Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't boot after v1.5.2 installation

A user sent me a PM with some information...I am posting it here so people can comment and possible give ideas in reference to what is mentioned here. Thanks.

Re: HellzLittleSpy Fix that really, really does work…..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I did see your posts at various different forums...and people's re-posts of your posts.

To be honest, I assumed this was some type of "troll service"....and that you were trying to drum up business for a small software seller.

After seeing the time you have spend on these PM's.....I don't think this is the case...and I appreciate your concern and trying to help.

First, I have to tell you that I did download the free program ver.8.....of course the boot disk is a paid for item....but this is OK. I downloaded to the only working computer in my home/small office setup. I see how the software creates restore points and it has a very nice interface....better than Norton in my opinion.

However, here is the problem...all of the computers have Norton Systemworks and Anti-Virus installed with GO BACK. Here is the problem. In order to try the other fixes mentioned in all of these posts....Norton wanted the removel of Go Back and all of it's components......this is before boot up....in a sort of pre boot....after bios area. It took about an hour to fully remove Go Back. This was the only way I could try the Win 2000 recovery console (didn't work)...the Bart Cd and/or the ISO/image...boot disk fiasco (requires two passes into safe mode!).

So, I believe that the earlier system states have all been removed....at least in the way that Norton reacts with them. The computer also never had Fix Vers. 8 installed of course, so whatever recovery points are created when the software is installed are not there.

I really do not think that this will work.

What are your thoughts?....by the way....I would gladly pay for the software...this is not the issue...I just think the system state recovery points are no longer there.

Nick Walker

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HP_XP_User
    Walker...

HellzLittleSpy Fix that really, really does work…..

Numerous, recent posts have indicated that the 06/25/08 update with SpyBot V1.3 seems to indicate CoolWWWSearch.hjg and HellzLittleSpy as false positives.

After going through the absolute “nightmare” of restoring my home network after letting SpyBot remove the “Userinit” value from the registry, here is how I managed to get my 3 home network PC set up back when the Userinit reg setting gets wiped out from the reg value settings,

As you know you can’t even really effectively boot into SafeMode, so you can’t even run a DOS prompt to run any batch program to re-write the registry, you get into that endless logon – logoff loop, etc., etc.,

………………..WELL DON’T RUN TO REFORMAT!

Go to the big audio/video chain stores and get a product called “Fix It Utilities Professional version 8. It is made by Avanquest, it sells for about $40, and it’s a 3 user license. Pop the CD into your drive, change any bios/boot up settings to allow the PC to boot from the CD rather than the hard drive and let the CD boot. Once it boots, and the interface comes up, run the program called Recovery Commander. Choose the option to restore from a System Restore Checkpoint. Let it run and assuming you do have a series of system checkpoints to choose from, you should be OK, once you reboot. This is a lifesaver!

By the way, I do not work for this company, I am not trying to submit an ad, I don’t get any kickbacks, I too was beyond enraged after letting Spybot screw my PC. Then I remembered that I had this software. I use this for other stuff, this utility is loaded with other things that you will want to use, I repeat it is a Lifesaver and perhaps the best $40 you will ever spend, since without that reg value your PC is nothing more than a very large and heavy paperweight!!!!!

By the way see my previous post about yet another false positive!

Hope this helps the countless users that seem to be hit by this “false positive”

HP-XP_User

As I stated in another thread, writing posts in upper caps or bold letters is usually regarded as "shouting" on the Internet. If you don't want to be seen as a "troll service", I would recommend sticking to the netiquette

The immediate consequence now is that updates will be closed for any dated versions, see the announcement. This is a no-win situation, as from experience we know that as many people as do complain like you do currently will complain about that and would request to still receive updates.

I think I did mention it before: the 1.3 user base are mostly those with Windows 95 and very small hardware. Where else in the industry do you find companies that still support Windows 9x? From the guys at any of the big commercial companies, you'll just receive an arrogant laugh (or worse) if you even mention it. So in the end, this step will lead to these people having no protection at all. I'm not sure if this indeed is better than having to take extra care with the scan results.
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

PepiMK......you are a very strange person.

Firstly, this is a cut and paste of a PM that another memeber sent to me concerning the problem. How you do not realize that is totally beyond me.

Then you refer to "Troll Service". Do you really think I am a troll trying to cause you or anyone at Spybot a problem? I am a guy with a toasted set of computers...caused by Spybot software. Please don't try to dismiss me as a troll. If you would like to meet in person on this issue let's trade info in PM and I'll discuss this with you in the near future. Don't take this as a threat...I am a friendly guy....but not a troll!!

Then you refer to the complaint......and that "people like me".......do complain......wtf? Do you think I really want to post here at all? I am not a computer hobbyist......I use computers out of necessity and try to use trouble free software that is simple and non-destructive. It is a good idea to discontinue updates for old versions.

The reality is that you do not understand what has happened, why it happened....and you want to be arrogant in your approach. Why not try to fix the problem for all the people with toasted computers....who were not careful with their scan results....ha....you must be joking!!....oh...please don't take this as a troll shout....please, please, please.

Quote Originally Posted by PepiMK View Post
    As I stated in another thread, writing posts in upper caps or bold letters is usually regarded as "shouting" on the Internet. If you don't want to be seen as a "troll service", I would recommend sticking to the netiquette

The immediate consequence now is that updates will be closed for any dated versions, see the announcement. This is a no-win situation, as from experience we know that as many people as do complain like you do currently will complain about that and would request to still receive updates.

I think I did mention it before: the 1.3 user base are mostly those with Windows 95 and very small hardware. Where else in the industry do you find companies that still support Windows 9x? From the guys at any of the big commercial companies, you'll just receive an arrogant laugh (or worse) if you even mention it. So in the end, this step will lead to these people having no protection at all. I'm not sure if this indeed is better than having to take extra care with the scan results.

Walker,

For what it's worth, I put the blame on Microsofts unstable operating system. Spybot is a third party free download and even though it's worked great for many years, these things are bound to happen. I bought a Mac today (using it now) and it's been seamless and simple so far. If your computing needs consist of photos, internet, basic home spreadsheet and word processing, etc., then you may want to go that route as well and rid yourself of Microsoft products.

I understand what you are saying.

Actually, Spybot was a favorite software for me. It corrected many problems for me in the past on many different systems. I rec. (past tense).....it to everyone and I even downloaded it onto two recently purchased laptops for my college kids.

I do however believe this is a major glitch...one that I have never seen before under any circumstances. Old versions equal no updates, freeze ups, reboots.......possible removal of the software.....etc.....never has it equalled a complete toasting with no answers forthcoming as to how to correct it.

Also, the attitude from some people who are "Team Bot"...is amazing to me. I would be working on getting some software solution. I burned an ISO image from a downloaded zip .........booted to this "solution"....and I still can't get accesss because it now wants two starts in "Safe Mode".

OK.....thanks for your comments.......I appreciate your thoughts.

I do like Apple products for the activities you note.....but for now I am heavily invested in Microsoft Win......on 11 different systems.... maybe some changes in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jms1002 View Post
    Walker,

For what it's worth, I put the blame on Microsofts unstable operating system. Spybot is a third party free download and even though it's worked great for many years, these things are bound to happen. I bought a Mac today (using it now) and it's been seamless and simple so far. If your computing needs consist of photos, internet, basic home spreadsheet and word processing, etc., then you may want to go that route as well and rid yourself of Microsoft products.
    Last edited by walker; 2008-07-04 at 02:03.

Default HellzlittleSpy UserInit issue

Maybe I posted in the wrong thread, I've been at this for days and my eyes are shot.

I chose "Method #2, Offline registry tools and password resetter" posted by Yodama

All went well with download of offline registry tool.
    When I come to-- "On the next prompt choose "9" Registry editor" it changes pages and prompts "What to do" "Simple registry editor"

I enter: cd Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon--just like example.

It gives back: (...)\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    as though it can't read it.
    I have repeated 4 times.

Has anyone used this method?

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post

I enter: cd Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon--just like example.

It gives back: (...)\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    as though it can't read it.
    I have repeated 4 times.
    Hello Steve_C,

your progress with this method is correct so far,
    this
    Code:
    (...)\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    shows that you have navigated to the required registry key.
    you just need to continue.

by entering
    Code:
    ls
    the contents (Keys and Values) of Winlogon will then be listed.

with
    Code:
    cat Userinit
    you can view what data is present in Userinit

with
    Code:
    ed Userinit
    you will be able to change the data for Userinit
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

....but what can be done about the two safe mode visits if the volume is "dirty"? As you know, you cannot get into safe mode. So, the software will not write to the disk...reading it as "read only". Do you have the solution to this?....or any other idea....as Method #2 was the only one for Win 2000 not on a network. I have now put approx. 20 hours into this....and still have 3 disabled machines.

By the way, I was able to get all the way through the ISO file...but it won't change the registry values as it is perceiving that it cannot write.

If you have any ideas, I'll even remove the drive from the machine and put it in the only machine that works here.
    Last edited by walker; 2008-07-04 at 09:20.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    ....but what can be done about the two safe mode visits if the volume is "dirty"? As you know, you cannot get into safe mode. So, the software will not write to the disk...reading it as "read only". Do you have the solution to this?....or any other idea....as Method #2 was the only one for Win 2000 not on a network. I have now put approx. 20 hours into this....and still have 3 disabled machines.

By the way, I was able to get all the way through the ISO file...but it won't change the registry values as it is perceiving that it cannot write.

If you have any ideas, I'll even remove the drive from the machine and put it in the only machine that works here.
    If the boot disc tells you that you will have to reboot into windows safe mode twice so it can write, then you should follow that instruction.

To get into Windows safe mode you need to press F8 after the Bios screen and before the graphical Windows boot screen.
    Choose to boot into safe mode, if it is not present press F8 again.
    After Windows has booted into safe mode (do not try to login), restart the computer properly:
    choose to "shut down" then "restart". If you do not see the option for shutting down click the options button.
    repeat this procedure, then boot from the bootcd from method 2, it is now possible to write the changes.
    born in the shadow to die in the shadow, that is the fate of the shinobi

Spybot S&D Downloads

Please help us improve Spybot and download our distributed testing client.

I appreciate the quick answer.....but I believe a boot into safe mode is impossible with the missing file (removed by hellzlittlespy error).

If I could get into safe mode I could fix the problem.