited by ChrisWarFi; 2008-06-22 at 16:03. Reason: Adding info

Hello tiger2. After a successful install of Spybot-SD, you will be prompted to download the latest updates. I would suggest you create the registry backup first. After that check for the latest updates. You'll have to select a server to download from. After downloading, the update window will have the "hourglass" symbol (installing updates). Immunize and you're good to go.

Default Thank you

I already have SpyBot installed. I was referring to the download/updates. I notice other programs I have to download updates for usually say downloading and then AFTER the download it says something like INSTALLING NOW. I wondered if SpyBot had the same procedure. It appears that SpyBot just downloads the updates and installation is done immediately. AFTER the download finishes, there is no installation time needed.
    I just notice that after each file is downloaded, the Check Mark disappears from the box (I don't remember seeing a green tick/check); and so on down the list and then when last check/tick disappears I presume everything is finished -there is no installation that we have to wait for.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    After that check for the latest updates. You'll have to select a server to download from. After downloading, the update window will have the "hourglass" symbol (installing updates). Immunize and you're good to go.
    This will answer your question.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

tiger2:

Quote Originally Posted by tiger2 View Post
    ... and so on down the list and then when last check/tick disappears I presume everything is finished -there is no installation that we have to wait for.
    To the best of my knowledge, correct with one exception (see Note #1 below).

Just add something to the following for clarification:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWarFi View Post
    ... when a file finishes downloading the checkboxes to the left of the name will turn to a green tick (if it turns into a red cross [or something], the download failed, ...
    It appears that the download, verification and installation of each of the listed downloads is independent in the respect that when the checkmark appears that individual update is complete.

Note #1: If a program or dll update is done, SpybotSD, TeaTimer, SDHelper, etc. is sometimes terminated and restarted. In that case although the update is completed it will not take affect until the restart completes.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.