Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Can't boot after v1.5.2 installation

Quote Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
    Help. I have been trying to fix the log on/log off problem for several days. I am working on a romote computer with XP Home edition.

Using Yadama's instructions I followed the procedures in Method 2. I was able to do everything successfully, but when I tried to log on the problem was still there. I repeated the procedure several times. Each time the register entry has remained the corrected form:

c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Then method 4 was posted and I followed it. I created a NTFS4Dos cd. Booting it in my computer I get to

A:\>

Here I type in:

cd c:\Windows\system32\config

and I get the message:

CHDIR failed for 'c:\Windows\system32\config'

if i simply type:

cd c:

then the following appears

C:\
    A:\

Any suggestions?

Any help out there i'm in this exact boat..........

type c:

A:\>c:

press 'Enter'

C:\>

type cd c:\Windows\system32\config

C:\>cd c:\Windows\system32\config

press 'Enter'

C:\Windows\system32\config>

Quote Originally Posted by shame2 View Post

type c:

press 'Enter'

type cd c:\Windows\system32\config

C:\>cd c:\Windows\system32\config

press 'Enter'

If only i can get there:

I did everything you did above and continue to get

CHDIR failed for c:\Windows\system32\config

So i've got other problems apparently. I also can no longer get to the sign in window that has the dreaded sign in log off problem. DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA

type c:

press 'Enter'

C:\> <- Can you get this far? The C: prompt. You must get to this stage first.

If you didn't get this then do it and try entering your 'cd ....' command again. If that fails try this at the C:\> prompt:

type dir c:

C:\>dir c:

Press 'Enter'

a list of dir's (directories aka folders) on the root of C: will be displayed

See what your windows folder is called. Eg 'Windows' for XP, 'Winnt' for windows2000
    To access other drives from the command prompt the first command you have to enter is simply the drive letter followed by a colon eg:
    a: or b: or c: ........ x: y: z: etc etc to get the correct drive letter prompt.
    The command " cd " means 'Change Directory' (directory also known as folder)
    The error message you're getting 'CHDIR failed.....' means at least one of the directories/sub-directories in that path cannot be found.

Make sure you are typing the path correctly, no extra spaces etc.

Have a poke around with the drive letters and the dir command if you have more than one drive.
    "I also can no longer get to the sign in window......"
    You're not leaving the boot cd or floppy in it's drive are you?

Quote Originally Posted by shame2 View Post

type c:

press 'Enter'

C:\> <- Can you get this far? The C: prompt. You must get to this stage first.

If you didn't get this then do it and try entering your 'cd ....' command again. If that fails try this at the C:\> prompt:

type dir c:

Press 'Enter'

a list of dir's (directories aka folders) on the root of C: will be displayed

See what your windows folder is called. Eg 'Windows' for XP, 'Winnt' for windows2000
    To access other drives from the command prompt the first command you have to enter is simply the drive letter followed by a colon eg:
    a: or b: or c: ........ x: y: z: etc etc to get the correct drive letter prompt.
    The command " cd " means 'Change Directory' (directory also known as folder)
    The error message you're getting 'CHDIR failed.....' means at least one of the directories/sub-directories in that path cannot be found.

Make sure you are typing the path correctly, no extra spaces etc.

Have a poke around with the drive letters and the dir command if you have more than one drive.
    "I also can no longer get to the sign in window......"
    You're not leaving the boot cd or floppy in it's drive are you?
    I can get here

and then here

I'm at work and can't make use of the laptop right now but the info i got after going to the dir c: was minimal at best...

Actually what showed i put in another thread Saturday/sunday which appears to be lost now. CHI-VA was assisting at the time.....I'll have to get back to this once i get home......

THANKS

Hi rvnmaniac!

My posts are lost too. Something seems to wrong with your system. If I remember it correctly you have a Windows XP CD available. In this case I would recommend to build a BartPE CD. It is just a small download. You will need about 30 minutes to build the CD. The advantage is that you have an user interface similar to Windows XP which makes it easier to find and repair your system. No need to use stupid, confusing command lines.

Homepage from BartPE:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Here is a little video for building the CD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78gKzcuq-dw

You can find a guide for repairing your system here(post 27):
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...078#post210078

Before you can use the above fix you have to find your Windows system first. I would recommend to use "Total commander" (a file manager) which you can find on your BartPE CD.

Find this folder:

c:\windows\system32\config

Probably it is c: but it could be a different one. Don't mix it up with the folder for BartPE. It is easily to distinguish if you just take a look if the drive contains your data.

If you have found your system drive please rename(right mouse on the specific file and choose rename):

'default.bak' to 'default'
    'sam.bak' to 'sam'
    'system.bak' to 'system'
    'software.bak' to 'software'
    'security.bak' to 'security'

This is necessary because we have to undo the changes from the recovery console. After that you can proceed like described in this post:

I have to ask it again because this is necessary to understand what has happen to your system. Do you only have used the recovery console to rename the file names? You haven't formated the drive nor created new partitions? The same with the ultimate boot CD?

Formatting and creating new partitions would definitely delete your data. So don't do it.

Default I too have a question about this, please help!!

Unlike these unfortunate guys, I didn't shut down my computer after version 1.3 found hellzlittlespy. Out of curiosity, I googled hellzlittlespy and came to this. needless to say I freaked after reading all this.
    So, I made the entry in the regedit userinit value box as told (it was missing!)
    Will this keep my computer from this nightmare?
    Should I do anything else?
    oh yeah, I installed ver 1.52 and have NOT rebooted, to be safe I restored the hellzlittlespy and www.coolsearch back into the system
    What do I do next?

thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by chi-va View Post
    Hi rvnmaniac!

My posts are lost too. Something seems to wrong with your system. If I remember it correctly you have a Windows XP CD available. In this case I would recommend to build a BartPE CD. It is just a small download. You will need about 30 minutes to build the CD. The advantage is that you have an user interface similar to Windows XP which makes it easier to find and repair your system. No need to use stupid, confusing command lines.

Homepage from BartPE:
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Here is a little video for building the CD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78gKzcuq-dw

You can find a guide for repairing your system here(post 27):

Before you can use the above fix you have to find your Windows system first. I would recommend to use "Total commander" (a file manager) which you can find on your BartPE CD.

Find this folder:

c:\windows\system32\config

Probably it is c: but it could be a different one. Don't mix it up with the folder for BartPE. It is easily to distinguish if you just take a look if the drive contains your data.

If you have found your system drive please rename(right mouse on the specific file and choose rename):

'default.bak' to 'default'
    'sam.bak' to 'sam'
    'system.bak' to 'system'
    'software.bak' to 'software'
    'security.bak' to 'security'

This is necessary because we have to undo the changes from the recovery console. After that you can proceed like described in this post:

I have to ask it again because this is necessary to understand what has happen to your system. Do you only have used the recovery console to rename the file names? You haven't formated the drive nor created new partitions? The same with the ultimate boot CD?

Formatting and creating new partitions would definitely delete your data. So don't do it.
    having problems downloading the BartPE CD. Watching the you tube display my folder was missing the ISO file pebuilder3110a. So i will try downloading it again.........I've only used the recovery console and have not formatted the drive nor created new partitions.......

Quote Originally Posted by rvnmaniac View Post
    having problems downloading the BartPE CD. Watching the you tube display my folder was missing the ISO file pebuilder3110a. So i will try downloading it again.........I've only used the recovery console and have not formatted the drive nor created new partitions.......
    Downloaded again and got 4 Errors and 9 Warnings.......this is almost like work............

Ok, you can stop trying to build the BootCD. It seems that you don't have much luck. I guess that you are using an OEM version of Windows XP. Probably one from Dell. I'm almost out of ideas.

Do you have already tried all drive letters from a: to z: with NTFSDos? Wasn't there any folders if you used the 'dir' command? Please also try the command 'CHKDSK'. This will show you the data state of the drive.

Apart from that, do you have a second desktop computer where you can plug your hard disk?

Good Night!