Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: msinfo32 problems

Exclamation msinfo32 problems

I installed Spybot SD years ago and have benefitted from it immensly, but I found that it put my MSINFO32 file in the "Includes" folder and renamed it as an NFO file. How do I get it back to it's original state?

TIA

Sumarinax

Default odd things happen

Not an official answer, but maybe this will be of help..

This affected file would be MSINFO32.EXE, the Microsoft Help and Support application, yes? And this somehow got renamed with a .NFO extension and is now in the "Includes" folder?

1) If not already done, set so that *all* file extensions are visible by opening an Explorer window, then Tools -> Folder Options, Viewtab .. then uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types"

2) Start -> Search -> Files & Folders .. type MSINFO32.EXE and <key>Enter to confirm that the original is indeed renamed/relocated as you say - if MSINFO32.EXE is not found then there is further to be done. Try also search for MSINFO32.* (for me this shows a .CHM Help file, .DLL, etc)

3) The 'renamed/relocated' file is in C:\Program Files\Spybot Search & Destroy\Includes folder as something like MSI.NFO?

Default Msinfo

TFTR
    Well, what has happened is that Msinfo32.exe is in the correct place with the correct name:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo.
    When I either click on the shortcut to start the program from the Tools link in
    Help and Support, instead of opening the program, it opens another instance of the Help and Support home page!
    The same thing happens if I run a command prompt from Start > Run > msinfo32.
    No matter where it exists on my system, the same thing happens.
    I navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot Search & Destroy\Includes folder and find Targets.nfo.
    When I open that file, it opens the msinfo program, but with an error message that states:
    "System Information cannot open this NFO file. It might be corrupted or an unrecognized version"
    When I close the error message box, it displays all the information as usual, as least I hope it does!
    I have read multiple posts in different forums and have tried multiple remedies to no avail. I can get it to open appropriately by runnng a batch file from the MVPS site or by Run > "msinfo32 /categories +all -loadedmodules"
    both of which run the program without an error message. I have tried re registering various system files to no avail. I should be able to just type in 'MSINFO32' from Start > Run, or open it from Windows links or the program icon itself, but it won't happen.
    Any ideas?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

sumarinax:

Quote Originally Posted by sumarinax View Post
    ... No matter where it exists on my system, the same thing happens.
    I navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot Search & Destroy\Includes folder and find Targets.nfo.
    When I open that file, it opens the msinfo program, but with an error message that states:
    "System Information cannot open this NFO file. It might be corrupted or an unrecognized version" ...
    Why are you attempting to open that file by double clicking on it? It is not designed to be opened that way. I get an error if I double click on it too.

When I close the error message box, it displays all the information as usual, as least I hope it does!
    If I click OK on the error message, what is displayed on my system is not the information from the Targets.nfo file but the normal system information.

If you what to view the content of the Targets.nfo file open it with Notepad.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Why are you attempting to open that file by double clicking on it? It is not designed to be opened that way. I get an error if I double click on it too.

I'm probably confused as to what Targets.nfo actually is. I couldn't open any MSINFO32 file anywhere for a few years. The only way knew I could view the actual program in XP was to open the Targets.nfo file in that manner - by double clicking to open. I was unaware of other methods. Of course, I have used AIDA 32 and other programs that display detailed system information in various elegant formats. I'm just wanting my system to be able to use native programs like it was designed to do.

sumarinax:

When you receive a detection (problem) doing a scan ("check for problems"), you can display information about that detection by highlighting the problem and clicking on the bar on the right hand side of the problem display area. That information comes from the Targets.nfo file.

For more information see (including the attachment):

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default targets.nfo

Thanks, that was quite helpful. I'm guessing that Spybot SD didn't remove my use of MSINFO.

sumarinax:

... I'm guessing that Spybot SD didn't remove my use of MSINFO.
    No, Spybot is not messing around with the Microsoft System Information Tool. They're just using the file extention of ".nfo" (a contraction of "info", or "information"). See:

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    sumarinax:

No, Spybot is not messing around with the Microsoft System Information Tool. They're just using the file extention of ".nfo" (a contraction of "info", or "information"). See:
    md usa spybot fan,

Thanks again. I'm learning as I go. I'm uncertain as to how to repair access of MSINFO32 as it was previously, but as long as I can access it from other methods, I'll live with it for now. I either screwed it up, Microsoft updates did, or some malicious program did. Or a combination thereof. Makes me wonder what else is wrong. Been a long time since a clean install. Groan...

Success! I read a post in Rameshes forum and found this:

Reinstalling Help and Support Center in Windows XP
    Credits: Rebecca Chen [MS]
    Send your feedback

Please use the following steps to reinstall the Help and Support Center:
    Step I - End the Help and Support services

Click Start, click Run and type Taskmgr and click OK. This opens Task Manager. Click the Process tab. Stop all of the following processing if running:

* helpsvc.exe
    * helphost.exe
    * helpctr.exe

Step II - Reinstall Help and Support

* Click Start, click Run and type CMD, and click OK.
    * In Command Prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each line: (Alternately, create a Batch file and run.)

net stop helpsvc
    cd /d %windir%\pchealth\helpctr
    rd packagestore /s /q
    rd installedskus /s /q
    cd binaries
    start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install
    start /w helpsvc /register

Note: The “start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install" command line reinstalls Help and Support, which may take several minutes.

Ran it, and voila, MSINFO runs from a command prompt and from the Advanced system information link in Help and Support, (which runs faster now.) Should System Information be embedded in the Home and Support graphic header when it displays?
    Thanks for the support from ME_2& and md usa spybot fan.