Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Can't boot after v1.5.2 installation

Hi rvnmaniac!

I probably have finally found the reason why NTFS4DOS doesn't work for you. What capacity does your hard drive has? The
    reason why I'm asking is because DOS doesn't support every hardware and this is probably the reason why we are
    unable to find your system. Without the recovery console and without the support of a Windows PE system this is gonna be one of the
    toughest repair procedure.

Is a repair installation an option for you? I know you will loose all the Windows Updates and the restore points but your personal data
    will not be removed nor the installed applications. Some of them won't work after the repair installation because the registry would be
    replaced as well.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repa...sting%20Setup:

The above solution would be our last resort. There are still methods left which we haven't tried yet. Just keep it in mind if
    you don't have the time to try them out.

Do you still have a floppy drive? If yes, do you have ever created an automatic start disk?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...99526&x=5&y=20

Default Where do we go from here?

I'm back up and running - got in using Spybot's "Method #2" solution when Fix-It Utilities didn't work for me. It is only by a miracle that I think I succeeded. I am not technically minded at all, and just entered commands on faith then hit reboot with fingers crossed. I wish everyone else still dealing with this issue much much luck. I totally wasted my entire 4-day holiday weekend dealing with this fiasco, and am still working on my system to be sure I have no permanent problems.

This whole mess is a prime example of the abysmal failure of the computer technology sector's ability to communicate with the masses with clear cut instructions and user-friendly "safe" technology. Computers are here to stay that is a given. But when you have college-educated users who are unable to understand even the most "basic" of commands, there is a problem with communication. A HUGE problem.

With most technology, you don't have to understand it to use it. I drive a car. I put gas in it, keep it tuned and serviced, I learn the rules of the road and I drive. Technology and models change, but overall a car is a car. Relatively simple. Almost everyone on the planet can drive one.

I own a computer. I have to have several operating systems to run it safely and efficiently, based on my individual or corporate needs. Each operating system has its own methodology. Change one system, must change some of the other system, but maybe not all. Average user guesses wrong on one step of an update, something major goes wrong, and out comes the techno-language that baffles almost everyone on the planet.

Computer technology is changing so quickly most of us cannot keep up - even if we understood what we're trying to keep up with. But most of us have other jobs that keep the planet running - important jobs like police officer, fireman, college professor... We don't have time to learn to function in a whole second industry. Sometimes we don't even know what questions to ask in order to get help. And therein lies the rub, my fellow discontented ones - those fellow humans who do learn this stuff for a living cannot communicate with those of us who don't!

I've learned more about computer operting systems in the last 6 days than I ever thought I'd learn - and feel I know absolutely nothing still!!! I've read multiple discussion threads on multiple websites, from post one to pages ad nauseum, and what I see are two distinct sides: Those who profess to know what they are doing - and those of us just struggling to keep up. The problem is, a lot of the time those who should know don't - but won't admit to it - and those of us struggling along feel grabbed by the short hairs (to put it as mildly as I can).

Face it: Computer technology is not like other technology because of three major issues: It involves technology evolving so quickly most can't keep up; it involves a major amount of trust in strangers who profess that they will keep us safe; and it involves connection to the internet where anyone in the world can maliciously invade our technology any time they want. It's the end of the world....

Spybot Tech Team: Re-read all the boards on this problem. You have a major trust issue with your product now that may not be surmountable - especially since you have just released another version of your spyware that is already having installation issues. Terminator says, "hopefully" this (current) problem will be sorted out by the new release. Not holding my breath. PepiMK, in many posts you've accused us public users of "deciding to ignore both this message and the two updates available," and "(ending updates to 1.3) ...will lead to these people having no protection at all. I'm not sure if this indeed is better than having to take extra care with the scan results." Well, right now, having no protection at all sounds a whole lot better than installing a program designed to help us but that actually helps to bring us down. Not a good way to regain broken trust...

Computer techs across the world: PLEASE find some way to speak in easy to understand, regular everyday people language! And please do not offer solutions until you are absolutely sure they will work for us mere mortals. Your updates obviously weren't obvious, or most of us would have updated! My husband ran spybot daily, and repeatedly has gone to the internet to access updates. Why didn't the system update automatically, not just the definitions? When Adaware updated their operating version, it was boldly announced on startup and directions for finding and downloading the most up-to-date version were clearly given. You can't hide something, and expect everyone to find it. And all this stuff about having to decide if each scan result was valid or not. Ummmm... isn't spybot designed to find bad stuff for us to remove from our computers before it causes damage? Why should I - like most, a non-technology oriented user - have to decide if Spybot is telling the truth or not?? Oh, see there... back to that trust issue again.

I will not be reinstalling any version of Spybot on my computer. It is obviously too difficult for stupid little me to use. You might have retained me as a user if the tech team had been able to show a little more organization in their response to this crisis, and compassion toward their wounded users. But turning this issue back on us and telling us it was our fault is too much. Faith gone.

One last question that I hope I can get a straightforward, understandable answer to: Since I used Method #2 to get back into my system, is hellzlittlespy still there, waiting for me to use my Norton or Adaware program to find, remove, and start me back into that logon loop, or am I good to go? Please, give me one last simple answer I can trust.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Mopeyone:

In the following analogy:

Quote Originally Posted by Mopeyone View Post

With most technology, you don't have to understand it to use it. I drive a car. I put gas in it, keep it tuned and serviced, I learn the rules of the road and I drive. Technology and models change, but overall a car is a car. Relatively simple. Almost everyone on the planet can drive one.

Do you personally perform the maintenance to "… keep it tuned and serviced, …". There was a day when a shade tree mechanic could pull out a timing light and tachometer, change the points and plugs and tune a car. Those days are gone too.

Using a computer is one thing. Unfortunately, in many cases maintaining it takes a different skill set.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Gee, thank you for choosing to rebut back but not answer my question. Suffice it to say that it seems that computer technologists will never understand the root of the frustration of their consumer base. I don't know why I tried.

Please, just let me know if I need to do anything more to get hellzlittlespy off my computer. I am sorry I am stupid and I don't really understand what I was able to fix - only that I was able to get past it. And I don't understand what a "false positive" is. And I don't know if I am truly free of this mess. Please, just tell me how to get past this so I can leave this forum and never ever come back.

Lightbulb

I can safely say that Spybot 1.6.0.30 has cured this unfortunate problem and many others therefore I strongly advise all users to upgrade to it ASAP .

This whole mess was the result of conflicts between old and new technology (pay attention Microsoft). Those of you who insist on using obsolete versions of Spybot must shoulder a portion of the blame for this as it has been said, on more then one occassion, that the newer definitions are NOT fully compatible with versions 1.4 and below.

I accept that Windows 95/98/ME/2000 users may have problems running the latest versions of Spybot because of resource problems but that is your problem, not Spybots.

I know it sounds like I'm getting at the users of older operating systems but i'm not I'm just trying to draw a line under this mess and kick start the healing process.

As my last word on the subject, if you must use an older version of Windows be careful and if in doubt don't!!!
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Lightbulb

Gee, thank you for choosing to rebut back but not answer my question. Suffice it to say that it seems that computer technologists will never understand the root of the frustration of their consumer base. I don't know why I tried.

Please, just let me know if I need to do anything more to get hellzlittlespy off my computer. I am sorry I am stupid and I don't really understand what I was able to fix - only that I was able to get past it. And I don't understand what a "false positive" is. And I don't know if I am truly free of this mess. Please, just tell me how to get past this so I can leave this forum and never ever come back.
    A "False Positive" is just a techie term for for thinking a file/entry is one thing when in fact it's something completely differant.

Your not stupid, I remember 8 years ago when I took my 1st IT course, I went into it thinking I knew everything about computers but I was totally and utterly WRONG, I went in at an intermediate level and after a fortnight I was ready to jack it in but I stuck with it and it made me a better person.

What I knew 8 years ago about computers compared to now could be written on the back of a postage stamp with space to spare. Computers are a constant learning curve, every day My computer teaches me something new and I learn from it.

To keep a computer tuned and ready to use, just follow these simple points:

1: Defrag your computer at least once a month.

2: Keep your Security Programs and Windows up to date by checking for updates every day or 2.

3: Run Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware Scans once fortnight.

4: If you don't understand something ask a knowledgable friend or a computer repair shop to clarifiy it for you.

5: Once a year format (wipe) your hard drive and re-install Windows and any other Essential programs.

6: Get a good drive cleaner and clear out the temp files and your Internet history once a week

If you have trouble doing these then ask your friendly local Repair shop to do it for you .
    Last edited by Terminator; 2008-07-08 at 16:59. Reason: Clarified Point and added Info

I do not want to install version 1.6 of Spybot. Am I safe? Is hellslittlespy still on my computer? For this situation only: What will 1.6 do for me that leaving it off my computer won't? I continue not to understand the ramifications of this overall issue. Honestly, my mind (like many) is incapable of understanding computer technology. Trust me, I'm not an overall stupid person, but I know my limits - I am willing to admit them, but I refuse to be guilted by them. Please understand this. Am I safe, that is all I want to know. If I am not, what is the simplest way for me to get past the hellslittlespy invasion?

FYI - I use Windows XP Pro, on a computer-geek built system from various manufactured components (not all dell, HP, etc.)

Default Please clarify...

Terminator, our posts crossed. You seem to be trying to help, so thank you. But... I still need reassurance regarding the HLS issue:

All of those items you list to keep a computer running efficiently we are already doing, as frequently or more often as you recommend. We will continue to practice these, and I appreciate the reminder. However, I need to know: Is HLS off my computer? If still there, how do I get rid of it safely? I don't mean to sound paranoid, but... well... I'm paranoid.

Talking

I do not want to install version 1.6 of Spybot. Am I safe? Is hellslittlespy still on my computer? For this situation only: What will 1.6 do for me that leaving it off my computer won't? I continue not to understand the ramifications of this overall issue. Honestly, my mind (like many) is incapable of understanding computer technology. Trust me, I'm not an overall stupid person, but I know my limits - I am willing to admit them, but I refuse to be guilted by them. Please understand this. Am I safe, that is all I want to know. If I am not, what is the simplest way for me to get past the hellslittlespy invasion?

FYI - I use Windows XP Pro, on a computer-geek built system from various manufactured components (not all dell, HP, etc.)
    1.6 isn't affected by the false positive and since your running XP you'll have more than enough Computer resources to run it with out incident.

"Am I safe? Is hellslittlespy still on my computer?"

The only way you'll find that out is to install spybot and run another scan and if it shows up then you'll know.

When it comes to computing and the Internet we all need to be a little bit careful but there is no shame in asking for help, If you don't understand something ask.

Okay, so I install 1.6 and run a scan and HLS shows up again. What do I do then?????????????? I know you are trying to be patient with me, but this now paranoid non-technology oriented human does not understand the ramifications of finding something like this. I really hate making assumptions with computer stuff is involved (see where that got me already in prior posts). But can I assume if it doesn't find it I'm safe? or is this a dangerous assumption? And if it does find it, what do I do about it?? Really, intense handholding necessary at this point (and I bet I'm not the only one out there needing it).

Thanks again, really.

And, and just before I hit "send" I thought of another question. If I choose to keep the newest Spybot version on my computer, what is to prevent this ever happening again? I sincerely don't understand how we let this happen in this instance, I'm quite sure we'll probably miss letting it happen again. In the past we've done spybot updates - run a scan - deleted whatever it told us to delete - shut down, no problems. If I have to look at each entry spybot flags to try determine if it is a real threat or not, I guarantee I'm gonna get in trouble again.

Answering the top of this post more important at this point than the bottom question. I want the immediate threat off my computer, then I'll deal with moving forward.

Again, thanks.