Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't boot after v1.5.2 installation

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSays View Post
    I was able to create a BartPE disk, works great but the fix is not working, I changed the registry and rebooted, still logs in then logs out...

simon
    Had the same problem...made a BartPE disk, and at first I didn't think it was working either....because I was still being emediately logged out. However, the problem is that I was trying to enter the original PW to logon. This isn't necessary after you use the BartPE disk. The PW is no longer there. So you need make sure when you go back to login to your computer that you DONT enter a password after running BartPE...just hit enter and you should be able to log right on to your computer!

Making the BartPE turned out to be the most frustrating part of this whole nightmare process, but I'm just thankful I was able to get back into my computer without having to completely reinstall everything and wipe my computer!
    Last edited by helper; 2008-06-30 at 12:14.

Unhappy Chalk up 3 more hosed PCs

I downloaded the latest update last night, and today I am in the login/logout loop! My machine is a Dell. I came to work and asked our IT guy about it and he said 2 other people at work had had the exact same problem after running Spybot over the weekend!

I really think you should be devoting time to figuring out what your last update is doing to people's PCs... PRONTO!

Lightbulb

I'm running Spybot 1.6 RC1 and I'm not experiancing any problems.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Unhappy

Are you running XP? Are you running a non-OEM version (i.e. Dell, Emachine, etc)? All our problems are on these systems.

Default stuck too

same issues on my desktop. I believe that one is running an older version of spybot but i cannot get in to see which one it is

I ran the upgates on both desktop and laptop yesterday 6/29. Laptop which has a more current version is ok, desktop is stuck in a login/log off loop

both are running XP
    Laptops a toshiba/desktops a HP
    Last edited by Lab6689; 2008-06-30 at 21:43. Reason: adding more info

Lightbulb

I'm running a HP computer with Vista Home Premium SP1.
    Last edited by Terminator; 2008-06-30 at 21:44. Reason: Fixed Typo
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

For what it's worth, I am not experiencing any problems regarding those updates...and, like someone else on this thread said, the developers need to get right on this and find out what happened to all these PC's. I am rather nervous about this software right now, truth to tell.

I have 2 computers. One is an HP Desktop with Windows XP Media Center Edition. I'm using AVG 7.5 with that. I disabled AVG before running Spybot's installation. I do not have the IE helper or the teatimer turned on, only the immunizer. Spybot is not finding any problems on this machine, although I presently have a case presented to Castlecops re a suspicious file which I have since deleted, but that's not relevant. No behavior problems on this computer. Scans by BitDefender, ESET, and AVG say the computer is clean. In my inexpert opinion, I cannot see anything untoward in the HiJackthis logs.

The other is a Lenovo laptop running Windows XP Pro. I am not using any of the resident features. Spybot scans do not identify any problems. I am also using AVG 7.5 and have consulted Castlecops because this laptop is networked to the PC and I may have opened the file on it as well. I can't see an obvious problem on the Hijackthis log here either.

Neither system is displaying any aberrant behavior. Ewido scans on both cleared out 150 tracking cookies missed by Spybot.

I downloaded the update from the Canadian mirror.

Maybe this helps, maybe not...But I would want to know what the problem computers all have in common and the setups of machines that have not had any problems.

Good luck to all, hope you solve it soon!

P.S. OS's on both computers are SP2. Spybot version 1.5.2 on both as well. I use Firefox on the desktop and Opera on the laptop.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 2008-07-01 at 01:10.

Just for the record, I am running a Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 5150 computer. Today I used my Spybot (version 1.3) to download the latest malware definitions. I started the program and after a short time I noticed the “HELLZLITTLESPY” definition as one of the being found. I was not familiar with this spyware and before I did anything else I did a Google search and luckily found this web forum. When I went back and looked I discovered that this supposed malware was actually defining a part of the registry. So I was glad that I did not remove it.

I also noticed that one of the posts suggested that the problem might be that I was using the 1.3 version with the newer definitions causing the disastrous false positive. I was going to download the newest 1.5.2 version,as suggested when I noticed the other posts indicating that this very act seeming also produced the same boot up problem.

So at this time I am not going to do anything until this situation is cleared up. But I do appreciate this forums existence and will be following it for further information.

Best Regards,
    Bill

Since there were so many boot problems, I was thinking if some users had attempted md usa spybot fan's instruction:
    --
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...13&postcount=5
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...36&postcount=7
    --

Bill, if upgrading results in the boot loop, attempt to do a restore point in SAFE MODE.

Quote Originally Posted by billmars View Post
    Just for the record, I am running a Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 5150 computer. Today I used my Spybot (version 1.3) to download the latest malware definitions. I started the program and after a short time I noticed the “HELLZLITTLESPY” definition as one of the being found. I was not familiar with this spyware and before I did anything else I did a Google search and luckily found this web forum. When I went back and looked I discovered that this supposed malware was actually defining a part of the registry. So I was glad that I did not remove it.

I also noticed that one of the posts suggested that the problem might be that I was using the 1.3 version with the newer definitions causing the disastrous false positive. I was going to download the newest 1.5.2 version,as suggested when I noticed the other posts indicating that this very act seeming also produced the same boot up problem.

So at this time I am not going to do anything until this situation is cleared up. But I do appreciate this forums existence and will be following it for further information.

Best Regards,
    Bill
    I think it's always a good idea to confirm that anything any security program flags as 'malware' truly *is* malware. Any security program can come up with a false positive, and sometimes those can be devastating. I used to use ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and it was constantly trying to nuke my graphics card software!

I learned to appreciate virustotal.com and just recently discovered http://virusscan.jotti.org/ for getting a second opinion on individual files . When I want a second opinion with a full system scan, I use Bitdefender online for a full scan (set it to 'report only' first!) and I recently tried ESET for the first time a few days ago. Disable your resident antivirus before running these scanners. ESET provides the option to automatically clean. I did not let it do so. When I ran ESET, if it had found a problem, I would have made a note of it, researched it, and then decided if I wanted to redo the scan and let ESET clean it. Ewido is a good free online scanner as well. You can check there first to see if your resident AV is compatible before you run the scanner. It gives you the option of deciding what to do with any malware it finds as well. I used Panda a few years ago and it was good and thorough, as was Housecall. However, both these require constant back and forth between their server and your PC throughout the scan, and that takes too much bandwidth for that to be workable with my internet connection.

P.S. I'm not an expert, I'm just a person who used to own a Windows 98SE computer that required a LOT of pampering and 'fixing' to keep it running, and being in a rural area, I had to learn to do a lot by myself and ask a lot of questions at forums and e-mail lists because I simply had no other option. I now own a wonderfully stable XP Media Center Edition machine and it is very important to me that it STAY that way. The laptop is a little over a week old and running beautifully, as only a new computer can, and I also want to keep it that way.