Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can I track down someone with their mac address?

Default Can I track down someone with their mac address?

I have already went into my router settings and blocked this guys mac address from connecting to my network.

Here is the thing, there are several low income houses by me, all of which are where a single house used to be next door to my house. I know it is one of these houses that is trying to hop on my network. Last summer I had several intruders from around there but I managed to get them off with my network software. To sum things up, I plan to go knocking on the door(s) of whoever gets on my shit to let them know I don't play that.

I have the guys mac address, and he's running vista. Is there anyway I can track him down to a specific house?

Mac address? You mean IP Address?

I'm assuming you're using Wi-Fi, because unaware users can have other "leechers" leeching off the bandwidth of not properly secured.

Use WEP or WPA2 (it's something like changing the pass and login from default so it would be difficult for 'strangers' to use your Internet Access).

PS- Watch your language.

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Mac address? You mean IP Address?

I'm assuming you're using Wi-Fi, because unaware users can have other "leechers" leeching off the bandwidth of not properly secured.

Use WEP or WPA2 (it's something like changing the pass and login from default so it would be difficult for 'strangers' to use your Internet Access).

PS- Watch your language.
    No I know the difference between an IP address and a MAC address...

Don't assume, I'm not using wi-fi. I have a cable connection, my computer is wired to the router, my ps3 is wired to the router, and the computer in my living room uses the wireless ability from the router.

I understand why my network is insecure, the software I use (Network magic) the trial is up, and so is the network protection. I can manually block intruders using MAC filtering... I'm not asking that.

I'm asking if I can figure out which house is actually attempting to steal my bandwidth. All I can gather is the MAC address, and some minor details about the user's computer.

Oh, I see. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the MAC address. Please hold on until a team member or security expert answers this.

Esteemed Member

drragostea,

You already answered the question, they just don't get it. Obviously they just want to beat somebody up, which I'm sure you don't wish to help with anymore than I do.

The problem is their own insecure wireless network, so anyone can use it any time they like. Not securing it is simply saying 'go ahead', so they get what they deserve.

I wouldn't waste my time on such a fool.

Bitman

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post
    drragostea,

You already answered the question, they just don't get it. Obviously they just want to beat somebody up, which I'm sure you don't wish to help with anymore than I do.

The problem is their own insecure wireless network, so anyone can use it any time they like. Not securing it is simply saying 'go ahead', so they get what they deserve.

I wouldn't waste my time on such a fool.

Bitman
    So my trial ending is getting what I deserve? Okay buy the software for me so I can re-enable the mac filtering so I don't have to do it manually when I get an intruder on my network. I'm such a fool right?

I don't get why you're so hostile, I didn't plan to go beat the guy up, I just wanted to let him, and everyone else down there not to go on my network.

That is fine that you don't want to help me, I can respect that I'm not forcing anyone to help me.

look at your rude self...c'mon now. why dont you secure your network? no you can't track someone down to a specific house with a mac address. its not like a gps

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

drragostea:

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post
    Oh, I see. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the MAC address. Please hold on until a team member or security expert answers this.
    I didn't know what a MAC address was when this thread started, but a simple Google search for "mac address" yields:

KillahSam:

Quote Originally Posted by KillahSam View Post
    … Okay buy the software for me so I can re-enable the mac filtering so I don't have to do it manually when I get an intruder on my network. ...
    According to this article you can secure your network for $.50 (the article was written in 2004 so it might be a little more expensive now).

Equipment for knocking on doors:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by bay_life25 View Post
    look at your rude self...c'mon now. why dont you secure your network? no you can't track someone down to a specific house with a mac address. its not like a gps
    You could have answered your own question by reading my posts.

This is the deal, our cable bill was really high a few months back, I was unaware my software was letting everyone and their mama on my network. I blocked everyone there, and secured it.

Since then I've changed computers reinstalled my software secured the network up until the point the trial ended. Now the thing is I think it's the same people who where on my network then. This is my reason for wanting to at least track them down, because I had an idea of which house it was based on who was home, and what lights where on. These jerks been at it a while is what I'm saying and I'd like to give them a piece of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    drragostea:

I didn't know what a MAC address was when this thread started, but a simple Google search for "mac address" yields:

KillahSam:

According to this article you can secure your network for $.50 (the article was written in 2004 so it might be a little more expensive now).

That would be a really sweet way to block them. All of the houses in question face one side of my house only. My 2 neighbors across the street I'm pretty sure are not the ones doing it.

I'm not completely sure how far the signal can travel, perhaps I may have more houses to question.

But I can also go into my router settings and enable mac filtering from there.

I'm not having issues getting my network secured but thanks for the ideas.

And that knocking on door equipment is just what the doctor ordered.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28
    Well...y'all have an interesting way of paying a visit.
    I'm never having you over for tea and cookies.