Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do I need registry cleaner

Default do I need registry cleaner

I don't believe my laptop have virsus, but it's slow at startup and alot times and I don't see any unusual processes running. Is this a registry issue. Is buying registry cleaner the answer? Are there free registry fixes out there?

thanks.

You came right in time for a fine new article about registry cleaners
    See: Registry Cleaners, not recommended

"Unusual processes" are not something that a registry cleaner could cure anyway, if at all, registry cleaners would clean up startup entries for files that do no longer exist (such could cause no running processes).
    Just remember, love is life, and hate is living death.
    Treat your life for what it's worth, and live for every breath
    (Black Sabbath: A National Acrobat)

Can this forum help to identify why my laptop seems to be slow. The cpu and memory usage seems ok. Please advise.

thanks.
    Last edited by tashi; 2008-06-26 at 20:37. Reason: Mod: moved from RegAlyzer forum

As article said, Registry Cleaners Not Recommend, I would agree with such an article. Technically, the Windows OS registry is not really that big. It doesn't even take up 1/4 of the space in the hard drive.

What I don't like about Registry Cleaners, is that they promote a sense of paranoia. I don't believe they can optimize and I do not believe they can improve speed. What is most crucial about the registry is that it stores all the information of the Windows OS. Whether it's your favorite iPod video to your important documents. This also includes the Windows Boot up. A accidental or careless mistake can mean bad news.
    Windows Registry.
    --
    What I was thinking was that there might be a "clog" in your Startup Manager. I mean like too many entries or too much unnecessary ones.

What is your OS? The amount of RAM? Any service packs?

Open TASK MANAGER and check how many processes are running.

I have XP version 2002, service pack 2, 512MB ram.
    About 63 processes running.

where's the startup manager?

thanks.

Looks like a heck lot of processes running.

Trust me, on a 512MB of RAM, 63 simultaneous processes WILL overwhelm your processor. I have 28 processes on a simple OS, but in the hot weather in the U.S, the cooling fan is on 24/7.

My recommendation is to first:
    ~DEFRAGMENT your drive!
    ~Clear the cache, temp. files, and cookies from your browsers.

Just these two simple steps will make your machine run a whole lot faster. After that, we'll talk about the start-up manager.

So basically the Startup Manager is the place where programs boot when your computer boots. What really slows things down is that if you have a lot of unnecessary programs that run a start-up and you have no use for it, then it would be a huge drain on computer resources.

Defragment your drive using Auslogics Disk Defrag.

would you say the defraggler by piriform is good also?

I've been using advanced registry optimizer and tbh at first it made my computer boot up faster, etc. Now my computer has no malware at all, no traces, no virus, totally clean and it wants to run slower now than it should.

I'd have to agree that register cleaners can do more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by bay_life25 View Post
    would you say the defraggler by piriform is good also?
    Quote Originally Posted by KillahSam View Post
    I've been using advanced registry optimizer and tbh at first it made my computer boot up faster, etc. Now my computer has no malware at all, no traces, no virus, totally clean and it wants to run slower now than it should.

I'd have to agree that register cleaners can do more harm than good.
    @Bay, yes. Defraggler is good. However, what I don't like about Auslogics is it's nagging to download "BoostSpeed". Personally, I just ignore it. I use Auslogics, because of it's performance and fast defraggler.

@Sam, is ARO paid or a trial? Hm. Lols, what I find ironic is that even that you know the registry cleaners are bad, you're using it. Hm. How? In what way does it make your computer fast? It doesn't offer a Startup Manager. Nor malware protection. Registry cleaning... cleans malware and viruses . Sweet Sam -.-

Quote Originally Posted by KillahSam View Post
    ...and it wants to run slower now than it should.
    Lols. : )

Quote Originally Posted by drragostea View Post

@Sam, is ARO paid or a trial? Hm. Lols, what I find ironic is that even that you know the registry cleaners are bad, you're using it. Hm. How? In what way does it make your computer fast? It doesn't offer a Startup Manager. Nor malware protection. Registry cleaning... cleans malware and viruses . Sweet Sam -.-

Lols. : )
    I have the full version, I got linked to it from Ad-aware I tried it out. If I remember right it said something about it being able to boost PC performance, and something about time starting up. Well I tried it, I didn't know at first it just ended up making my computer worse than it was before sometimes.

& I was under the impression it just scanned for invalid registry entries and removed them to clean the registry of junk. I'm not sure about what the optimization does.