Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which AV for my old and deing computer?

Default Which AV for my old and deing computer?

Hi,
    I have symantec anti virus and it doesn't seem to be doing a good job of keeping my computer clean. Im going to remove it and install Avast! AV. What do you guys think? Will Avast! use up less recourses than symantec AV? Also what can i do to get this computer running faster? Mozilla firefox takes literally like 30 seconds to a minute to open up and startup is a pain!

Thanks for all the help,
    XxChronic2007xX

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by xxchronic2007xx View Post
    Hi,
    I have symantec anti virus and it doesn't seem to be doing a good job of keeping my computer clean. Im going to remove it and install Avast! AV. What do you guys think? Will Avast! use up less recourses than symantec AV?
    These links may help in making a decision.

Anti Virus Programs

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=7683
    Quote Originally Posted by xxchronic2007xx View Post
    Also what can i do to get this computer running faster? Mozilla firefox takes literally like 30 seconds to a minute to open up and startup is a pain!
    Knowing which Operating System you have would be useful in order for someone to advise.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Sorry for posting a little late, i have windows XP.
    Thanks,
    XxChronic2007xX

As in the link described above, there was this issue in the past where Symantec's Norton reported a false positive about SaferNetworking's Spybot-SD. In conclusion, Norton posted an update which resolved the conflict .

Firefox should be a jiffy. It should start up much faster than IE (in my perspective). Unless you have some dozen themes and add-ons bogging down Firefox. The latest version should do.

The recommended amount of RAM for Windows XP is 512 MB. Say like you have 256MB, that might take some programs longer to open up (maybe by some seconds :P).

Have you cleaned the cache, temp. files, and cookies in your browser?
    Also, have you defragmented your drive lately? It should speed things up.

I have not defragmented my hard drive, how do i do that anyways? I don't think i have a defragmenter... my computer has 512mb of ram, its just a really old computer. After reading that thread about symantec.... they are EVIL!

Thanks,
    XxChronic2007xX

Edit: I don't have a lot of add-ons at all on firefox, i have also cleared all that stuff (cookies etc.)
    Last edited by xxchronic2007xx; 2008-06-04 at 01:12.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    As in the link described above, there was this issue in the past where Symantec's Norton reported a false positive about SaferNetworking's Spybot-SD. In conclusion, Norton posted an update which resolved the conflict .
    Also 24 pages of users expressing their personal experiences with Norton on their machines.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thank you tashi and drragostea, i have everything sorted out

~XxChronic2007xX

24 pages. *whistle Wow. O.O

I don't have to time to start flaming at Symantec Norton. Lols, I would if I had the time.

Download.com user's gave Norton a 1/5 rating. I was one of them. I started blabbering all the negatives I could think of.

Personally, I don't believe those "maintenance" tools are necessary for your computer to "survive". :P It's just like a simple registry cleanup and some junk file cleanup. Sad part is that they do not specify what registry keys and "junk" (so-called) files. I tried one of them... found out that the program was about to delete my Restore Points in just an attempt to save 500MB of space.

I wouldn't recommend registry cleaners, but compacters will do fine. The registry does not take up a significant amount of space. It doesn't even compare to Adobe's Photoshop. Although I gotta admit that's a gargantuan program, lols.

xxchronic, have you taken an analysis of your drive? You should find it under ACCESSORIES.

xxcronic, I guess we were typing at the same time, lols. But you can follow my suggestions if you want. A fragmented drive can result a really sluggish start-up.

Yes i have taken an analysis of my drive and it says i should defrag, and what happens to the files in quarantine when you remove your AV?