Thread: Program not responding...

Question Program not responding...

Hello! I am new to this forum and this is my first posting. Here is my dilema: SpyBot runs just GREAT on my laptop, but I cannot get the same success on my desktop. It runs through its cycle and when it is finished, I get the message that it is not responding and have to close it down and send a report to Microsoft about a "non-responding program". Can you help me with this problem as I have given it a really good try of more than 3 months!

Thanx!

MERI

Three months is quite some time... >.>

Is Spybot updated? The latest version is 1.5.2.20. What are the OS's of your labtop and desktop? Have you ever had any previous versions of Spybot on the computer? Have you uninstall it prior to installing a new version?

Just a question. Does Spybot successfully complete the scan on your desktop?

Yes, 3 months IS a long time! This forum is my last resort and then I'm going to get rid of this program!

Is Spybot updated? YES The latest version is 1.5.2.20. Yes, I know. What are the OS's of your labtop and desktop? Windows XP, Home. Have you ever had any previous versions of Spybot on the computer? NO. Have you uninstall it prior to installing a new version? I have uninstalled and reinstalled Spybot thinking this would solve the problem, but it hasn't!

Just a question. Does Spybot successfully complete the scan on your desktop? As far as I can tell, the scan is completed. There are items to be dealt with in the box at the bottom, but I cannot do anything then because the program is "not responding" and the curser is an hour glass unless I want to minimize or exit and then I get the "not responding" message again.

Thank you for your efforts and any more suggestions or questions will be welcomed.

MERI

Smile

Meri051846,

Can you put SpybotSD into Advanced mode, (Mode>Advanced) then go to Tools then View Report, then view previous report. Look for the report file called Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log, where the date and time relate to the last scan that led to the program hanging, and open that report.

Can you cut and past the report that is shown on the screen and include it in a post back to this forum.

Also can you advise whether your scan includes usage tracking (goto settings>file sets. Near the bottom of the list is the boxes for usage tracking. If they are ticked please untick and retry a scan.

Can you also advise whether there are any folders listed in Settings>Directories. If there are, please remove them - highlight, right click and remove. Retry a scan.

When Spybot has finished its scan, what do you see on the screen. There should be a green tick with "Congratulations, no immediate threats were found". Do you see this. If you don't and there is anything else shown, particularly in red, can you be specific in reporting exactly what is shown on the screen. If the scan does not get this far, there should be something shown on the status bar at the bottom left of the spybot screen.

Finally, is your browser open when you are running the scan - if it is, please try a scan with it closed. Incidentally, what browser do you use, and do you have Spybot's Browser helper enabled and or Teatimer enabled. Look at Tools>Resident and report whether there are ticks in the two boxes.

Lastly, what AV software are you using?
    Last edited by Greyfox; 2008-06-26 at 14:02.